The Great Carto Tank Death Match Round 1. Liquinator vs Depth Charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
wouldn't it be simple to get a longer tube from Jonah?
On the topic of making a 'depth charginator' the two are incompatible. the tubes are different diameters. You 'can' get a bigger tube from Vapor Age by getting the longer torpedo tank tube but imo that should have been the size tube it came with. I personally wont pay 50 bucks for sometihng then 4 more to make it what it should have been. It wont resolve the refilling issue either, the caps are very deep so you have to push the carto pretty far in to get juice in unless you use a needle and even then it's still a pain in the .....

On the topic of hte big daddy, I havn't seen those before. I'll check into em, if it's in the budget I'll order one to test. THe next tank I get will be going up against the current champ, the liquinator.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Just in case anyone was curious, that big daddy tank now has the 3ml on the site it is called the lil mama. Now that I ahve seen those depth charge caps I am having a hard time not wanting one. Also in case anyone wants to put a fill hole in the side. I used a tap from ace hardware and made sure that the thread was one that they had the correlating screw for. I chucked the tap into a drill and drilled for a really long time and it eventually went through but if you drill a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the tap then it will probably be a much quicker job. My only problem is I should have used a slightly bigger tap because the hole I have would work best with a needle tip rather than standard dripper bottles.

Also is there a reason why the torpedo tanks will not work with regular cartos? Is the top hole to small?

Last edited:

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
I dunno about the lil mamma or the torpedo. Length is a big factor on tanks. The liquinator goes all the way to the end of the carto on both top and bottom. It couldn't be any longer and still fit on a standard length carto. The depth charge has maybe a quarter inch sticking out with the 'standard carto' sized tank that I bought. Add to that that the caps are thicker than the liquinators and you have a double whammy against the capacity. I got a couple PMs about my review and let me go on record and say that the depth charge is a peice of functional art. It's beautiful and it works exceptionally well once you get it full. it's snug on the carto and looks great.

However, a tank is designed for one reason... to increase liquid carrying capacity. The perfect tank has good capacity and is easy to use. The depth charge is neither. WHile it IS beautiful, well crafted, and fully functional, its lost sight of what tanks are for.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Not necessarily; imo (and i'm a newb when it comes to tanks) i want a tank to make the carto vape and taste good all the time; meaning sufficient wetness and last longer of course... and if it gets that in time equal to more than a few carto fills, then it aint bad....
I see your point but size of tank seems relative.
I dunno about the lil mamma or the torpedo. Length is a big factor on tanks. The liquinator goes all the way to the end of the carto on both top and bottom. It couldn't be any longer and still fit on a standard length carto. The depth charge has maybe a quarter inch sticking out with the 'standard carto' sized tank that I bought. Add to that that the caps are thicker than the liquinators and you have a double whammy against the capacity. I got a couple PMs about my review and let me go on record and say that the depth charge is a peice of functional art. It's beautiful and it works exceptionally well once you get it full. it's snug on the carto and looks great.

However, a tank is designed for one reason... to increase liquid carrying capacity. The perfect tank has good capacity and is easy to use. The depth charge is neither. WHile it IS beautiful, well crafted, and fully functional, its lost sight of what tanks are for.

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
I agree to a point, an un-recognized benefit of tanks is the nice cool, wet, constantly full carto taste. Most people are just lookin for capacity though and then realize "Ohh tanks taste nice and are pleasant" so capacity is still a primary goal imo. In regards to the flavor and wetness the depth charge obviously does it's thing. the annoyance with refilling just compounds my annoyance with it's capacity though. I will most likely add a bigger tube to mine and port it for syringe refilling. If it had those features 'right now' I'd put it well over the liquinator.

Nitroturtle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Ohio
I have both the Liquinator and Depth Charge, and I disagree with the assessment in this post. My Liquinator has been sitting unused since I received the Depth Charge due to the fact that it's actually MUCH easier to fill. I just simply slide the top cap off while it's still connected to my PV, fill to about 1/4" from the top, push the top cap down till the o-ring makes contact, flip it over so the air pocket is by the carto hole and push the top all the way in. After some practice, I can now do this and only leave one very small air bubble inside the tank, all without even removing it from my PV. Unlike my Liquinator, which requires me to push the carto in one end to fill, my Depth Charge o-rings are still in good shape and haven't needed replaced. I don't even mind the smaller capacity because it only takes me about a minute to fill it back up again.

tyleris12

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Michigan
I have both the Liquinator and Depth Charge, and I disagree with the assessment in this post. My Liquinator has been sitting unused since I received the Depth Charge due to the fact that it's actually MUCH easier to fill. I just simply slide the top cap off while it's still connected to my PV, fill to about 1/4" from the top, push the top cap down till the o-ring makes contact, flip it over so the air pocket is by the carto hole and push the top all the way in. After some practice, I can now do this and only leave one very small air bubble inside the tank, all without even removing it from my PV. Unlike my Liquinator, which requires me to push the carto in one end to fill, my Depth Charge o-rings are still in good shape and haven't needed replaced. I don't even mind the smaller capacity because it only takes me about a minute to fill it back up again.

I totally agree...exactly what I do too and love the Depth Charge!! :)

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
hey, too each their own. I'm using my depth charge still I just dunno for how long. Taking the top cap off worries me because of how snug the inner o-ring is, I'm worried about damaging it when I put it back over the carto. As for my liquinators, two of them are two months old and have had probably 20 refills each and neither leak at all. I may be one of the lucky few who don't have problems or maybe they've rectified the issue in the latest version.

They're both great, and neither perfect. i listed my perfect tank in a previous post ;) it'd be a pain in the .... to make though, I know I've been tryin!

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
I got my lil mama tank from big daddy vapor. We may have a new champ. Dunno how long lived it'll be though, I got on the list for a jonboyusmc tank this week, should have it next week, and it's a freakin work of art.

The BDV lil mama is nice, it's like a sleeker liquinator, pretty much identical in size, very slightly more capacity, cheaper but no carto/drip tip comes with it. full deathmatch review tomorrow most likely.

REET_AZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
I have a Depth charge, a DCT MAP Tank, and a liquinator. For me, the Depth Charge wins and I am done looking for a tank.

I am using it on a Provari, and using a Boge standard or high resistance atty is a win to go past 4.0 by much. And the form factor is perfect to me. I love that it doesn't look all crammed on, and has space below the tank and above. On the Provari with the SS Ming drip tip? Beauteous.

The first couple of fills were more of a challenge...but I'm pretty quick at it now. Turning it upside down like the previous poster suggested is a great idea...I will try that!

ajlee613

Jul 17, 2011
Bay Area, California
i feel like the liquinator gets clogged up really easily, all of my pre-orderd slotted cartos have gotten clogged up after a little while and i need to blow liquid out all the time. i have ordered over 10 slotted cartos and some are slightly better than others but they all end up doing this... its very frustrating.

i do not over saturate the cartos and i have expiramented with dropping a few drops on fresh ones vs going dry and giving a couple pulls without the button pressed.

i have used 100% VG juice so its fairly thick yet it still ends up this way.

and for some reason boba's bounty does not seem to work at all even when i throw 10+ drops into a fresh slotted carto and on top of that give it a bunch of draws without pressing the button.

i think vaporizers have reached a pretty good point, but i think juices and tanks have a long long way to go before they are convienent enough to be accepted by the mainstream.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
i have 2 depth charges; one small one large... i guess the caps are the same, just different size tubes no?
I also got a proto pyrex tube from Jonah, i guess 'cause i bought both, as a freebie... one edge is not even whatever they do to pyrex to cut it off, and i use it for the top since i want the bottom snug when i put the juice in; i guess it doesn't matter as long as the cap is on with the o ring sufficiently.
It's in between the two as far as size.
I can't figure out what the small tube is for as it is too short even for the Boge. I use a Fusion carto with the pyrex and even with the bottom cuff, it seems to fit perfectly.
The vape is superb, at 2.3 Ohm on the Vari at 4.0v. Not bubbling, not hot, it's smooth and even; lots of vapor ! and yes the look is fantastic on the silver Vari.

I tried a Boge LR (2.3Ohm ?) tonite with the longer and punched just one hole. It was terrible; bubbly, juice coming up into the d/t, hot...threw it out. (the carto).

All along I felt the inner o ring part of the cap was a super tight fit, which imo, is probably good, but i've seen straight carto rim cutting off edges of the orange o ring... ouch! Don't know how that will play out, but i guess we can get more o rings.... I wonder how the heck he gets them on from the inside?

Anyway, I can't spend all evening fiddling with the damn things... enough for now, and just happy to enjoy the full tank with the Fusion.
Thanks for the tip on turning it...
btw I had a Liquinator for dual cartos and it worked great... as far as function... but i didn't like the dc vape that much... a little noisy and slightly hot. but much better than what happened to the Boge today.

I agree that it's not as easy as it looks, unless you get just the right set up for a particular carto....

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread