The impatient newbie strikes again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Okay...A short update.

I stopped cooking the #2 extraction after 48 hours. I let it cool a bit and am now starting the filtering process.

A couple of observations of the #2 extraction:

Wow, when you start out with 50ml instead of 90ml there is a big difference in the final product quantity. I am just estimating at the moment but it looks like I might end up with about 25ml of finished product for each of these mixes. That would be 2 days of cooking for 50ml total, just a little disappointing. It may in fact be more concentrated but I don't know that yet.

Next time I will for sure make larger quantities even if I have to use more tobacco.

The VG that was cooked by itself is still mostly clear. It has a slight, and I mean SLIGHT, yellow tint to it. I have not tried vaping it yet but will do so soon.

Some observations about the #1 extraction from last week:

The RY4s I mixed with the extraction taste awesome! After steeping for a few days they just kept getting better. Very smoooooth and a REALLY mild tobacco flavor. The are by far the best RY4s I have ever made.

I am vaping the Vinegar/Water/VG extraction from last week as I write this. It is not diluted with anything. It has a very slight vinegar taste. By slight I mean if I didn't know it was vinegar, I would have a hard time identifying what it was. The vinegar extraction has much less tobacco flavor than the water/VG extraction. I do seem to be getting a little extra buzz from the vinegar extraction though. It tastes okay but I prefer the Water/VG extraction.

Pete

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Ok did my first extraction tonight. Took an all tobacco cigar (got a locally made cheapie for my first attempt) and crumbled it into 50mls of water. I brought it just to a boil then added 100mls of VG. Heated at 200 for 2 hours and strained through a coffee filter. It smells and tastes fantastic. Going to let it cool overnight and drip some in the morning :)
I'll let you know how it is :)

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Ok first extraction tastes great - smooth tobacco flavor - bit thin with very little vapor though. I'm going to try to evaporate it down a bit.
Did second one last night - used a premium cigar - I put 90mls of water in and simmered it until all the water was gone but tobacco was still very moist - added 240mls vg and simmered for 90 mins until it stopped steaming and just a tiny bit of smoke come off - smells and tastes pretty good - much thicker - letting it steep another day then going to drip some. I ended up with just under 260mls. so most of water seems to be gone.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I mixed up some of my extract (about 30% extract) with a little Capellas Peaches and Cream (1 drop per 3 ml) and a bit of vanilla...OMG! Very tasty!
I love DIY but have shyed away from tobaccos because
a. I've never tried a tobacco juice that actually tasted like any tobacco I'd want to vape
b. I've read some of the recipes for diy tobaccos...yikes! NOT that into diy ;)
This I can do :)

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
I mixed up some of my extract (about 30% extract) with a little Capellas Peaches and Cream (1 drop per 3 ml) and a bit of vanilla...OMG! Very tasty!
I love DIY but have shyed away from tobaccos because
a. I've never tried a tobacco juice that actually tasted like any tobacco I'd want to vape
b. I've read some of the recipes for diy tobaccos...yikes! NOT that into diy ;)
This I can do :)

Was this the extract you made with your Crock Pot?

What color did your extraction turn out to be?

Isn't this cool? It really works! I am so glad it worked for you!

Pete

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Ok first extraction tastes great - smooth tobacco flavor - bit thin with very little vapor though. I'm going to try to evaporate it down a bit.
Did second one last night - used a premium cigar - I put 90mls of water in and simmered it until all the water was gone but tobacco was still very moist - added 240mls vg and simmered for 90 mins until it stopped steaming and just a tiny bit of smoke come off - smells and tastes pretty good - much thicker - letting it steep another day then going to drip some. I ended up with just under 260mls. so most of water seems to be gone.

Yeah, I was surprised at how little vapor was produced considering that my extract was at least 80% VG.

Now you need to do like Bostonsnboxers and I did, flavor one of your mixes with a bit of the extraction. It will knock your socks off!

I like that you are using a different process to your extractions. We may end up with 2 ways of doing this. Your way is for sure much faster.

Pete

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Was this the extract you made with your Crock Pot?

What color did your extraction turn out to be?

Isn't this cool? It really works! I am so glad it worked for you!

Pete

My 'mini' crock pot, yes, and it ended up the color of daaaaaark chocolate. Not black, but almost. It's just Gambler tube cut light tobacco, nothing fancy. It's a mild flavor, but flavorFUL....hard to describe, but I love it! I added the vinegar after the 'cook', but before the strain (it soaked in the vinegar a bit) so I didn't add any to my mix at all...didn't need it :)

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
This sounds great! Care to share a recipe?

Oh...That would take all the fun out of it!

Just think....

You wouldn't have to struggle with the 5 different kinds of caramel and 4 different kinds of vanilla, let alone all the different ratios and combinations you could come up with!

Just think of all that lost anxiety waiting for the postman to show up with what you just know will be the PERFECT caramel this time!

All that fun would be just gone! Vaporized with 5 little lines of recipe!

It...It just wouldn't be fair for me to steal all that fun from you.

Pete:)

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Ok update. The 2nd batch tastes great. Nice mild tobacco flavor. I mixed some ry4 using some of each extraction and it's amazing. I mixed some juice up with just the 2 extractions and some vg and nicotine - omg tastes exactly like an analog - my skeptical wife was even amazed how close it is. Tomorrows adventure mixing a menthol blend.
Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas. :)

Malawi

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
Norway
I've been following this thread, and am going to try this. I'm getting low on VG, and was wondering if there would be any problem with PG in a crock pot (in a jar, sitting in water). I assume that it would be OK, but thought I'd check first.

Check out this tread. It's a user who extracted using VG.

I have done extracting with alcohol and water that has been moderately successful. Have been working to much to get to my "second batch". But should get some free time soon to try out the VG method, and the same with PG. I also want to use alcohol, but seems like I am left with too much residue that can clog up the atty (but would be willing to switch attys often if it turns out good enough). I think that water-extraction is probably not worth the effort.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I've been following this thread, and am going to try this. I'm getting low on VG, and was wondering if there would be any problem with PG in a crock pot (in a jar, sitting in water). I assume that it would be OK, but thought I'd check first.

Sorry, don't know how I missed this, but I've used PG. It was great! The only reason I switched to VG with my last one was that my nic is PG based and I didn't want to add a lot more PG. I'm trying to gravitate more toward a VG heavy base. It's well known and documented that PG is an excellent flavor carrier....

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
Thanks for the replies. I have some old pipe tobacco here, and I picked up some RYO tobacco today, so hopefully I'll have time to get some brewing tonight.
When people mention adding 20% water to their VG, does it serve any purpose other than thinning? Any need to add some to my PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread