Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter of 2017
Mixed @ 10% (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) Feb 2019

C&D's Briar Fox is a pressed cake made of various Virginias with a Burley added. Even the retailer admits this has a grassy yet sweet taste to it. This description is accurate. Briar Fox is very sweet and very grassy. Yet it is not unpleasant. It makes for a very smooth vape. There may be an ever so slight nutty undertone from the Burley, but the sweetness and grassy body of the Virginias are front and center.
If you prefer a smooth, grassy and sweet flavor, this could wind up being an All-Day selection. I personally like a little more complex flavors, but this is still something I can enjoy occasionally.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hearth & Home Mid-Town Chestnut - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter of 2017
Mixed @10% (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) Feb 2019

This is a complex moderate flavored mixture that had rave reviews at P&C. So I thought I would give a try. Burley, Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Turkish and a touch of Latakia. I must admit even at 10% extract it is a hearty flavor, yet smooth and enjoyable. The Latakia gives it a little 'licorice' aftertaste, but that is all. This selection is so complex that neither tobacco overtakes the blend. The Virginia adds a touch off sweet to the Burley, Maryland and Kentucky blend. The Turkish gives it body. And as I said the touch of Latakia is the finishing note of a very well balanced blend. This could make for a good evening vape for some, others might see it as an All-Day vape.
Either way, it deserves a trial, and maybe even a spot in the rotation.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
@ PapawBrett,
That has been my ADV since like a year ago, when I did it as my first extract. I use pretty much the same method you do. I've done a bunch of other extractions, but this one is the one I've done several batches of, and is the tried and true that I keep coming back to.

The 84 Turkish will be my Birthday Vape today ! Gotta love that clean taste.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S - Pipes and Cigars

Extract (cold maceration) winter of 2019
Mixed @ 10% (30/70 PG/VG, 10mg nicotine) 6/10/19

Might have rushed this one a little bit. Those who are familiar with McClelland Tobaccos are remiss that they have closed their doors due to Gub'ment regulations. The McClelland 5015 Stoved Virginia was a favorite for smokers and vapes alike, as it delivered a rich, smokey taste that LAWaters and I discussed on the first page of this thread. McClelland's version was an almost cigar like flavor.
Sutliff made no bones about it - this selection is actually being advertised as a replacement for the no longer available McClelland 5015 Stoved Virginia. I believe they fell short of the mark. This Stoved Virginia is sweeter and a lot less smokey. The natural sugars of the Virginia tobacco becomes an almost caramel flavor. There is little to no smokey texture to the vape. The comparison with McClelland's 5015 is more marketing than reality.
That being said, this is still an enjoyable flavor. The smooth, sweet nature of bright Virginia tobacco is caramelized by the stoved process. There are no grassy notes as many Virginia tobaccos, just a smooth and sweet tobacco flavor with caramel notes. As a single tobacco with a sweet and smooth profile, it is quite pleasing.
If you are looking for a replacement for McClelland's Stoved Virginia, look elsewhere. If you would like a smooth, sweet and mild tobacco flavor, you might want to give this one a try.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Pipesandcigars.com. Huge selection, info for each item. I also like the way they profile each selection, but you have to click on the circled I for complete info. And you can limit your search by several parameters.
You could also look for a JR Cigars, or similar company in your area. A respected retailer with a walk-in humidor. They would undoubtably have several 'house blends' they sell in bulk. If you go that route, make sure to discuss your options with a staff member.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doffy

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Last edited:
Reactions: Doffy

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Pipesandcigars.com. Huge selection, info for each item. I also like the way they profile each selection, but you have to click on the circled I for complete info. And you can limit your search by several parameters.
You could also look for a JR Cigars, or similar company in your area. A respected retailer with a walk-in humidor. They would undoubtably have several 'house blends' they sell in bulk. If you go that route, make sure to discuss your options with a staff member.
Will check them out........so I see a few of your recipes, like the black cherry. I do vape a non net from indigo vapes called uncle cutty , which I enjoy, so might give that a try first. I know it's going to be a net, so perhaps much different then the one i vape, but one thing i dont enjoy is smokey...i have tried a few nets from net.com and mount oak vapors that tasted like a fire, like very ashy and couldnt vape it at all. It was nothing like hhv nets, black note, or goodejuice. I think the ones from net.com and mov were like real nets maybe? They were dark and definitely coil gunkers. So is this difference in the extraction process or the filtering? I just dont want to make any ashtray juice

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Filtration is key. Coffee filters and most of what is labelled "Lab Filters" are insufficient. There is a measurement called "macron" in reference to lab paper. The smaller the number, less gets through. I use lab paper with a macron rating of 2. An Aeropress and Lab paper can be had for about $40.
@YearsOfCigars has recently began posting about using a centrifuge for separating extract from sediments. I haven't heard of this process for NETs before, by the science behind it is sound. Not so sure about the cost or safety involved. Here is the thread I am referring to ; NET Centrifuge Filtration of DIY NET
Most Vendors who still make their own extracts are using vacuum systems to draw the extract through very fine filters, probably 1 macron. Super clean, but expensive for someone just making a few at home.
Either way, filtering the sediments and particles is the key to a good, enjoyable NET liquid.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It's July. Heat and Humidity in the Southland.
I just filtered 11 different NET flavors in the last five weeks.
And I am already making a Wish List at pipesandcigard.com for this coming winter... o_O

I think I have to watch against this obsessive, compulsive behavior :D
Do I remember you saying to bronze, something about one of your extracts or a particular leaf that it had similar notes to hhv's dragons fire?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Do I remember you saying to bronze, something about one of your extracts or a particular leaf that it had similar notes to hhv's dragons fire?

Scotty's Honey and Chocolate. Same flavor profile as Dragon's Fire. It's one of my regular orders.

Reactions: vapdivrr

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Lane Limited BCA - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter 2019
Mixed @15% (35/65 @10mg nicotine) 6/2

Lane BCA is advertised as a Fire-Cured and Steamed Cavendish. P&C claims it is their best selling Black Cavendish,and out of nearly 240 customer reviews nearly 90% give it five stars.
However, like most Aromatics, it does not transfer well to vaping. After letting it steep for a month, there was little to no flavor. I added another 5% of extract just to try to get some flavor out of it.
There is an ever-so-slight vanilla tobacco texture to this, and it leaves an aftertaste of a vanilla liquor. But after three months of cold maceration, one would expect more flavor than this selection provides. At times it feels like vaping air, until after you exhale and get a slight vanilla liquor taste on the lips. For something that is supposed to be fire cured and steamed, I personally am disappointed.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Christmas Spice - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter 2019
Mixed @ 10% (30/70 PG/VG w/10mg nicotine) 6/1

This is your standard Sutliff Virginia-Burley-Black Cavendish flavored with a top note variety. Advertised as a "Christmas Tobacco", the top notes listed include Vanilla, Caramel, Cinnamon and Nutmeg.
The tobacco is very standard and plain as the top notes are expected to carry the flavor. This is comes across as a RY4 variant with a touch of spice added by the Cinnamon and Nutmeg. Neither flavor takes the lead. I personally find this to be a sweet flavor with just a touch of spice added. Anyone who has enjoyed RY4 flavors, or any variety of spiced tobacco flavors might give this one a try.

Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread