The REOville lounge

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Hey there Reo group. First time in a very long time. Just asking, do any of you remember J.C. Okie? I often wonder what became of her. She was sort of a mentor to me many years ago re: juicing!

Hey olefolks - good to hear from you again.

Jan hasn't been by here for a few years, by now I think. I believe she had a personal issue in her family that required her full attention (not her own health).

She was, indeed, a special Reonaut. The most charity-minded of us all. Always there with tips and answers, always the first to offer up a care package of cotton or spare screws.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Thank you @Joules_Verne for saying hey! Ditto re what you said re needing a “fidget gadget” and I am back down to 3 mg after re-visiting 6 mg at the start of the pandemic.
Hope you all are well. Gratefully my beloved and I got our vaccines! Sending lots of virtual hugs to our Reonaut Family.

Which maker did you choose?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Hey there Reo group. First time in a very long time. Just asking, do any of you remember J.C. Okie? I often wonder what became of her. She was sort of a mentor to me many years ago re: juicing!

I remember but have not seen the name for a very long time.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Without a doubt, she is a sweetheart. I remember her daughter was having a medical problem. Hope it all worked out for the both of them. Just would enjoy talking to her again. You are looking good Papa!

You are right @olefolks, she went to live with her daughter temporarily to help out taking care of her kids. No idea how that worked out as she never came back. Jan is very special and was always there for anyone that she could help. She is still missed, both online and when we talked on the phone years ago.

Good to see that another very special lady is still keeping the torch burning bright here to keep this place alive. Hope all is well with you @Robinowitz with no fires/floods in store for you this year (nor any along my old stomping grounds in the 60's around the Jenner/Russian River area near you).

Back to the refuge...
vetwave_C3vrmit.gif

• Love
Reactions: Robinowitz

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Which vaccine did you take, J&J, Moderna or Pfizer? I was not clear and would like to know which manufacturer people choose. I hope that is not too personal to be asking.
Oh thanks. Now I understand. The vaccine that I got was Pfizer. It was quite by accident (gratefully). I took my beloved over for her 1st vaccine appointment and because it was the end of the day and there were a couple no-shows, they had a couple doses that were going to need to be wasted. (Short shelf life after de-frost). I couldn’t get my deltoid muscle out quick enough. Haha

I haven’t heard of anyone choosing which vaccine they wanted. Generally, clinics have one brand at a time, at least out here.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
You are right @olefolks, she went to live with her daughter temporarily to help out taking care of her kids. No idea how that worked out as she never came back. Jan is very special and was always there for anyone that she could help. She is still missed, both online and when we talked on the phone years ago.

Good to see that another very special lady is still keeping the torch burning bright here to keep this place alive. Hope all is well with you @Robinowitz with no fires/floods in store for you this year (nor any along my old stomping grounds in the 60's around the Jenner/Russian River area near you).

Back to the refuge...
View attachment 934653
Hey there @Spydro! Always great to hear from you too. Just the other day you crossed my thoughts. No kidding.
It looks like you stopped vaping? You are in good company with a few others here in Reoville who still lend some wisdom and kindness.
Yep, so far this year, no flood OR fire! Yahoo! Now, I would feel a bit more relaxed about “fire season” aka summer/fall if we could get some more rain this winter. Fingers crossed.
And yes, even with the not-so-fun stuff, there is no where else we would rather live. Some good news too is that the forest floor of Armstrong Woods State Park will be opening by Memorial Weekend! While there was a lot of damage above the floor, our volunteers and first responders protected so mamy of the first generation redwoods.
On Wed., we took a walk down to Johnson’s Beach. No matter how many times I have visited the river, it still takes my breath away. Redwoods AND a river. Double cool.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Oh thanks. Now I understand. The vaccine that I got was Pfizer. It was quite by accident (gratefully). I took my beloved over for her 1st vaccine appointment and because it was the end of the day and there were a couple no-shows, they had a couple doses that were going to need to be wasted. (Short shelf life after de-frost). I couldn’t get my deltoid muscle out quick enough. Haha

I haven’t heard of anyone choosing which vaccine they wanted. Generally, clinics have one brand at a time, at least out here.

Here it is choose your clinic, you get what they got.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
reonauts might @inspects (Dale) from years ago. Just letting you know that he passed away last week

(sigh) I remember Dale from the old Catfish days in their height. He also helped me and my wife (via email) to get acquainted with the Scottsdale area when we got a place down there.

How are you holding up, Doffy? Oz seems to be lowering the boom on vaping these days.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
(sigh) I remember Dale from the old Catfish days in their height. He also helped me and my wife (via email) to get acquainted with the Scottsdale area when we got a place down there.

How are you holding up, Doffy? Oz seems to be lowering the boom on vaping these days.
I'm okay

October, vaping regulations get tweaks

How are you?

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'm okay

October, vaping regulations get tweaks

How are you?

Doing well, in spite of everything. Gave up the vape like a few others in here, so not affected by regs or clampdowns. Living on a small island, so not really affected by covid, either.

Got some chooks and ducks, which you'd appreciate.

How's that nature preserve near you doing? I remember it coming back after some damage/neglect.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hey there @Spydro! Always great to hear from you too. Just the other day you crossed my thoughts. No kidding.
It looks like you stopped vaping? You are in good company with a few others here in Reoville who still lend some wisdom and kindness.
Yep, so far this year, no flood OR fire! Yahoo! Now, I would feel a bit more relaxed about “fire season” aka summer/fall if we could get some more rain this winter. Fingers crossed.
And yes, even with the not-so-fun stuff, there is no where else we would rather live. Some good news too is that the forest floor of Armstrong Woods State Park will be opening by Memorial Weekend! While there was a lot of damage above the floor, our volunteers and first responders protected so mamy of the first generation redwoods.
On Wed., we took a walk down to Johnson’s Beach. No matter how many times I have visited the river, it still takes my breath away. Redwoods AND a river. Double cool.

While my girlfriend (then wife) and I went to see most of the Redwood sites in CA, some multiple times, "ours" was in Palo Colorado Canyon between Big Sur and Carmel by the Sea where we lived after we left San Francisco.

Several times I've zoomed in on Google Maps to try to find the cabin we always stayed in on the Russian River when in that area. But way too much has changed in the 50+ years since the last time we were there in 1969. I also don't recognize the changes in Guerneville much either because we mostly just stopped in there to buy some supplies when my girlfriend/wife I drove up from San Francisco. Making runs to surf fish near Jenner, and to a 100+ foot high cliff above the ocean some miles south of Point Area was what we targeted on most of those trips to get the biggest Red Abalone and Urchins found in CA there. For the Abs you had to go at the extreme lowest tides of the year, the only times the tide went out far enough to expose the rocks by the cliff base... IOW the waves cashed high up the face of the cliff the rest of the time. Someone had anchored a 1" steel cable into the cliff to scale down and climb back up with. My lady wasn't strong enough, so she sat on my chest going down and back up. Even at the lowest tides we only had about 90 minutes down in the rocks before the waves would soon start smashing into the cliff again about 30 minutes later (our far more than enough safety time to get back up the cliff). But I could get my 5 per day limit of Abs that would yield from 8-10 dinner plate sized abalone steaks, and my lady more than enough urchin roe for us as well. Typically we slept in the forest near there and made a second trip down the next day to double the bounty.

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Here it is choose your clinic, you get what they got.
Hey CMD! I got Pfizer at the Norton site in Louisville. First one, sore arm for a day; second shot laid me up for a couple of days (headache, muscle/joint pain, dizziness), but a couple days of cruddy sure beats a ventilator! :)

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
While my girlfriend (then wife) went to see most of the Redwood sites in CA, some multiple times, "ours" was in Palo Colorado Canyon between Big Sur and Carmel by the Sea where we lived after we left San Francisco.

Several times I've zoomed in on Google Maps to try to find the cabin we always stayed in on the Russian River when in that area. But way too much has changed in the 50+ years since the last time we were there in 1969. I also don't recognize the changes in Guerneville much either because we mostly just stopped in there to buy some supplies when my girlfriend/wife I drove up from San Francisco. Making runs to surf fish near Jenner, and to a 100+ foot high cliff above the ocean some miles south of Point Area was what we targeted on most of those trips to get the biggest Red Abalone and Urchins found in CA there. For the Abs you had to go at the extreme lowest tides of the year, the only times the tide went out far enough to expose the rocks by the cliff base... IOW the waves cashed high up the face of the cliff the rest of the time. Someone had anchored a 1" steel cable into the cliff to scale down and climb back up with. My lady wasn't strong enough, so she sat on my chest going down and back up. Even at the lowest tides we only had about 90 minutes down in the rocks before the waves would soon start smashing into the cliff again about 30 minutes later (our far more than enough safety time to get back up the cliff). But I could get my 5 per day limit of Abs that would yield from 8-10 dinner plate sized abalone steaks, and my lady more than enough urchin roe for us as well. Typically we slept in the forest near there and made a second trip down the next day to double the bounty.
What a fabulous account of some fun times surrounded by nature’s beauty! I found myself sitting towards the front of my chair with each line. Thank you @Spydro. Tis always a pleasure hearing from you and hearing about some of your adventures. Are you still living in the desert? Wild flower time?

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Hey CMD! I got Pfizer at the Norton site in Louisville. First one, sore arm for a day; second shot laid me up for a couple of days (headache, muscle/joint pain, dizziness), but a couple days of cruddy sure beats a ventilator! :)
Yep, we got Pfizer too. Just a day or so of arm pain and a bit tired after the 2nd one. A friend in the medical field suggested that hydrating before and following vaccine helps with symptoms too. I followed it. May have helped with decreased symptoms??. And yes, Sure beats a ventilator or worse....

• Informative
Reactions: CMD-Ky

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
What a fabulous account of some fun times surrounded by nature’s beauty! I found myself sitting towards the front of my chair with each line. Thank you @Spydro. Tis always a pleasure hearing from you and hearing about some of your adventures. Are you still living in the desert? Wild flower time?

@Robinowitz I've been a desert dweller on the Mojave Desert for almost 29 years (19 of it a solo life). The explosion of wildflower season on the desert here typically runs from mid February to mid April. So it is winding down with the temperature here on its way up to being the fires of hell in summer. I haven't been able to travel out to where the best shows of flowers on the desert are for around 10 years though. Where I've lived for a dozen years now is a desert landscape, but its one that is man made. My big ranch house before here was in the real desert with all the wildflowers and all the wild creatures that lived there with me. Bobcats, coyotes, fox, cottontail rabbits, ground squirrels, bats, rattlesnakes, lizards, tarantulas, bark scorpions, roadrunners, quail, dove, all the migratory song birds and hummingbirds, butterflies, etc and I had feeders and water fountains for all of them. The male bobcat was like a miffed pet that would walk up to me, look up at me with an uninterested stare with his bobbed tail twitching, then rub against my leg(s) as he walked away. The quail pecked at my toes, the hummers landed on me, the rabbits stood up on their hind legs to beg treats from me. IOW, the creatures there were my "family". Visitors called my place Wild Kingdom (after the old Marlin Perkins/Mutual of Omaha's wildlife TV show from the early 60's to mid 80's when he died). I still have the bark scorpions (just found two of them in my place this week, one on the floor, the other up on a wall) two+ months earlier than normal that are a serious threat to young children and old pharts like me at night (since I never wear shoes). Before the season for them is over I'll have dozens of them sharing my place inside with me. I also find rattlesnakes here sometimes (outside), I catch them and relocate them to where they can live safely away from humans. A sad change has been that over the years I've lived here almost all other wildlife, insects, etc that was here have disappeared completely that I used to sit long hours on my patio watching every day (even in the extreme heat). So there is not much worth my going outside for anymore.

Long winded and off topic (but the topic here is no longer a part of my life).

Users who are viewing this thread