Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Mine's only 3 months, but really like it. Picked it over the Vamo since I figured the all stainless construction shouldn't have the 510 thread issues that seem to plague that one.

Run a variety of toppers: PT1, PT2, Unitank, Davide, and Hypertank. Although I never go out without at least one backup, a full hypertank and a fresh 2900 Samsung 18650 gives me a nice secure feeling :)

NativeTexan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lampasas Texas
I just purchased a SVD on ebay for $42.99. I have never used one, but I came here hoping for high reviews. I currently have a Lavatube that is over a year old.

I like the resemblance of the SVD to a lightsaber hilt(yes I am a big SW nerd). I looked at an SVD in a local vape shop after purchasing mine on ebay and now I am concerned that my hypertank is going to be monstrous sitting on top of the SVD.

Input, thoughts, advice? All would be greatly appreciated.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I have a couple Hyper's, and they look good atop the SVD. Well, in 18650 mode. Haven't put it in the shorter modes since I prefer the longer run-time with the bigger batteries. But the Hyper is a good fit on top, the flat top ring of the SVD is darn near a perfect fit.

Put a small amount of conductive thread lube Z(NoAlox or equivalent) on the tube threads.

Play with the settings until you're happy, then engage the LOC so you don't inadvertently change them.

Some have expressed, uh, challenges? finding the fire button without looking, hitting either the + or - button instead. I'll generally just "find" the screen with my thumb, and the fire button is opposite. But that's another reason to LOC the settings.

And unless they've changed the manual, the positive end of the battery goes toward the topper end, not the negative end, as my manual says! It is reverse polarity protected, but what a goof!

NativeTexan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lampasas Texas
I have a couple Hyper's, and they look good atop the SVD. Well, in 18650 mode. Haven't put it in the shorter modes since I prefer the longer run-time with the bigger batteries. But the Hyper is a good fit on top, the flat top ring of the SVD is darn near a perfect fit.

Put a small amount of conductive thread lube Z(NoAlox or equivalent) on the tube threads.

Play with the settings until you're happy, then engage the LOC so you don't inadvertently change them.

Some have expressed, uh, challenges? finding the fire button without looking, hitting either the + or - button instead. I'll generally just "find" the screen with my thumb, and the fire button is opposite. But that's another reason to LOC the settings.

And unless they've changed the manual, the positive end of the battery goes toward the topper end, not the negative end, as my manual says! It is reverse polarity protected, but what a goof!

All I have are 18650's, so that will be good. I've never used noalox on any mods that I have had. I always figured it would collect dirt and make problems worse. That being said, I also have never noticed any reason to use it on any of my mods. They have always threaded smoothly for me.

Thanks for the input. This helps alot.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yes, there is that about the NoAlox maybe being a dirt magnet, but it will also help with the conductivity. And potentially thread life, but the SVD is all stainless, so probably not much of an issue. I find that a small amount worked into the threads doesn't collect a lot of dirt, but then we're not as dusty as you are :)

NativeTexan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lampasas Texas
Yes, there is that about the NoAlox maybe being a dirt magnet, but it will also help with the conductivity. And potentially thread life, but the SVD is all stainless, so probably not much of an issue. I find that a small amount worked into the threads doesn't collect a lot of dirt, but then we're not as dusty as you are :)

Yeah, it gets a bit dusty around here...LOL. We don't get alot of rain.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Need to give this thread another bump . I don't know why there aren't more SVD enthusiasts on ECF , I cringe every time I see a noob recommend a Vamo to another noob , they're junk compared to the build quality of an SVD . I know the MVP is highly recommended but I wanted to get away from the whole ego/disposable device thing in favor of just swapping out batteries . The Vamo 3 I had was a poorly built piece of garbage , the threads were a joke , anything with a 510 wobbled all over the place , a spring loaded center pin should be standard equipment on all mods IMO . as well as stainless steel 510 /ego threading and the SVD fits what I consider to be requirements . A lot of provari owners seem to consider variable wattage a gimmick but having used it it's not a requirement for vaping but it's a great convenience and it's inexcusable that a high priced mod not to offer it IMO and it's the sole reason I haven't bought a provari , if and when they update their chip to include that feature I'll buy one , but till then the SVD is my mod of choice .

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I tend to agree, retic, about VW not being necessary. Of course, VV isn't either, as long as you can get or make your coils in the right resistance! Since that's not always an option, VV and VW have a permanent place in my vaping box.

My other issue with Provari is the lack of native eGo threading. The larger thread is mechanically much more robust. So a Provari with VW and eGo threads would be a nice choice to have. But they don't give us that choice, so I'll stay with my SVD :)

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
tell me about the button interface on the svd

with both my zmax and vamo ive found it all to easy to accidentally change settings without knowing it.

My + and - buttons are both pretty stiff. The only thing I've ever done accidentally on mine is turn it off while vaping it, because the button isn't clicky anymore. I would think that to accidentally change your setting on the SVD, you would have to be holding the entire top of the tube in a death grip or something, or jamming it into a pocket while it's on. That might do it.

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
Has anyone else dealt with stripped threads? My 510 threads are totally shot and nothing will stay on it anymore. I hate clearos, but I ordered a few ego-threaded ones to try, just in case, so I don't have to chuck the SVD (or give it to my husband to crack open and play with). Mine went from fine to totally useless in less than a week, and nothing weird happened to the SVD in that time frame. I didn't think threads would wear out like that (so suddenly), especially since most of my toppers stay on it for days at a time, so I'm not constantly putting things on and removing them.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
tell me about the button interface on the svd

with both my zmax and vamo ive found it all to easy to accidentally change settings without knowing it.

ON the SVD you can lock the settings. Once you have it where you want, hold the + and - buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The display will show LOC. Do the same to unlock it to change settings.

That's one of the things I really like about the SVD. Wish more mods had it!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Has anyone else dealt with stripped threads? My 510 threads are totally shot and nothing will stay on it anymore. I hate clearos, but I ordered a few ego-threaded ones to try, just in case, so I don't have to chuck the SVD (or give it to my husband to crack open and play with). Mine went from fine to totally useless in less than a week, and nothing weird happened to the SVD in that time frame. I didn't think threads would wear out like that (so suddenly), especially since most of my toppers stay on it for days at a time, so I'm not constantly putting things on and removing them.

I'm using thing in between my mods and toppers so that
1: I'm not wearing the mod threads repeatedly
2: Attempt to isolate the eletrical mod from eliquid leak

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
ON the SVD you can lock the settings. Once you have it where you want, hold the + and - buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The display will show LOC. Do the same to unlock it to change settings.

That's one of the things I really like about the SVD. Wish more mods had it!

Now THAT is usefull.

On my vamo, one accidental button press changes the power.
On my zmax, theres only 1 button, and 3 presses in 1 second activates the control menu; one time I discovered it somehow got bumped up from normal 5 watts to 14 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread