The thread for Innokin SVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesborda

May 24, 2009
Kanata,Ontario,Canada
Thanks for the answer on whether the display can be turned on.

I just ordered another one this time from FT(crossing my fingers) I love my vendor but I saved over $30, no damned 13% Canadian taxes and $10 shipping. Mind you I'll be older and grayer by the time I get this from FT. I did pay an extra $2 for Canada express shipping, we'll see if it's any quicker.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Wow. So last night I'm sitting on the couch vaping and watching Dexter when I thought I'd bump the power up on my SVD a tad (Vaping on a Davide BDC, 1.8 ohms, 8 watts at the time).

All had been going well until I hit the up/down buttons to unlock the power settings. In what seemed like a micro-second, a big puff of smoke came out of the SVD. In that split second it fried the coil and smelled like it also fried something in the control head. It still turns on, but I'm afraid of putting anything else on it.

I'm contemplating whether or not to send it back for replacement (It was a Fasttech purchase and I've only had it for about a month or so) or tear it apart to see what went wrong...

Vlad Vapus

Feb 13, 2014
CALI
Wow. So last night I'm sitting on the couch vaping and watching Dexter when I thought I'd bump the power up on my SVD a tad (Vaping on a Davide BDC, 1.8 ohms, 8 watts at the time).

All had been going well until I hit the up/down buttons to unlock the power settings. In what seemed like a micro-second, a big puff of smoke came out of the SVD. In that split second it fried the coil and smelled like it also fried something in the control head. It still turns on, but I'm afraid of putting anything else on it.

I'm contemplating whether or not to send it back for replacement (It was a Fasttech purchase and I've only had it for about a month or so) or tear it apart to see what went wrong...

Damn that sucks. What type of battery were you using at the time? 18650?

piggy

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2013
New York

The turnaround time for fasttech warranties is about a month, so make sure you have something else for that time period. At least they'll reimburse you for the return shipping cost.

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I believe so. But I don't seem to get that rattlesnake sound so much.

Mine has this. At first I thought it was a problem with the replacement unit I got from Fasttech (actually went through 2 under the same return policy, first arrived completely DOA and the second's electronics started acting very strangely after about a month of use). It's a very slight buzzing sound coming from the vicinity of the LED readout. I've been using it for about 5 months with no issues whatsoever so I wrapped up the open ticket and just assume it's safe to continue using with the two Panasonic CGR18650CHs I bought at the same time and another 18650 MNKE I bought more recently (eBay deal).

I used to stack two IMR 18350s in it because at the time I thought it was an acceptable practice. Even the manual says it's possible. But I'm not doing that anymore since I have a feeling that doing this caused my previous SVD's electronics to start acting strangely. It'll be single batteries from now on.

Back to the general topic, the SVD was my first VV/VW purchase and despite the initial problems I had with it (figured I was just unlucky), I really like it. Good build quality, easy to use and I'm discovering how well it can handle an RBA, which I'm just now getting into. It's definitely my stay-at-home/security mod since it's pretty heavy but that's just fine with me.

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I like the resemblance of the SVD to a lightsaber hilt(yes I am a big SW nerd). I looked at an SVD in a local vape shop after purchasing mine on ebay and now I am concerned that my hypertank is going to be monstrous sitting on top of the SVD.

I picked up a cheap KFL 3.1 clone and threw it on the SVD. Reminded me of the IG-88 assassin droid:
ig_88_by_livio27-d6c0e31.jpg

I wouldn't call it "monstrous" on top of the SVD but it is anything but petite.

CBCstillmatic

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
United States
Mine has this. At first I thought it was a problem with the replacement unit I got from Fasttech (actually went through 2 under the same return policy, first arrived completely DOA and the second's electronics started acting very strangely after about a month of use). It's a very slight buzzing sound coming from the vicinity of the LED readout. I've been using it for about 5 months with no issues whatsoever so I wrapped up the open ticket and just assume it's safe to continue using with the two Panasonic CGR18650CHs I bought at the same time and another 18650 MNKE I bought more recently (eBay deal).

I used to stack two IMR 18350s in it because at the time I thought it was an acceptable practice. Even the manual says it's possible. But I'm not doing that anymore since I have a feeling that doing this caused my previous SVD's electronics to start acting strangely. It'll be single batteries from now on.

Back to the general topic, the SVD was my first VV/VW purchase and despite the initial problems I had with it (figured I was just unlucky), I really like it. Good build quality, easy to use and I'm discovering how well it can handle an RBA, which I'm just now getting into. It's definitely my stay-at-home/security mod since it's pretty heavy but that's just fine with me.

I believe the manual says something about clearing the chips memory or something when going from one 18650 to two 18350s stacked and back.

"Note: Before you make a switch between one battery and two batteries, please hold the power button for 5 seconds to release the remaining capacity in the main board. (When you make a switch from one battery to two batteries, the main board will keep the one battery settings if you haven't released the remaining capacity; and vice versa. )"

Not sure if that would help with any issues or had anything to do with your situation. I can't say cause I've never stacked I've only used an 18650 until I got my VTR, now I only use my SVD with one 18350 as my go out travel sized mod.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
By all means contact the vendor since it's still under warranty. If you take it apart, it will void that.

It does sound like an internal fault, which can happen...

Condolences...

Thanks for the condolences, but all is not lost...

Damn that sucks. What type of battery were you using at the time? 18650?

At the time, Efest IMR 18650.

Definitely return it, there is no better approach

I'm mostly leaning that way.

The turnaround time for fasttech warranties is about a month, so make sure you have something else for that time period. At least they'll reimburse you for the return shipping cost.

No worries there, the SVD was in rotation with my Provari, I just put the battery in the Vamo. Good to go. :)

I put a battery back in it tonight, the menu functions all work, but there's definitely an open in the circuit. I tried a handful of toppers on it, it reads "non" no matter what I have on it.

I'm going to request an exchange tonight, and box it up when I get home.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

The good news is you send to Miami for return. The bad news is you pay postage. The worse news is another 30 day wait to get another. How do I know? I am awaiting my second replacement now. So if the third one works 90 days in shipping time! Innokin blew it on the SVD.

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
The good news is you send to Miami for return. The bad news is you pay postage. The worse news is another 30 day wait to get another. How do I know? I am awaiting my second replacement now. So if the third one works 90 days in shipping time! Innokin blew it on the SVD.

So what went wrong with the first two? Just curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread