Tobacco Absolute (the NET redheaded stepchild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
shatner,

As with so many experiences that vary from one vaper to another, I have no idea what that implies. I believe you, and I believe me, too. It's yet another mystery.

Don't take what I said the wrong way, Bill. I was just comparing my experience to yours and found it strange that there was a difference. Or it's incredibly plausible that we're experiencing the same thing, just interpreting in differently. :)

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Don't take what I said the wrong way, Bill. I was just comparing my experience to yours and found it strange that there was a difference. Or it's incredibly plausible that we're experiencing the same thing, just interpreting in differently. :)

shatner,

We're cool. I took no offense at all. Didn't feel that you were contradicting me, just sharing what you experienced.

This would be easy if we were in the same room and could simply compare our bottles of Gold Rising. Shake 'em up, look at them, put a drop of juice on our fingers, etc. But alas... Yes, I could take a photo of the bottle and post it as a jpeg, but that wouldn't be the same as looking at it live.

If this were really important, I guess I could shoot a close-up video, put it on YouTube, and embed it here, but that's waaaayyyyyy too much trouble.

jfango

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Salisbury MO
So what exactly is the difference between TA and NETs? It seems to me that TA gets looked at as some kind of step-child of NETs, but if it's an extract from tobacco, no matter the method it's still an extract and it doesn't seem logical to me to give it any less respect. So what gives? I've been interested in the subject for obvious reasons, since we all wonder what's in the juice we use, and I also have been thinking of delving into the world of DIY. Of course the more I know about all this will help me in making decisions about flavors in general and TA in particular concerning DIY. Thanks for any input you may have to share!

Unclo

Apr 4, 2012
California
So what exactly is the difference between TA and NETs? It seems to me that TA gets looked at as some kind of step-child of NETs, but if it's an extract from tobacco, no matter the method it's still an extract and it doesn't seem logical to me to give it any less respect. So what gives?

Mr.Mann, I truly appreciate your efforts explaining TA; here, on the NET thread, VCV thread and others, but the above quoted question still looms large with me also. For us slow learners, care to address it one more time? Thanks in advance.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
shatner,

We're cool. I took no offense at all. Didn't feel that you were contradicting me, just sharing what you experienced.

This would be easy if we were in the same room and could simply compare our bottles of Gold Rising. Shake 'em up, look at them, put a drop of juice on our fingers, etc. But alas... Yes, I could take a photo of the bottle and post it as a jpeg, but that wouldn't be the same as looking at it live.

If this were really important, I guess I could shoot a close-up video, put it on YouTube, and embed it here, but that's waaaayyyyyy too much trouble.

Sweet. I'll be honest; I can be an ... hole sometimes and not realize it. A lot of times I'll come back to a post I made and think to myself "Wth was I thinking?" and "Damn, what I said was really rude.". :blush:

Not an excuse, but I have Asperger's Syndrome (very low on the autism spectrum) and that's a big issue we deal with; social boundaries and not realizing that what is being said can come across as rude.

But I'm glad you took it the way I meant it. I'd love to sit down with you, Mr.Mann, Tez, RPADTV and several others to compare, contrast and chew the fat. Hopefully one day we can make that happen.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
For those that want to consider TA a NET, go ahead. No one person makes the rules. Like I said, "there's no real consensus," which means some see no distinction between the two and some do.

The best way I can explain it (for the way I consider it) is to think about natural/extracted tobacco being considered in the same way as developing photos.

Here we see photos being developed, and

darkroom_1937.jpeg

here we see photos being developed.

8386839-three-blank-polaroid-photos-hanging-on-a-string.jpg

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
As I said in the Aroma ejuice subforum, the main difference to me is as follows, and you can agree or not as you choose:

Tobacco absolute is a consumer product. I can go to any of the better DIY shops and order "5mls each of banana flavor, caramel flavor, tobacco absolute and cotton candy flavor, please", and make my own banana, caramel, tobacco and cotton candy juices. Another person can buy the same flavorings and make juices that taste exactly the same.That 5ml bottle will have the concentrated essence of a dozen tobacco plants from who knows where.

NET is not a consumer product. It is made artisanally by the e-liquid maker solely for vaping purposes, and is only available to them (exception: My Vape Juice who sells their NET concentrates to home DIYers).

I am unfortunately one of those who dislikes TA intensely. I don't really care where it comes from as long as it doesn't wind up in my juice;)

Shatner: that Tom Ford is a wicked good fragrance. Have you ever tried Eau d'Italie fragrances? Their Bois d'Ombrie, I'm fairly certain, has tobacco absolute among its base notes. Smells a lot better than it tastes :laugh:

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What juice(s) from BWB contain TA?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

From memory (I tried them ages ago) both Maple Tobacco and Casablanca tasted very absolute-y to my palate. From what I have read, Don is a bit coy about which of his juices contain TA or NET.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
From memory (I tried them ages ago) both Maple Tobacco and Casablanca tasted very absolute-y to my palate. From what I have read, Don is a bit coy about which of his juices contain TA or NET.

Ages ago for me too, just remember I liked 555E and Honey Flue something or other, and hated Casablanca and several others did nothing for me. I wish I remember the others I didn't like, but going to try (hopefully not re-try) Virginia soon.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The best I've been able to figure out is that TA is more of a small and select extraction using stronger chemicals to distill it, whereas a naturally extracted [may] contain a larger number of components of the tobacco leaf. Is this anything close to the truth?

I edited your post with a key caveat.

As stated in the opening post, some vendors use similar extraction methods--meaning some vendors may use elaborate chemical extraction for their tobaccos--but not extracting into an absolute; and some may, like VCV, even extract into an absolute. The distinction I tried to make is more about DIY, pre-made TA that allows for a vendor, through a technicality, to be considered a NET vendor. For the most part, as vapers that think about NETs everyday, the difference is always about whether or not one makes their extracts or not.

My post about developing photos was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the fact remains that a vendor making their own extracts, like a photographer in a dark room, is much different than a vendor that buys a cheap extract from a DIY shop. All things being equal, a Polaroid photographer is a photographer and can take some amazing photos; but when discussing the "development" of said photo, as in the developing of tobacco extracts, one must do it themselves.

I do understand what you are trying to figure out and I can appreciate that.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
moondrop has a very good one... as does backwoods brew

I never tasted TA in BWB, but it is damn near impossible to not taste it in Moondrop.co. I linked to Moondrop.co in my opening post because I think they are a vendor that can give a crash course in what TA tastes like.

Rictic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Miami, FL
I can say BWB honey flue and maple tobacco have a much milder (tobacco?) aroma than Casablanca. To my palate, Casablanca tastes and smells more punchy. Not necessarily in a bad way though; I vaped through the 10ml casa easily. Honey flue however has been my favorite juice since right before the BWB Honey flue drought. I can't say if that has to do with TA.

I just ordered some blue beard from VCV and am about to reorder some honey tobacco and haze from M&P thanks to sparked curiosity after reading this thread. I want to experience/re-experience these juices with the new knowledge acquired here, get a more concrete idea of what I think of TA. Thanks Mr Mann for helping to expand the curiosity/delight I get from vaping, from liquid and hardware aspects alike.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Hey MrM,

I wanted to top up one of the cartos that sit with many others on my desk---Ahlusion Gold Rising, which purports to be an RY4 but got kicked off The Big RY4 List by consensus because it doesn't taste like any RY4 we know. Maybe it's more an homage to/replica of the ancient Ruyan 4 liquid from 2005 that some people hold to have been the model for the 2007 original Janty RY4 (although the jury's still out on that one). Anyway, I like Gold Rising a lot---I just don't think of it as an RY4. But that's neither here nor there.

I retrieved my 10ml bottle of Gold Rising---now down to 7ml---from one of the many drawers in my juice stash, and suddenly noticed something that had escaped me earlier. I must have missed this when the bottle was full. Upon shaking, the inner surfaces of the bottle above the liquid revealed an oily residue. The juice itself is a transparent amber-gold, but this residue was yellow-green colored. I was shocked and surprised, because---in my experience---that yellow-green oiliness is a dead giveaway for Tobacco Absolute.

I seem to recall reading in one of your posts on the NET thread that Ahlusion uses various extraction methods for their NETs, including steam distillation. Is the Gold Rising extract an example?

Flavor-wise, Gold Rising doesn't remind me of commercial TA/TE at all, but the physical evidence sure points in that direction. Perhaps the extract used in Gold Rising is closer to the Velvet Cloud Vapor in-house-extracted proprietary TA, which is slightly closer to commercial TA to my palate, but remains different enough to be perceptibly its own thing.

Since you have a direct line to Wlad, I figured you might know what's up with the Gold Rising extract.

For what it's worth, I too have noticed with GR that it is ever-so-slightly oily--not like Blue Beard Tobacco from VCV, but not as uber clean as the rest of his juices. Interestingly enough, Blue Beard and GR are honey-cured tobaccos.

With my 30 mL of XPress GR, whether I have molested the bottle or not, the empty portion of the bottle has a very fine layer of liquid just above the full portion. Considering gravity, the only reason that would be is that it's slightly oily and it is clinging to the walls of the bottle.

My other bottle of GR, the profiled juice, is much clearer and tastes different (even better), so that one has been tweaked to my tastes--I love that I can get juices altered. However, when I drip from the dropper of that bottle of GR, the light yellowish-golden color of the juice never quite leaves the dropper even after the dropper should empty. I have checked with the aros, and a few other non-aros, and those droppers drip themselves clean.

Ahlusion uses CO2 extraction for their aros and also for some of their other extractions. At one point or another they have employed http://www.ahlusion.us/faq/our-liquids/97-why-are-your-liquids-cleardarkxyz.htmlWater/steam/vacuum distillation, Alcohol/ethanol/CO2/n-Butane extraction, or infusion. (<--link)

If I was a betting man, which I am not, so I wouldn't bet on my own theory, steam distillation may very well be what was used for GR and what we see is a little bit of essential oil from the tobacco. I have had 25 or so of the 29+ tobaccos Ahlusion sells and I can say that GR is an anomaly in this particular aspect (slight oil residue). That said, I love the juice.

Edit: For those that skim posts, Ahlusion is not making and or using tobacco absolute; and even if GR does use a steam distillation (which I am NOT certain of), the juice does not taste like other steam distillation juices.

moondrop has a very good one... as does backwoods brew

I never tasted TA in BWB, but it is damn near impossible to not taste it in Moondrop.co. I linked to Moondrop.co in my opening post because I think they are a vendor that can give a crash course in what TA tastes like.

Last edited:

jfango

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Salisbury MO
I've been toying around with a juice I have, it's Gorilla Juice from Alien. I don't know for sure but I'd guess it's a TA flavored concoction. I've been sampling it in three different ways and comparing the results, which are of course the taste and/or smell variations. When I taste the raw juice by putting a bit on my tongue, I don't seem to be able to taste anything that rings my bell similar to tobacco. I get a sweetness and bit of a perhaps fruity tang not easy to describe. When I vape it, I get just a hint of what I would call a tobacco taste. However, when I put a bit of the raw juice on the tip of my finger and smell it, the sensation of tobacco just bowls me over, being very strong. I think now that this is something I want to experiment with other juices I have on hand, it could lead to some interesting observations.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I've been toying around with a juice I have, it's Gorilla Juice from Alien. I don't know for sure but I'd guess it's a TA flavored concoction. I've been sampling it in three different ways and comparing the results, which are of course the taste and/or smell variations. When I taste the raw juice by putting a bit on my tongue, I don't seem to be able to taste anything that rings my bell similar to tobacco. I get a sweetness and bit of a perhaps fruity tang not easy to describe. When I vape it, I get just a hint of what I would call a tobacco taste. However, when I put a bit of the raw juice on the tip of my finger and smell it, the sensation of tobacco just bowls me over, being very strong. I think now that this is something I want to experiment with other juices I have on hand, it could lead to some interesting observations.

So in another words, there is an aroma of tobacco to the liquid itself. I see where you're going. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread