Tobacco Absolute (the NET redheaded stepchild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
I made a post along time ago that said TA as an ingredient is a natural tobacco extract. My issue has never been with the ingredient itself, or whether it is or isn't a tobacco extract--it obviously is--and as stated in the original post, it can do some really special things to a juice. But, a vendor that only uses the ingredient, common TA, as their NET does not get the same consideration for being a "NET vendor" as someone who makes there own extracts. See? (Not you VM.)

I think sometimes we do too much cursory reading of posts and jump the gun with interpretation.

I also wanted to point out something else in the original post. When I said that just because a vendor is using similar techniques as one who makes an absolute, that needs to be understood. Absolutes come from concretes first! You can make a tobacco extraction from alcohol, like HHV, and you can make a concrete with alcohol and subsequent TA from that, but that does NOT mean HHV is making an absolute. HHV has made some of the more grassy and hay-like juices I've had (I love that), but while absolutes have those traits (grassy and hay notes) that doesn't mean it's time to leap to thinking HHV makes and or uses tobacco absolutes. Picking up on certain aspects of absolutes is a key to determining if you have a juice with it, but it doesn't end there. The final say should be the vendors word.

Has anyone tried ROAR's tobaccos? I have yet to try them, but they use common TA.

I think Roar is THE MOST overrated juice on the market. I didn't like them the first time I tried them. But I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ordered again after my taste for vaping tobacco matured. Rubbish. That's just my :2c:, though.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
That's TE, tobacco extract, if I am not mistaking.

Yep, TE. It sounds like it might technically be just another variety of TA if you were to break it down, but they needed some way to distiguish it from their TA.

I forgot to mention that there are all kinds if other varieties of TA (Burley, Virginia, Oriental, etc) and other tobacco extracts that don't seem to be available in small quantities to hobbyist but would be easily obtained by a professional e-juice maker....so, yeah....hard to tell what's in a juice without asking, and then it all comes down to trust I guess.

I personally wouldn't care if a juice was hand crafted by wood elves or pumped out in truckloads by Phillip Morris as long as they get the tobacco taste right...but that's just me.;)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yep, TE. It sounds like it might technically be just another variety of TA if you were to break it down, but they needed some way to distinguish it from their TA.

I forgot to mention that there are all kinds if other varieties of TA (Burley, Virginia, Oriental, etc) and other tobacco extracts that don't seem to be available in small quantities to hobbyist but would be easily obtained by a professional e-juice maker....so, yeah....hard to tell what's in a juice without asking, and then it all comes down to trust I guess.

I personally wouldn't care if a juice was hand crafted by wood elves or pumped out in truckloads by Phillip Morris as long as they get the tobacco taste right...but that's just me.;)

I found a place that actually sells the concrete, but only from Bulgarian tobacco. Can you all who have similar interests find a picture of tobacco concrete? I have scoured the interwebs with no luck. I read that it actually looks like a toffee bar.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Despite my having purchased enough retail eliquid to supply an army (I have juices from 100 different vendors), certain juice vendors just don't inspire me to order. Maybe it's their web site, or their descriptions, or their attitude, or reviews I read on ECF (even positive reviews sometimes put me off a certain juice).

I've been to Roar's web site (even before they changed the spelling of their name) maybe ten times, but not once was I moved to even put any juice in the cart, much less to actually order something. As a result, I've never vaped any Roar juices.

I'm in no position to criticize Roar as a vendor. They're just not for me.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
I found a place that actually sells the concrete, but only from Bulgarian tobacco. Can you all who have similar interests find a picture of tobacco concrete? I have scoured the interwebs with no luck. I read that it actually looks like a toffee bar.

No picture yet, but the same place I bought my Rustica TA has tobacco concrete sourced from Brazil:

http://www.wingedseed.com/08321/TOBACCO+CONCRETE.html

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.....--too much in your liquid and it will be nasty and immiscible--it needs to be diluted and used sparingly (like 1 drop per 10 mL--even that may be too much.) And while technically being extracted tobacco, it is an aromatic super concentrate rather than a simple extract or even an essential oil. Just adding TA to PG/VG without a delicate hand will give you a terrible mess. .........

I have the TFA tobacco blend and love it to add that proper 'I just licked an ash tray' taste to my 'baccy mixes lol. (Not really.lol) Goes great with Dekang 555, FA 7 leaves, etc, but as stated above, a little goes a long way.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I've been to Roar's web site (even before they changed the spelling of their name) maybe ten times, but not once was I moved to even put any juice in the cart, much less to actually order something. As a result, I've never vaped any Roar juices.

How funny! Me too. Been there a bunch of times (the site), talked to the owner (email), but never pulled the trigger.

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I see a few of us are looking to dabble in concretes. Just FYI as someone who has used them in perfumery (not tobacco though) they are a BEAST to work with. Messy and sticky and wasteful unless you have serious industrial solvents at hand.

Think of an illegal product that rhymes with baksheesh. :ohmy:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I see a few of us are looking to dabble in concretes. Just FYI as someone who has used them in perfumery (not tobacco though) they are a BEAST to work with. Messy and sticky and wasteful unless you have serious industrial solvents at hand.

I have heard of something like that. :laugh:

I thought that was the sum of it. Maybe others do, but I don't want to work with it; I just want to see what it looks like, and, maybe to actually smell it. Since vaping NETs, I have found that even tobacconist shops are more than just places to buy my squares. Now I have this fascination with tobacco, but from a safer vantage point. Tobacco concrete must be a trip.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
I have heard of something like that. :laugh:

I thought that was the sum of it. Maybe others do, but I don't want to work with it; I just want to see what it looks like, and, maybe to actually smell it. Since vaping NETs, I have found that even tobacconist shops are more than just places to buy my squares. Now I have this fascination with tobacco, but from a safer vantage point. Tobacco concrete must be a trip.

That wingedseed place with the Tobacco Concrete from Brazil offers a sample for only $1.47. 5gm for $7.50. I think I'll check it out one of these days for that price.

It's interesting that they describe the appearance as dark-brown to red-brown wax like mass.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
That wingedseed place with the Tobacco Concrete from Brazil offers a sample for only $1.47. 5gm for $7.50. I think I'll check it out one of these days for that price.

It's interesting that they describe the appearance as dark-brown to red-brown wax like mass.

Hey VM, have you tried any of Mom and Pop's TA juices? What about Moondrop? Obviosuly there are scores of other vendors that use TA, but I think those are two good ones. I never tried Reddragon's tobaccos, but I think have read decent things about them.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.

Mmmmmm.... Hashbrowns. :drool:

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Hey VM, have you tried any of Mom and Pop's TA juices? What about Moondrop? Obviosuly there are scores of other vendors that use TA, but I think those are two good ones. I never tried Reddragon's tobaccos, but I think have read decent things about them.

No, I'll have to check those out sometime. For TA stuff it's been mostly DIY...except Dekeng and Hangsen (I prefer the Hangsen because they are trying to appeal to Western tastes and have dropped the odd sweet & sour thing that Dekang has going on a lot of the time).

I tried a couple of the non-net w2v tobacco flavors that might have TA, but I honestly preferred the Chinese juices with their lighter use of flavorings.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
No, I'll have to check those out sometime. For TA stuff it's been mostly DIY...except Dekeng and Hangsen (I prefer the Hangsen because they are trying to appeal to Western tastes and have dropped the odd sweet & sour thing that Dekang has going on a lot of the time).

I tried a couple of the non-net w2v tobacco flavors that might have TA, but I honestly preferred the Chinese juices with their lighter use of flavorings.

From M&P, Tobacco Haze and Tobacco Praze are both very good. Don't judge them while they're young, though. Give them a week or two and they start to bloom.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Liberty Natural Products, Inc.

That is a great resouce for botanical extractions and the terms often used. A lot of the definitions pertain mostly to that one site, Liberty Natural Products - The Essential Oil Source, and how they do things; but it's still helpful. Scarf and VM may like the home essential oil extractor kit. Maybe? Scarf probably already has one..

It is a great site. I'd not seen the microwave distiller before.

Generally speaking, essential oil production is very labor-intensive for not much result. You would spend hundreds of dollars on raw materials, probably f-up a few times, and wind up with a miniscule amount of product that is likely of lesser quality than a good aromatherapy-quality oil. I have thought about it, but it's just too much of a hassle.

Besides, Mr Scarf-ace already sacrificed his Crock-Pot to my NET-extraction experiments. I can't ask him to put up with any more kitchen nonsense :)

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Liberty Natural Products, Inc.

That is a great resouce for botanical extractions and the terms often used. A lot of the definitions pertain mostly to that one site, Liberty Natural Products - The Essential Oil Source, and how they do things; but it's still helpful. Scarf and VM may like the home essential oil extractor kit. Maybe? Scarf probably already has one..

Yeah...I don't know....I was thinking of going the primative route. According to http://www.essential-oil-mama.com/make-your-own-essential-oil.html you can get good essential oils (not therapeutic grade, but for our use the impurities equal more flavor) as simply as this:

"Place plant material into a crock pot filled with distilled water. Cook on low for 24 hours. Leave crock pot open and allow it to sit for a week. Collect the oil off the surface of the water and put it into a dark, glass container. Cover with a piece of cloth and allow it to sit for a week to evaporate off any extra water. It will last for about 12 months."

I know it would yeild a small amount, so I would stretch it with commercial TA. I would also try roasting the tobacco first. I think you could actually combine this with the ice water alkaloid soak we've discussed before (and I made a post about it on Scarf-ace's slow cooker tobacco extraction thread) - plus still manage a normal maceration and really squeeze everything out of the tobacco and then stretch it with commercial nic liquid, TA, and Top-Note Flavors. Not something I'm planning on doing real soon, but it's just the kind of ideas that form while I read up on this stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread