Tobacco Flavor & Teddy Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Teddy Bears what? I am going to get to that very quickly...

So the whole premise behind the 'flavor' ban seems to be premised on the idea that tobacco flavors are acceptable, but fruit/candy flavors might entice our teen children. Our children, as we refer to them, about to be 18 year old legal 'Adults' in the USA in a short period of time, 18, age enough to join the military, will find the flavor of tobacco so offensive, that they will be unable to handle it?

"Son/Daughter, are you vaping? No way mom, tobacco is so icky! Can I have another bowl of fruit loops?"

It reminds me of coffee, and how many here thought their first cup of coffee was kind of nasty tasting, but you grew into it, even enjoy it? Somehow though Starbucks has survived and thrived. Did you know that coffee can raise your heart rate? Maybe we should keep feeding our teens the McDonald's child meals, because you know, the flavors get to be more challenging as you grow up. (yes I am being very facetious).

Is this really the way we see our teenagers now? No flavors but candy/fruit will entice them, and Teddy Bears of course, teens don't outgrow their stuffed animals either.

This is our government's solution though, ban flavors other then tobacco. It's so deeply incorrect in premise, it's hard to even argue why it's flawed.

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
From what I am seeing, teens want to vape because of the high nic rush they are getting from the Juul pods.

Yes, I believe the rush/high with little lasting side-effect (like the stimulant rush we get from coffee) is far more a motive then it tastes like fruity COPYRIGHTDMCA.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Just like we did teens will get over the nasty taste of tobacco flavored vapes to be fashionable, to be cool, to get that rush, to feed the addiction.
PBusardo and Dimistris were talking last night and they were pointing out that the UK doesn't have the problem the U.S. has with teens vaping. They maintain that is because they have a nic cap in the UK of 20mg and believe that needs to be the case here, in the U.S. If Juul's no longer had the high nic, would new teens want to use it? They say probably not.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Good point @Horselady154. For someone who is working on nicotine withdrawal, it's not about the rush, it's about the working your way down from the dependence. On the flip side I kept struggling with nicotine withdrawal until I found a pod and a nic salt (about half of a Juul), to get over that craving for a bit of a rush.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
PBusardo and Dimistris were talking last night and they were pointing out that the UK doesn't have the problem the U.S. has with teens vaping. They maintain that is because they have a nic cap in the UK of 20mg and believe that needs to be the case here, in the U.S. If Juul's no longer had the high nic, would new teens want to use it? They say probably not.

I'm thinking it's maybe too late. The hight nic of Juul cause a new thing for sure, but it's now a known thing. The cat is out the bag. I'm down to 3mg nic now and I could get quite a hit from 20mg. So I'm thinking new vapers could still get what they are looking for from 20mg, albeit not quite the same as 55mg. It may be too late, who knows. Not trying to be smart but I saw all this coming ages ago when I heard about the nic strength in Juul in the States. Juul obviously saw it coming as well, and people have already made serious money, even if it doesn't last.

scott58

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2009
NorthWest Indiana
Why not? Genuine question.

we are talking about crazy people here that have the power to control our lives. I wouldn't give them anything vape related even if I agreed with them. It's Skittles, Jolly Ranchers, or a 10 year old stick of Juicyfruit gum. They won't be reasonable.neither should we. I think that's just the way it has to be.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg

That's too bad --- I would not advocate for such an arbitrary cap on nicotine when many smokers needed more than 20mg/ml when quitting. I was making a variety of strengths between 24mg/ml and 32mg/ml during my first several months (and at that time, common commercial juices were available in strengths at least up to 24mg/ml, and often up to 32mg/ml or 36mg/ml).

Before Juul, White Cloud Fling disposables had (still have?) 54mg/ml, and a Vype (I think) ecig had 48mg/ml. They were ciga-likes and thus "not cool" though.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
we are talking about crazy people here that have the power to control our lives. I wouldn't give them anything vape related even if I agreed with them. It's Skittles, Jolly Ranchers, or a 10 year old stick of Juicyfruit gum. They won't be reasonable.neither should we. I think that's just the way it has to be.

The crazy people know already though. We're giving them nothing by discussing it ourselves. What we are doing is disagreeing with the reaction. Kids drive cars but no one uses that as an excuse to hammer the car industry. Discussing kids driving cars isn't informing the crazy people and neither is discussing teens vaping for a nic buzz. They already know.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Not only would the government expect you to believe that, they are "educating" your children to believe that Juuls are more addictive than methamphetamine and that flavors are also sucking them in.

If any of these children when to war... Well, that's what the military is for, deprograming our current crop of children that they are helpless victims of society, they should believe anything, do anything, and their parents should sue EVERYTHING.

There is one point I was taught growing up. REGARDLESS of circumstances, (and even with bad ones) YOU are responsible for your actions. Not your parents, not your flavors, not your sad and tragic background: YOU. At a MUCH younger age than many might believe.

That is called cause and effect and we sort of need to believe in it for life to have a chance.

I hammered that home to my kiddo EVEY chance I got, and he is a responsible adult. DESPITE some very early life tragedies. Yeah, it's good to get "help" with that stuff.

I'm not even calling this generation of kids, "Snowflakes." I consider them "Jellyfish" meaning they are aimless, revolting drifters who sort of float around believing they are capable of NOTHING, responsible for NOTHING, and they STING AND POISON everything they touch.

By the way, YOUR elected officials WANT them this way. Common core should be taken out and SHOT.

If you do not fight with your child's teachers at least ONCE a week, these days (it was a little less when my kid was small) BUT NOW??? Forget it.

They are revolting little jellyfish who want to SUE e-cigarette makers as they aimlessly drift around shoving Juuls at random in their mouths, and when they get caught, it is MOST CERTAINLY not THEIR fault, OR their parents (who are snowflakes, so they melt) POOR darlings.

Whenever I get a teen to admit he HAS some information these days and THEN point out that if he KNEW, he was responsible for the outcome WHATEVER IT WAS, it's like a hallelujah moment for him. Then his parents start making excuses and I ask them if their parents ever taught THEM this and occasionally they will admit it.

JELLYFISH I tell you and I hate jellyfish. The snowflakes in charge of the jellyfish is not good either. A snowflake has NO CHANCE against a jellyfish.
Anna

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
There is one point I was taught growing up. REGARDLESS of circumstances, (and even with bad ones) YOU are responsible for your actions. ...

This is the final and most important thought.

There are real world problems where being responsible is truly difficult, but my kid is using a Juul because it tastes like fruit isn't one of them. Kids learn responsibility. Parent take responsibility. It's not the end of the world that your kid is having a smoke, or a vape. I don't believe we need any help from our government in this matter. If you catch your kid using a Juul, take away his/her Teddy Bear as punishment. It is a win win.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Teens vape for the same reason they smoke and drink before legal age. They’re at a stage where they want to experiment and feel like grown ups. They want to feel like they’re adults. So banning flavors and leaving just tobacco won’t do anything.

When I was a teen, I used to hate the taste of alcohol and cigarettes. But guess what, I still did it every weekend because it was “fun” (mentally facepalming myself at my teen self).

This is the most ridiculous attempt at protecting “children”. There are so many other things they could’ve done, but nooooo. Let’s just destroy businesses and people’s lives. So what, who cares.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That's too bad --- I would not advocate for such an arbitrary cap on nicotine when many smokers needed more than 20mg/ml when quitting. I was making a variety of strengths between 24mg/ml and 32mg/ml during my first several months (and at that time, common commercial juices were available in strengths at least up to 24mg/ml, and often up to 32mg/ml or 36mg/ml).

Before Juul, White Cloud Fling disposables had (still have?) 54mg/ml, and a Vype (I think) ecig had 48mg/ml. They were ciga-likes and thus "not cool" though.

I was a heavy smoker, and had no problems quitting using 3mg nic. Took me about a week to fully switch to vaping from smoking. My wife and sister-in-law also did the same. I know a lot of people that quit and never used anything over 6mg. It can be done if you want it.

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was a heavy smoker, and had no problems quitting using 3mg nic. Took me about a week to fully switch to vaping from smoking. My wife and sister-in-law also did the same. I know a lot of people that quit and never used anything over 6mg. It can be done if you want it.
I tried starting lower. I was a wreck until I went up to 24 mg. Eventually I weaned myself down to the 5 mg Im on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread