Told I had not really quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got really upset yesterday when someone told me that I had not quit smoking because I vape. Their reasoning was that I still used nicotine. This person does not have a problem with the patch, the lozengers, or the gum; yet my vaping is not quitting. I explain that cigs have hundreds of other ingredients and that I can gradually lower the nicotine.

Why is it okay to put on a patch of nicotine or chew it, but not vape it.:glare: I haven't had a cigarette in two weeks which means I haven't smoked in two weeks. So there.

Dont listen to them, you HAVE NOT smoked a damn cigarette in two weeks....thats awesome...keep it up...there is no way that smoking and vaping are the same. I had/have the same problem with people too, they see the vapor and assume its smoke and its just as bad..... I refuse to die from smoking, so i will vape til i die(for some other reason) but not from smoking!!!!. I have been smoke free for 288 days now !!!

DemonCowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Florida, US
maybe we shouldn't try to change whether they think it's wrong or not, perhaps we should instead remind them that it's our right to control ourselves and not theirs to control us. as smokers we gave them that power in the first place, now as vapers we have to take it back. they can think me wrong all they want, but they don't have the right to bug me about it as this time it's NOT hurting anyone else.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
That person who told you that vaping was still basically smoking is silly and narrowminded. In fact, their logic fails me. They need to separate the inhaling of carcinogens from the nicotine. They are not the same thing as we all know. My husband was having a discussion with a friend recently about the subject of vaping and quitting. She was having a hard time separating the nicotine from the smoke. She finally asked him if he intended on quitting nicotine as if to imply that he wasn't truly giving up smoking. His response was simply put: are you going to quit drinking bear that contains alcohol? Her answer was: touchet....and she moved on. Turns out she's an ex smoker who quit cold turkey and never looked back. For him, he likes the nicotine. He just doesn't like the consequences associated with cigarettes. And you're right....we're all making a good move for many good reasons, not the least of which is for the comfort and health of those we love....and we should not be hassled for trying other safer ways of dealing with our addictions. I for one say good on you for making the transition and don't let anyone bring you down for that. Be proud of what you have accomplished.

trickiwoo

Nov 6, 2010
USA
You said she doesn't have a problem with gum or patches or other quitting devices... but my guess is she doesn't think you've quit smoking if you still chew the gum? Perhaps in her opinion, if you use the patch or gum or lozenge you're "quitting smoking" but you haven't quit smoking until you're no longer using the gum or patch or whatever quitting device you're using...

In my personal experiences, a lot of non-smokers are just ignorant about cigarettes. For example, there was a thread about ecigs on another forum I post on and one non-smoker asked, "How are e-cigarettes any healthier for you if they still contain nicotine?" When people explained to the non-smoker that it's not the nicotine in cigarettes that's really bad for you... it's all the tar, carbon monoxide and other chemicals and carcinogens found in cigarettes and tobacco, the non-smoker replied, "Wow... I never knew that...I've never smoked"

I think non-smokers are just told "Nicotine is a highly addictive drug found in cigarettes" and that "Cigarettes are very bad for your health, can cause cancer and can kill you" and so somewhere in their minds they just make the connection that nicotine is very bad for your health.

smilyblue

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2010
NH
I am happy to say that I have been analog free for 21 days. If someone said I wasn't an ex-smoker because of vaping, I would just respect their opinion and move on. Like someone said here, it's all perception and yours is the only one that matters.

I did have a friend who asked if I quit smoking and I explained ecigs to her. She asked me for info on where to buy them. So I didn't say I quit smoking but gave her info on ecigs in hopes she would get away from analogs too...I hope it worked :)

Senrysa

Oct 20, 2010
south georgia
you know I feel guilty watching my daughter taking rx while I started vaping. I watched her struggle like I have so many times..she quit for 2 weeks stop taking the med and started back and now is starting all over. I feel her pain. smoking for 30 + years - picked up my e-cig and never smoked another one (it has only been 2 months). I do not have any desire and one of my other kids smokes in the spa room (where I used to) and I can see a pack right there and still don't want them. besides I'm down to almost 0 nic and I love my own little designer flavors.

try not to let the negativity bother you. I also have to say I think people think its such an easy way to quit but it is still a commitment. But it is one I now thoroughly enjoy. Don't let people get you down about it. Be proud of yourself, you made the decision to make a major change in your life and that is a great thing. Thank god there are forums like this to share.

I like phil520 attitude.. I explainf that for me its like wine tasting because I make my own e-juice flavors. And it actually is.

Good luck and good for you and after smoking for 30+ years I can tell you vaping is NOT smoking.

Cindra

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Yup, I still consider myself a smoker/nic fitter. I'm getting there though. I'm on 6-10mg nic most of the time, and 12-14 when I've had a bad day. lol
Thanks mutt :D Easiest way to quit, I tried everything else. Anybody else get craaaaaaazy dreams when they tried chantix? lol

So bad so I hated going to bed at night so what did the Dr. say/do? Gave me sleeping pills. :( So the next day I would be fuzzy, and drugged, very unproductive. Stopped all that and went on smoking.

I am new to the PV world, but I will say, this is day 4 with my pv and day 3 with no analog. I am just amazed. My Dr. has been after me to quit smoking for a year now. Making comments like I am trying to save you from being one of those little old lady's you see walking around with an oxygen tank. The guilt and heartache of the health issues was so depressing that it made me smoke more. :( Just crazy. So I hope they DON'T ban e-cigs, because for those of us who have tried so many times to "quit" smoking and failed, only to find we were smoking more than before we tried, it is a huge step in the right direction I do believe. Also being able to self decrease the nic and then grab that extra when you need it helps you stay in control. Not someone else shoving pills down your throat that change your whole personality and sleeping ability or continuing to use the analog and allowing it to control us, as it has for so long, it is nice to be in a position of control.

Like I said I am new to this but I see it as a very good thing. Yes, without the PV I would prolly not have those analogs in the freezer but in my lungs instead. But as time passes and I start really seeing and feeling the benefits of this step, and work my way down the nic ladder, maybe that wont be the case. I don't know. Time will tell.

I like the idea of being a "vapor" over being a "smoker" and when asked, "Are you a smoker?" I will reply with, "No, I am a vapor!"

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
So bad so I hated going to bed at night so what did the Dr. say/do? Gave me sleeping pills. :( So the next day I would be fuzzy, and drugged, very unproductive. Stopped all that and went on smoking.

I am new to the PV world, but I will say, this is day 4 with my pv and day 3 with no analog. I am just amazed. My Dr. has been after me to quit smoking for a year now. Making comments like I am trying to save you from being one of those little old lady's you see walking around with an oxygen tank. The guilt and heartache of the health issues was so depressing that it made me smoke more. :( Just crazy. So I hope they DON'T ban e-cigs, because for those of us who have tried so many times to "quit" smoking and failed, only to find we were smoking more than before we tried, it is a huge step in the right direction I do believe. Also being able to self decrease the nic and then grab that extra when you need it helps you stay in control. Not someone else shoving pills down your throat that change your whole personality and sleeping ability or continuing to use the analog and allowing it to control us, as it has for so long, it is nice to be in a position of control.

Like I said I am new to this but I see it as a very good thing. Yes, without the PV I would prolly not have those analogs in the freezer but in my lungs instead. But as time passes and I start really seeing and feeling the benefits of this step, and work my way down the nic ladder, maybe that wont be the case. I don't know. Time will tell.

I like the idea of being a "vapor" over being a "smoker" and when asked, "Are you a smoker?" I will reply with, "No, I am a vapor!"

I know how you feel... I've got a bunch of medical problems so my doctors through the years have been at me to quit (32 years).. I finally decided to look into all this vaping and joined the forum before I even got my first one.. The real reason I wanted to vape instead of smoke wasn't for the health reasons though.. I just couldn't handle all the taxes going up every 2 minutes (and you notice that it's fine to drink but you can't smoke and they don't kill people with alchohol taxed??).. So I solved 2 problems with the e-ciggies... It's been 16 months that I've been pretty much analog free except for a ciggie here and there, and my hookah maybe once a week (if that much).. Sleeping pills always wake me up more so that never worked for me at all...

I am never going to quit my nic though... No reason to since nicotine in of itself is as safe as caffeine (without the tar, fiberglass, ect)... Always said I would quit smoking when all the non-smokers got off my back.. Now I've changed it to"All the Nicotine Nazis can kiss my tushy!!!"... All I know is that the FDA can shove it too..

Brat

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
Berlin, CT
I know how it feels to be bashed for my vaping. There is a woman that I work with in the office who does NOTHING but complain about how I haven't quit, I still have to go to the shop for my smoking/vaping, and she whines whines whines.

Needless to say she's one of those high and mighty people who have NEVER smoked a day in her life, so she doesn't have CLUE what it's like to be hooked to nicotine. This is my method of quitting, as of next month I step down to the next lower level of nicotine in my juices.

I'm on 24mg right now and I will go to 18mg in one more week, so far 2-1/2 weeks QUIT. And as to the question of whether or not I would buy a pack of analogs if I ran out of juice this second...my answer...no. Just the smell of analogs makes me gag after two weeks, I couldn't even imagine what would happen if I actually smoked one! LOL

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
I believe many smokers and nonsmokers knows nuts about pv. I just ignored them. But eventually they noticed that there was no 'smoky' smell and they were utterly surprised. They began to ask, "What is that thing?"

Understanding is not by looking only but by experiencing as well. That was how I observed the phenomena. Even smokers gazed at me curiously at the strange device I was vaping with. It was then that I knew they did not understand. Its new to them. Remember the sentence, "Father, forgive them for they know not"?

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
"as smokers we gave them that power in the first place, now as vapers we have to take it back. they can think me wrong all they want, but they don't have the right to bug me about it as this time it's NOT hurting anyone else."

a-bleeping-men.

i haven't run into any antis yet because everybody has been pretty supportive but if i did i'd tell them this almost word for word. i can see the arguments about smoking but vaping? shut up, you have no power over me. there's nothing about vaping that gives them ammunition or power over you.

i think we need to start getting a tad militant and start telling people to shut up. of course genuinely inquisitive people should be educated but hardcore antis? shut the blank up and leave me alone.

as others have said, there are some people out there who are simply joykillers who get off on telling others how to live. those people should be dealt with from a position of strength and righteousness, not meek rebuttals.

Last edited:

dhewey

Oct 31, 2010
Northern Idaho
It probably won't be the last time you'll hear those types of comments. I've heard that one more than a few times and from some surprising sources who I thought would be happy for me and support me, but instead decided to chastise me instead.
:thumbs:

I was so thrilled to quit smoking tobacco and stay quit that I reported the fact to the Smoking Cessation Office at my local Veterans Medical Center, where I receive my medical care, and where I am ALWAYS being told about the dangers of smoking and why I should quit.

When I DID quit, this particular VA office was majorly displeased that I had quit using an e-cigarette instead of the patches they prescribe (which, by the way, have about a 90 percent failure rate).

I was pretty stunned about this negative attitude, and I decided that I will report my quitting to any of the doctors -- primary care or others -- at the VAMC I will hope they have a far more positive attitude my quitting smoking regardless of the method I choose to do it.

:vapor:

Zeroi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
Singapore
Well Your Doctors are greats.
In Singapore, Doctors really don't care and they not looking into this, They reply me that this is not been proven hence Government have Ban E-Cig.
I just drop my Topic with them since We Singaporean are build with that Atitude of Following the Law since we are young.
But not for me, i will follow the law which i think is right. otherwise i'll make the Law by understanding the Law.

I have two different doctors who at present allow me to vape right in front of them IN their office. They are quite excited that I have NOT been smoking for more than 160 days now and want to share this new device with other patients who need to quit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread