Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
upload_2017-12-14_6-38-23.png

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am not entirely sure. Apparently, the Nitcore charger I have may not fully charge all my batteries anyway, and that may be good for battery life? If they're older and not holding a complete charge, I'm not sure. I'd say that they are probably starting to degrade, but I'm not sure if that's to the point of danger yet. Hopefully a battery expert will chime in.... To me it sounds like they may be usable for a bit yet, but please don't quote me on that or take action on that, as I'm completely not sure.... Good luck.

Anna

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I had a problem with batteries that no longer charged to 4.2. I only have one charger that will charge a good battery to 4.2 anyway, but I went thru mine and culled the batteries that only charged to 4.15 - 4.18, those I will be replacing. They could probably still be used, but decided to get rid of them anyway. Funny tho, that of all the batteries I have, it was most of my HG2's I decided to get rid of. I have other batteries the same age or older that are still going strong.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
When batteries start to recharge to 4.17 or 4.18 instead of 4.20, does that mean they definitely need to be thrown out? I have a few that do that.

For a tootler? Probably not. If cloud chasing, with the higher amp needs, maybe.

You're only looking at 3/100ths of a volt. That small a variance can show up from dirty contacts (on the battery or the charger), or it may be from ageing.

I just go by actual use time. If a cell no longer runs the "usual" time, it's time for retirement. For me, and my vaping style, if it won't handle a full KF2L, it's time.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
lets change that.

if a full charge can't handle 5 ml of juice.

my KK only holds 2.5 ml.

then there was one KF fan put a 34 mm bell cap on top of an M tank who extended the chimney and had a KF what held 9 mls.

For a tootler? Probably not. If cloud chasing, with the higher amp needs, maybe.

You're only looking at 3/100ths of a volt. That small a variance can show up from dirty contacts (on the battery or the charger), or it may be from ageing.

I just go by actual use time. If a cell no longer runs the "usual" time, it's time for retirement. For me, and my vaping style, if it won't handle a full KF2L, it's time.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yeah, I generally use "stock", a about 4 mls. 5 is as good a number as any :)

I generally pop in a fresh 18650 any time I fill/refill. If the tank is empty before the battery, the battery is still good enough for my use, at low current (amp). If the battery goes flat before the tank is empty, it's tagged for recycle.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I said 5 because that is what the M tank holds. the stock KFL+ tank only holds 4.5 ml

Yeah, I generally use "stock", a about 4 mls. 5 is as good a number as any :)

I generally pop in a fresh 18650 any time I fill/refill. If the tank is empty before the battery, the battery is still good enough for my use, at low current (amp). If the battery goes flat before the tank is empty, it's tagged for recycle.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada

I use a puff counter to check. I run to many mods and tanks to remember when they were last charged in some of the mods.

I could always use a irreplaceable P3 to check the battery but is there a charger that will check battery condition.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Short of lab test gear to discharge under calibrated load, no, no real good way to test a battery. Although voltage drop after charging, and before use, can be an early indication. Measure voltage after charge, wait a few hours and measure again. Anything more than a few tenths of a volt isn't good.

I typically have around a dozen ready to vape, all different flavors, of course. As long as I put in a fresh cell with a full KF, I don't pay much attention to battery state. It will let me vape (at least) a full tank, or it's history :)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
All the cells we use have a designed lifespan that falls between 300 - 500 discharge cycles.

As cells age used or not they lose capacity, storing cells fully charged lessens lifespan, rate & depth of discharge plays a large part in lifespan, heat is the biggest factor.

Yup, fixin to hear about all the batteries folks have that are 4+ years old & still work 'fine'.
What started as a 20a CDR cell may be 16a after x amount of cycles, or, it could have very easily degraded into a 4a cell in the same time frame. Heat, rate & depth of discharge.

Trying to ring out every last cycle from a battery before it is recycled & replaced is IMO an unnecessary risk to take for the most important single item in vaping safely.

For your normal vaper, no, there really isn't a semi accurate way of determining battery health, and if you did have a way to accurately test under load it would further reduce cell life doing so.

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
I use a puff counter to check. I run to many mods and tanks to remember when they were last charged in some of the mods.

I could always use a irreplaceable P3 to check the battery but is there a charger that will check battery condition.
From what I read, the Hohm Base will do that. It has a "battery doctor " function as well. Maybe @Shawn Hoefer can chime in.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
From what I read, the Hohm Base will do that. It has a "battery doctor " function as well. Maybe @Shawn Hoefer can chime in.
Yeah. The Hohm Base will refresh cells and even charge fully depleted cells. I got mine during the Black Friday sale, and it's already paid for itself by resurrecting about 8 cells destined for the recycle bin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Users who are viewing this thread