Not open for further replies.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
the thing with new vapers and again i refer back to cig-a-likes...most aren't ready for big and bulky and simply want something convenient, cheap and that they can pick up at a gas station....they are still in the smoking mindset...it has to look, feel, taste like a cigarette....after they get used to that and realize that vaping is not smoking and that they are actually able to quit smoking then you can work on a bigger device with better battery life and ect...but at first trying to get them from smoking to using a regulated box mod (even a small istick) isn't an easy thing for them to picture themselves doing...that's why cig-a-likes and well now pod systems are a good thing...they are the baby steps for most people switching and for the rest of us they are nice small devices for us to carry around instead of our huge-ish mods :D

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Ok, so you DO build and refill, going down the DIY route. That somewhat puts the convenience factor in the background. What else makes pods attractive to you folks? the design/looks? availability at the corner store ?

Edit:
the thing with new vapers and again i refer back to cig-a-likes...most aren't ready for big and bulky and simply want something convenient, cheap and that they can pick up at a gas station....they are still in the smoking mindset...it has to look, feel, taste like a cigarette....
Hm.... since I haven't used a pod system (zero attraction), is it really so close to the experience of smoking a cigarette? It's a bit hard to imagine, since vapor is so different in its quality than actual smoke.

If you can spend 1 minute, take a look at this device: CLICK
It's 93mm long, 22mm wide, 2 or 3.5ml, 1500mah, comes in nice colors; a full blown ecig. Would this device interest you, or if not, what would have to change about it in order to become more attractive than a pod?

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
i've only tried the myblu so i couldn't really say
no vaping isn't like smoking, we know that, but getting a smoker to understand that takes some time
most pods that i've read are more mtl vaping and from my experience with cig-a-likes (i'm assuming it's about the same) they do give a tighter draw to give more the feel as sucking through the filter of a cig...and i'll tell you that myblu :facepalm: tasted like an ashtray :lol: so they got the flavor spot on and size wise the myblu is about the size of a cigarette (if you accidentally flattened it :pervy: ) and it weighs about the same as a lighter (if memory serves)
to me really the pod systems are just an updated cig-a-like...when i first started i'd wished cig-a-likes had more of a tank system (which then mystic came out with a tiny tank and it was nice) and of course better battery life (ug.....that was the worst maybe 30 minutes before they died) and from what i see that's really all that the pod systems have achieved....roughly the same form factor (more or less), tank system, better battery....

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
For me, draw activation and the small easily pocketed cigarette-like shape is something that I really like. I also have pods that are push button only. Draw activation makes is more like smoking.

Ego devices are also nice. I chose an Aspire Breeze 1 (AIO, not a pod) instead since it has both draw and button activation. But it turned out the draw activation is so delayed that I use the button only. The draw activation on the Smok Infinix and Suorin Air pod devices is much more responsive.

I just got a Pico 75 and I'll get a Galaxies MTL RDTA in the mail tomorrow. I'll only use it at home. I'm a tootle puffer and will never "progress" to DTL. I use vaping as a smoking cessation aid so I want to reduce rather than progress.

It's good that there are so many options. And there's no need to choose only one. But I could very happily get by on the cheap with only those $1 Myblu kits.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I never tried a Blu. They hit the market after I had been vaping for years. I started with a 510 and eGo and graduated into rebuildables.

Many vapers still vape after all these years because we enjoyed smoking, but admitted that it was going to shorten our lives if we continued. Vaping offers a substitute for smoking that satisfies the nicotine urge and carries on the hand to mouth habit of smoking. The act of smoking is almost as addictive as the nicotine rush.

Lots of us never intend to quit vaping. For us, it's the safer way to continue the actions of smoking without the risk. Sure, vaping probably isn't a benign activity, but so far in the almost 10 years I've vaped there's been no findings that say it's a dangerous activity. I enjoy vaping as a hobby and as a replacement for the Marlboros I once smoked. My doctor is happy with my vaping, but he was constantly telling me I needed to quit smoking. These days he goes down the checklist and asks, "Still vaping instead of smoking?". I answer, "Yes", he says, "Good!", and we go on to other subjects.

My chest X-Rays are clear and normal and have been for years of vaping.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'm not quite sure what to make of the OP's hit and run post about his "Hate with a fiery capital H". About a week before this topic was started, I had previously commented in another topic that...

I quit cigarettes and started vaping in February. I would have started earlier but the hate for pods at a local vape shop stalled me for about a week. Instead of helping me to purchase what I wanted, they bashed pods and pushed sub ohm devices that I didn't want then or now. I ended up leaving the store empty handed. I quit a week later with a Juul that I got from a gas station.

Not only does it drive people away from vaping but the hostility weakens the community at a time when we need to be strong together... supporting each others efforts to quit smoking... and supporting vaping, in general, at a time when it is under scrutiny from the government.

The "Hate with a fiery capital H" for pods and pod people really shocked me when I started vaping.

Another thing that I noticed when I started vaping is that a lot of folks aren't using vaping in the same way as Nicorette. Most people used Nicorette to help them quit smoking and then they quit chewing the gum. They might carry the gum for an emergency but the goal is to stop using. In contrast, there are a lot of people who are vaping for years and have no intention of quitting. It's not easy to stop. I suppose those who quit, probably aren't surfing vaping forums. They also probably aren't amassing large collections of vape stuff if they want to quit. Although I don't collect vape stuff, I don't have hate for collectors. On the plus side, it may keep them vaping instead of smoking. On the down side, it may make it more unlikely that they'll quit vaping after they successfully quit smoking. Depends on the individual goals and perspective.

Very astute, regarding the issue of animosity. In fact, one source of MANY laughs has been how strongly people feel about their style of vaping, or their devices. It's one thing to share information and opinions, but it's quite another to take a position of, "You MUST try...".

I must? Well, o-KAY then! :lol:

@Katdarling often comes up with random thread topics, 99% of which will never see the light of day. One of my all-time favorites though, was one that never did quite crack reality. It was all about how all everyone wanted to talk about what was THEY did. Very understandably, that, but still somewhat funny.

The title would have been:
"YOU DON'T CARE WHAT I VAPE (sadface)!"

With emphasis on the "sadface", of course, it could have been fun. :laugh:

On the plus side though, there are only about 100 of us here these days, at any given time, so the impact on the $2B (and growing) market is close to non-existent. We can pretty much beyotch & moan until our hearts are content, and the market will continue on its merry way. Few (if any) new vapers will be deterred by our antics.

So, fire at will, capital "H"'s and all. We may as well have some fun while we're here. :D

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Why does noone consider small tubes? I'm seriously baffled. It's as if these devices are somehow invisible.

I have a closet full of small tubes. Some have different size tubes for either 18350 or 18650 batteries. Some telescope to accommodate different batteries. In either configuration with a tank on top they are too heavy, tall and clumsy for shirt pocket carry. (My main interest in pods)

An Eleaf iJust ONE costs $5, is a small rugged tube with 1100mah and holds 2ml. All the goodies of a small device with none of the drawbacks of a pod system, no? Or at least something like the Eleaf iCard, which has the looks and measures of a pod system, but is an actual full blown e-cig with replacable coils and a fillable tank...

Both of these are attractive to me, but again the I just is tall and cumbersome 'to me'. Already have plenty of similar as mentioned above. The iCard caught my eye when I first saw it but for that small juice capacity I can get smaller.

Of course I understand why manufacturers like pod systems and are now producing so many, but why would a somewhat reasonable consumer choose an expensive pod device over a small regular device?

First off some pods are very inexpensive. 2 that I'm considering are the BOULDER ROCK ($7) and the Justfog Minifit ($11). Both are refillable and while not intended to be rebuilt they can be. Appears the ROCK would be the more difficult of the 2 but has the larger battery capacity. So that said I'm still on the fence cuz I already ordered a 5ml capacity MTL RTA to place on my current mods. If that doesn't suit me I'll probably try a Minfit in the near future. It's always been about SMALL for me and that Minifit is so darn tiny that I just might have to try it even if it means keeping 3 or 4 if them handy to get thru the day.

To each his own vape. Ain't it wonderful!

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I never tried a Blu. They hit the market after I had been vaping for years. I started with a 510 and eGo and graduated into rebuildables.

Many vapers still vape after all these years because we enjoyed smoking, but admitted that it was going to shorten our lives if we continued. Vaping offers a substitute for smoking that satisfies the nicotine urge and carries on the hand to mouth habit of smoking. The act of smoking is almost as addictive as the nicotine rush.

Lots of us never intend to quit vaping. For us, it's the safer way to continue the actions of smoking without the risk. Sure, vaping probably isn't a benign activity, but so far in the almost 10 years I've vaped there's been no findings that say it's a dangerous activity. I enjoy vaping as a hobby and as a replacement for the Marlboros I once smoked. My doctor is happy with my vaping, but he was constantly telling me I needed to quit smoking. These days he goes down the checklist and asks, "Still vaping instead of smoking?". I answer, "Yes", he says, "Good!", and we go on to other subjects.

My chest X-Rays are clear and normal and have been for years of vaping.

This this this this THIS. (Well said, Mr. P) :toast:

For me, vaping is my smoking alternative. Nothing more, nothing less. Just as I never really intended to cease the smoking habit, I also never goaled quitting vaping.

The hobby aspect of vaping has been invaluable to me. No, not (ONLY) because I get to own a bunch of shiny, blingy electronics, but because it still, after all these years, keeps me away from cigarettes. It was (and remains) my perfect distraction.

As for podlettes, I do see their place amongst the swarm of available devices. I sure as h (not capitalized) don't love everything about them, but their miniscule dimensions are a REAL draw for me. My shoulders thank me as I walk with a much lighter purse. Could there BE a more perfect backup for O&A? Nope, not fer me! Having said that, they'll remain in my arsenal, but shall never achieve front row center.

Oh, and DPL?

"YOU DON'T CARE WHAT I VAPE (sadface)!"

c0871c38-0c27-4ae4-9196-389fa986867a-992cb1e1-eaa3-454d-ad52-7488a82bd040-v1.png

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I'm not quite sure what to make of the OP's hit and run post about his "Hate with a fiery capital H". About a week before this topic was started, I had previously commented in another topic that...

I quit cigarettes and started vaping in February. I would have started earlier but the hate for pods at a local vape shop stalled me for about a week. Instead of helping me to purchase what I wanted, they bashed pods and pushed sub ohm devices that I didn't want then or now. I ended up leaving the store empty handed. I quit a week later with a Juul that I got from a gas station.

Not only does it drive people away from vaping but the hostility weakens the community at a time when we need to be strong together... supporting each others efforts to quit smoking... and supporting vaping, in general, at a time when it is under scrutiny from the government.

The "Hate with a fiery capital H" for pods and pod people really shocked me when I started vaping.

Another thing that I noticed when I started vaping is that a lot of folks aren't using vaping in the same way as Nicorette. Most people used Nicorette to help them quit smoking and then they quit chewing the gum. They might carry the gum for an emergency but the goal is to stop using. In contrast, there are a lot of people who are vaping for years and have no intention of quitting. It's not easy to stop. I suppose those who quit, probably aren't surfing vaping forums. They also probably aren't amassing large collections of vape stuff if they want to quit. Although I don't collect vape stuff, I don't have hate for collectors. On the plus side, it may keep them vaping instead of smoking. On the down side, it may make it more unlikely that they'll quit vaping after they successfully quit smoking. Depends on the individual goals and perspective.
why they likely hated pods (and yes i have tried the Juul,, its not bad for a pod)
because,, lightweight equipment doesnt have a high success rate compared to equipment you will likely grow into.

my first vape set up was from a vape store and it lasted me exactly 1 day,, then i had to go to another vape store to get a system with a real battery.,,,,,,,if i hadn't been so committed to the vape I would have ended up back on cigs. pods were designed to take your money not really get you off cigs (imho) --------2pads/35years

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I dislike pods strongly.

#1 - They're making the manufacturs lazy and greedy when they should be busy developing new technology.
As I see it, the bang/buck ratio for pods is somewhere between low and superlow. I don't like it when an allegedly reasonable customership freely pays a huge premium for something they could have much much cheaper. That gives the industry the wrong type of motivation.

#2 - The production of garbage. I'm not a treehugger but I strongly dislike inefficient use of resources, which includes the production/consumption of things just to throw them away shortly thereafter. And it's worse if that which is thrown away, is not easily degradable or recyclable. It's reasonable to use paper bags instead of plastic bags to carry your groceries home. It's not reasonable to buy micro portions of other things you consume in a huge number of single plastic repositories, creating much more plastic garbage overall than you could ever hope to avoid by sticking to your paper bags.

Sure, we all take our liberties, it's just that some types of convenience make a lot less sense than others.

*BTW:* I have looked around, and found a beautiful, truly tiny, and re-fillable device which re-uses JT BF coils: The Mi-One from Smoking Vapor. It received glowing reviews.
mi_one-13.jpg

Unfortunately, it's very very hard to find, and moreso for a reasonable price because it seems to already have reached its EOL. Bummer.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
pods were designed to take your money not really get you off cigs

Or...or...for experienced vapers who can, now, leave their Fancy, Big, Heavy and sometimes Expensive Tanks/Mods at home when they head out the door...

I lose my $1 MyBlu...who cares???

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Or...or...for experienced vapers who can, now, leave their Fancy, Big, Heavy and sometimes Expensive Tanks/Mods at home when they head out the door...

I lose my $1 MyBlu...who cares???

to each his own,, a pod holds about an hours worth of vape for me---so i would need many of the pods which is not being smart with my money in vaping tools for my style. my equipment is not fancy or expensive,, or even heavy and fits in my pocket fine.

i even bought a tiny icare system and refilled & rewicked it,, it was ok,, until i realized i would have to refill every hour and i wasnt getting a satisfying hit. ---but again, this is personal preference,, tootlepuffers might love that product.

i dont hate pods,, they are fine in a pinch for most people,, but the cig co's designed them to just be part of a trend but also to make money off you if you take to it. part of the dislike of pods is 'who is offering them'..the same companies that make the cigs. personally i like the whole diy aspect of vaping,, for the most part i have a lifetime supply of equipment so my going forward expenses are very little. (savings to date according to my app is $11109.10 no inflation adjustments)

anyway,, enjoy your journey,, its exactly right for you :)

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
I think pods and such definitely have their place. To a new vaper they're a great and easy way to begin, and the right one (subjective, I know) will get them off cigs. I've vaped 5 1/2 years, currently use sub-ohm MTL 24 mg. But...when that large $1 sale was going on with the MyBlu I picked up a bunch. I find them very sufficient and satisfying. They're great for using while driving, instead of balancing a box mod in the cup holder. I find myself using both, even at home, like right now. A the least, it sure prolongs my 18650s life!

WHATEVER anyone needs to stay off cigs is all good...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This this this this THIS. (Well said, Mr. P) :toast:

For me, vaping is my smoking alternative. Nothing more, nothing less. Just as I never really intended to cease the smoking habit, I also never goaled quitting vaping.

The hobby aspect of vaping has been invaluable to me. No, not (ONLY) because I get to own a bunch of shiny, blingy electronics, but because it still, after all these years, keeps me away from cigarettes. It was (and remains) my perfect distraction.

People have asked me, "So, you quit the cigarettes by vaping ... when you gonna quit vaping?"

The short answer is ... never! No plans in my future to stop vaping.

And then I've had them say, "You know that stuff has antifreeze in it, don't you?".

Last edited:

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Why does noone consider small tubes? I'm seriously baffled. It's as if these devices are somehow invisible.

An Eleaf iJust ONE costs $5, is a small rugged tube with 1100mah and holds 2ml. All the goodies of a small device with none of the drawbacks of a pod system, no? Or at least something like the Eleaf iCard, which has the looks and measures of a pod system, but is an actual full blown e-cig with replacable coils and a fillable tank...

Of course I understand why manufacturers like pod systems and are now producing so many, but why would a somewhat reasonable consumer choose an expensive pod device over a small regular device?

I have a few tube style mods (Endura T20 and Prince Stick), I just don't like them. They tend to be top heavy and are still not pocket friendly to me. That's just me and my thoughts on them. If they work for you, go ahead and use them. It is the beauty of vaping. My style works for me and others have a style which works for them. To each their own. I tend to recommend what works for me.

Trying to see what is so expensive about pods. I use two Breeze 2's, an Infinix, a Minifit, and a EQ. I have a few others but these are the pods I use most of the time. Not one of them are over $30 and some are under $20. Replacement pod or coils are all under $3. I have spent more than that on many tanks which I used for a week and put in my drawer of misfit vape stuff because what someone said was the best new tank ever, did not fit my style. That is nothing compared to the many mods I have bought which quickly became paperweights because they didn't fit my style.

I would recommend any of the above mentioned pods to a person trying to quit. Why? Because they are easy to use and provide a vape which is much more satisfying than the cig-a-likes I started with about 5 years ago. I also think pods provide a better vape than the ego battery and C-4's which was my step up device back then. I kind of feel they provide a more consistent vape than the MVP and Protank setup which got me off smokes back then. Would have rather have spent $20ish compared to all the money I spent back then to find a satisfying vape. Not sure what all the hate is about, as I said above, to each their own.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Well, I think I may have cured my shinyitis for a pod system. It started when I found out Aspire brought out the Spryte system reviving the venerable old BVC coils. I still have like 7 packs of them. But checking out the Spryte thread they seem to be having an issue with considerable condensation in the mouthpiece. I'm not going there .

So I started looking at other pods and found I couple I thought were promising. Then last evening I got home from 3 weeks on the road and started digging thru my vape closet. I actually found that I still have a fistful of working eGo/Evod VV batteries. Have a couple 2.4ml capacity Aspire BDC tanks (think poor mans Nautilus) using the same coils as the Spryte that I haven't busted yet. So here's my new pod(esque) system powered by 650 mAh batteries with choice of 4 power levels by clicking the fire button 3 times. Haven't seen that in a new pod yet.
IMG_20180827_080555.jpg

Just a couple days before the Spryte got me all hot and bothered for a pod system I had ordered a 5ml Dvawr V2 MTL RTA clone. When it finally shows up it'll be mounted on one of these tiny bad boys packing 700 mAh 18350 batteries. And still be small enough.

IMG_20180827_081405.jpg

So the flaming desire to get me a pod has been quashed to an ember for now. But I'll probably just have to experience one someday.

So even with vaping, what goes around comes around if ya hang on to it long enough.

Now it's time to make me some high octane (36mg?) 50/50 juice.

Last edited:

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
(think poor mans Nautilus)
View attachment 763121

My authentic Nautilus I put away, missing the pin in the spring (was it ever even in there?). Authentic coils I have had fail.

Poor mans Nautilus? I tried a "clone" Nautilus for around $11 and "clone" BVC coils for $3 per 5. Except the clone did have the pin in the spring (that's what made me realize it was missing from the authentic) there was no difference. It's been about 8 months and have not had a single coil fail prematurely.

After the first test I stocked up on both the "clone" tank and coils.

I often wonder if they are really clones...

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Vaping's more like cooking and all that entails and involves. There's no one pan solution. We don't cook as a hobby but out of desire and reward. And we don't stop at pancakes. But vape memory is short and we can settle for what suffices. We can decide a pod fits our needs. But then a podder we shall be. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But there is a universe of vape out there to be had. And there's no such thing as too many recipes for it.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread