TSA Approved E-cigarettes Claims Are False

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
All lighters are no longer allowed in the sterile area (Beyond the Checkpoint)
They are now! In fact, as of August 2007: TSA: New Policies for Lighters, Electronics, and Breast Milk

Honestly, in April 2007 my lighter was confiscated when I went back through security at Newark, so I got bookmatches for the flight home. I took the same precaution Feb 2008, not knowing lighters were OK again. Then I heard they were OK, and last November I cleared security at Orlando, Atlanta and Newark (several times) with a lighter in my bag no problems. I guess the ban lift wasn't that well publicised as I spotted many, many discarded lighters near the checkpoint in Atlanta!

I will be sure to take my e-liquid in its original bottle, I was gonna take it in a smaller, plain bottle but I'll heed your comments, thanks :thumb:

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
I can't believe I forgot about that bulletin! :oops: I haven't worked for them for quite awhile but I still have my ear to the ground through friends. Just remember there are A LOT of smokers working for TSA. It kind of drives you to it. The most I ever smoked in my life was when I was working for them. 5 1/2 PACKS a day of American Sprit Blue! 8-o After I left TSA was when I switched to Eclipse. I got tired of coughing up a tar ball in the morning. You can always spot a TSO smoking because they have 2 or more cigs in their hand on their break.

The fact that I now only vape even amazes me.
So expect them asking "Where can I get one?"

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Heehee, every time I went to my 'special' smoking area at Newark (to the right of Terminal C, checkpoint level) there seemed to be only staff there - I think passengers tend to use the lower level areas at arrivals. I just got a kick out of the fact you could walk right out of the sterile area for a smoke, even if I did get told off a couple of times for repeatedly leaving and going back in! Sorry, but the bars are AFTER security - if I have a beer or two, 2 hours before my flight, I WILL go out 'cos I can!

In the UK, once you are past security, that's it. No getting out. It's like being in prison!

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
Question:

To whom it may concern,

I have recently seen claims that this administration has approved of the use of Electronic Cigarettes on aircraft.

I would like to inquire about the truth of these statements.

Thank you in advance.

Response:Reference # 090119-000018

It is against the law to use any type of cigarettes on an aircraft.
FAA Customer Service Agent

Date Created 01/19/2009 12:09 PM

Date Closed 01/23/2009 01:02 PM

lafftur

Mar 22, 2009
Response:Reference # 090119-000018

It is against the law to use any type of cigarettes on an aircraft.
FAA Customer Service Agent

Date Created 01/19/2009 12:09 PM

Date Closed 01/23/2009 01:02 PM[/quote]

The info listed -- reference number especially -- indicates that this is from a knowledgebase and CRM application called RightNow. RN has the capability of autoresponses based upon phrases from their FAQs. Entirely possible that there is not a real human behind this actual email...it may be an auto response from the Kbase.

If there is a chat option on the site, try that. You will get a human behind the electrons at that point.

NewVaper,
Lafftur

My email to them:

Response:

To: (Edited)
Subject: Re: TSA Contact Us: Passenger and Traveler Information <<#280624-377674#>>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:51:41 -0500
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]Thank you for your e-mail. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif,Arial]The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat.

{...And see, now, and furthermore, We certianly do believe you honestly think you understand what you believe you heard us say, however you must also realize that what you think you heard us say is not what we originally meant if the first place... Naw'sir...}
[/FONT]

AnglVapin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Cajunland - Louisiana
I am really confused on this. Do they confiscate them or not?
According to TSA's link...
"Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur."

TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread