Turbocad's finally selling mods :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hey dj, what's up. you're more than welcome here bro, as is any modder from the forums here, we're all brothers with the same interests and goals, all modders are welcome in my thread :)

you and george did an awesome job on this 510 man. I used to build spring loaded 510's from fatdaddy pins so I know exactly what you mean, def not the kind of thing that can be made very compact because of the range needed and the space for compression needed. mine were hand made and def more crude but worked the same way really

IMG_20150201_000717_zpsdeuiogqw.jpg

I used to use a compressed gasket at the bottom of the cup though, the way you guys used a tiny o-ring at the head is really cool and makes it relatively compact for what it is all things considered. it's really just about perfect for most mods, mine just required an extremely shallow design because there's a battery right under the atty instead of a bottle. my current 510 design is extremely short

and yeah, I bought a few of the evolv 510's hoping I may be able to bottom feed them but I agree there pretty much crap, especially as far as possibly bottom feeding them anyway.. I never even used one in anything tbh, they're in a bag somewhere and probably never be used for anything :)

man you guys keep saying it's only 4mm but this 4mm is really fuggin killing me. I pressure tested the VT 510 this morning and it seemed really good, I really like this thing so I decided to go back to the drawing board and try and build a new mod body adding the .15" to the width to accommodate it. I pulled a double today and winded up building a whole new mod body from scratch to fit the new 510... I guess it's not so bad really, but 15 hundredths is 15 hundredths no matter how you slice it. I'd be lying if I said I like it just as much as without the extra 15 hundredths... yeah I can slim the bottom down and round it off and shape it to kinda accept the extra width, but truth is, honestly, it's better without it than with...

I shaped it a bit and slimmed down and tapered the lower part of the mod so it doesn't feel too much bigger in the hand than without the extra width... the good thing is now it fits great with the VT 510 but there's no denying that it's not quite as narrow and sleek as it was... I'm torn here, I like the mod better from a maintenance free point of view with the new 510 but I like it better from a size point of view with the old setup....

it's not final shaped or sanded here so don't judge the finish, it's still rough, both of these are just testing units. could only do so much in one day, tomorrow I should be able to install a chip and complete it for more testing and final shaping. even the bezel needs more rounding too, but this is about the size of it with an extra .15"

IMG_0666_zpsng2jfcwt.jpg

IMG_0672_zps6jvv5rve.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsyunifwq0.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsg0jltpzq.jpg

IMG_0669_zpsp77iyngy.jpg

new one is on the bottom

IMG_0668_zpswiksmn73.jpg

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
The funny part is I started with silicone too, G found the spring. I cut up my wife's silicone bakeware into flat orings for compression, worked well, but only for a while. Then switched to using tubing for the same thing as G remembered you using it. We just kept hitting a wall as the compression reduced over time. So far, the spring didn't hasn't exhibited that problem and we went with it.

Anyway, good luck and hope it works out. Now time for my last 12.5 hr work day this week.....argh.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
hey dj, what's up. you're more than welcome here bro, as is any modder from the forums here, we're all brothers with the same interests and goals, all modders are welcome in my thread :)

you and george did an awesome job on this 510 man. I used to build spring loaded 510's from fatdaddy pins so I know exactly what you mean, def not the kind of thing that can be made very compact because of the range needed and the space for compression needed. mine were hand made and def more crude but worked the same way really

IMG_20150201_000717_zpsdeuiogqw.jpg

I used to use a compressed gasket at the bottom of the cup though, the way you guys used a tiny o-ring at the head is really cool and makes it relatively compact for what it is all things considered. it's really just about perfect for most mods, mine just required an extremely shallow design because there's a battery right under the atty instead of a bottle. my current 510 design is extremely short

and yeah, I bought a few of the evolv 510's hoping I may be able to bottom feed them but I agree there pretty much crap, especially as far as possibly bottom feeding them anyway.. I never even used one in anything tbh, they're in a bag somewhere and probably never be used for anything :)

man you guys keep saying it's only 4mm but this 4mm is really fuggin killing me. I pressure tested the VT 510 this morning and it seemed really good, I really like this thing so I decided to go back to the drawing board and try and build a new mod body adding the .15" to the width to accommodate it. I pulled a double today and winded up building a whole new mod body from scratch to fit the new 510... I guess it's not so bad really, but 15 hundredths is 15 hundredths no matter how you slice it. I'd be lying if I said I like it just as much as without the extra 15 hundredths... yeah I can slim the bottom down and round it off and shape it to kinda accept the extra width, but truth is, honestly, it's better without it than with...

I shaped it a bit and slimmed down and tapered the lower part of the mod so it doesn't feel too much bigger in the hand than without the extra width... the good thing is now it fits great with the VT 510 but there's no denying that it's not quite as narrow and sleek as it was... I'm torn here, I like the mod better from a maintenance free point of view with the new 510 but I like it better from a size point of view with the old setup....

it's not final shaped or sanded here so don't judge the finish, it's still rough, both of these are just testing units. could only do so much in one day, tomorrow I should be able to install a chip and complete it for more testing and final shaping. even the bezel needs more rounding too, but this is about the size of it with an extra .15"

IMG_0666_zpsng2jfcwt.jpg

IMG_0672_zps6jvv5rve.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsyunifwq0.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsg0jltpzq.jpg

IMG_0669_zpsp77iyngy.jpg

new one is on the bottom

IMG_0668_zpswiksmn73.jpg
Hmmmm,

I think I'ma need bout 3 months worth a testin on dat thing, just to make sure it fits my hand, kin I gets it tamarra?

Seriously, don't go nutz on this, looks great to me,

What you guys think?

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm all for lower maintenance. I know you were trying to keep it absolutely as small as possible which is a great thing...but.... we're talking about .15 of an inch. ;) Do what you feel comfortable with Turbo but I don't think it's a big deal.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
guess it's not so bad, it's not a huge difference but it's def a big difference in totally maintenance free, so I guess it's worth it... I wasn't able to assemble it as a completed mod today but will tomorrow and see how it feels in use... I'll get a video up too, finding the right way to make a video has proven to be not as easy as I would have thought :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
oh who the heck am I kidding, yeah I know I said I guess it's not so bad, but truth is, to me, it is just BAD!. now I really know where the saying "don't loose any sleep over it" actually comes from because I've literally lost a whole lot of sleep past few nights over this problem here. my design had months of tweaking and tuning to get everything to be just perfect, and then, now, all of a sudden having to add anything at all to the width is just not sitting too well with me. one hundred and fifty thousandths???... as a machinist .150" is just HUGE, especially when everything has already been fine tuned down to the last .001" in the width, the width is a big deal here and it's why I came up with the over and under design in the first place, hell it may as well be an extra inch and a half wide as far as I feel about it, I had everything nested together perfectly and it was as narrow as possible for my design and it just felt great, no wasted space at all, now all of a sudden the new one just feels too wide... yes that little difference makes a big difference to me, I can't help it, after feeling the way it was before I just hate the way the new one feels.

the width of this mod is what made it so great, it felt awesome in hand, didn't feel too wide at all, it felt as good as any normal single 18650 mod, but now, adding that .15" makes it suddenly just feel wide. I just don't like it. if I had to add slightly to the height I think I could accept that easier because that doesn't change the feel, doesn't change the pocket ability and doesn't really hurt as much as having to widen it.

but the flip side is I really love this new 510, it's the best bf 510 by far and it's just really a great design. bottom line is I really want this 510 on my mod, but I don't want to compromise the width for it. until seeing this 510 I thought my own 510 design was pretty good, but truth is, this new spring loaded vt 510 is just superior to my own design, the compressed o-ring riding the bore is just genius, you have no idea how much this whole situation has tormented me the past few days... I must have this 510 in my mod but I also must keep the width to what it was before, I can't live with the extra width version, I don't even want to finish building the one I made to test it even, I don't like it, it's depressing just holding it, I don't even want to vape it

I just couldn't let this defeat me and ruin all of the planning and design work I've done so far, yes it really felt ruined, and I just refused to accept it, I just felt like I have to come up with a solution no mater what it takes and it was frustrating the hell out of me... even my wife looked at me the other day and said what the heck is wrong with you, you look so miserable... I just muttered something like I have a big problem with this thing, she said don't worry I have faith in you. def felt good when I had no idea what the heck I was going to do at the time. anyway, last night after thinking about this over and over again I finally came up with an idea for a way to have the best of both worlds, all I need to do is pull off some way of making an offset, a way to shift the pin over by .15" as soon as it exits the 510. maybe I'll have to raise the 510 by .1" or so, that I can live with, it won't change the feel of the mod at all, so late last night I emailed vt and also sent a msg to drunkj to try to find out what thread this 510 center pin is... I tried measuring it myself and it seemed to be very close to a 6-32 but it was def a finer thread, and measuring it as metric it measured to be right in-between a 3mm and a 4mm, so I wasn't sure exactly what the heck it was... well this morning I got answers from both. turns out it's a really oddball, 3.5mm X .6 thread.

so today I made a trip to a local tool supply house which happens to be an awesome little tool warehouse, they have every odd ball thing you could ever imagine and of course they did happen to have the 3.5mmX.6 taps and dies I needed for this and since I was going there anyway of course I bought a bunch of other stuff too, picked up a few toolmakers precision vices to revamp my whole vice setup while I'm at it, then I headed back home and designed and made an offset for this thing, and it works out great. I did have to slot the head of the pin so I can screw it into the offset tightly from the top

this is the first one, I have to take some precise measurements from this one to minimize the size and fine tune the final production version, but even as a rough prototype it works perfectly. solid, leak free and flows fine, so finally PROBLEM SOLVED! :) I think i'll def get some sleep tonight finally :)

IMG_0676_zpsyzai03k2.jpg

IMG_0677_zpsuklun5oe.jpg

IMG_0678_zpsds9brr1h.jpg

IMG_0679_zpsff1r9u86.jpg

IMG_0680_zpsrm3pmns4.jpg

IMG_0681_zpsqn7kifh8.jpg

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
working on trying to refine this design, of course stainless steel may be best but I've got to price out having them made, making each one by hand is very tedious although I may have to in the beginning, either that or making them from pickled brass with no lead may be a decent option? anyone think pickled brass would be bad? there are benefits and drawbacks to each choice...

here's what I have so far. the open end will be sealed with an allen insert, this is of course necessary to get the full juice path with no restrictions

IMG_0687_zpszmtxrwaq.jpg

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
So it's just an offset squonk tube? Have you considered a piece of SS tubing threaded first then bent in a tubing bender or bench vise? Think tiny conduit. 3/16" 304 SS thin wall would still allow you to thread for,the m3.5 510 threads internally. Not feasible to move the 510 over 10mm?

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
working on trying to refine this design, of course stainless steel may be best but I've got to price out having them made, making each one by hand is very tedious although I may have to in the beginning, either that or making them from pickled brass with no lead may be a decent option? anyone think pickled brass would be bad? there are benefits and drawbacks to each choice...

here's what I have so far. the open end will be sealed with an allen insert, this is of course necessary to get the full juice path with no restrictions

IMG_0687_zpszmtxrwaq.jpg

A plastic Allen insert would ensure no leaking. But not as durable.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
a bend tube would take up more room for sure, to keep it as shallow as possible it really has to be a cross drilled block. a bend might work if the center pin was the tube itself because then the radius could begin right before the exit, but that would be a bit more complicated to pull off as far as assembly and there would be a problem as far as an up stop, don't think it would work nearly as well as this... I'm still working a few other ideas but so far this seems to be the most practical way to pull it off

Reactions: Gigdujour

tpedwards

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2013
Australia
I've been reading your entire thread this past day or two. Given the level of thought and effort you put in to this project to satisfy your own demands, I'm sure anyone buying one will be more than satisfied. Great work, your talent and skill are undeniable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

artv61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
SC,USA
a bend tube would take up more room for sure, to keep it as shallow as possible it really has to be a cross drilled block. a bend might work if the center pin was the tube itself because then the radius could begin right before the exit, but that would be a bit more complicated to pull off as far as assembly and there would be a problem as far as an up stop, don't think it would work nearly as well as this... I'm still working a few other ideas but so far this seems to be the most practical way to pull it off
What about delving block?,strong and easily workable

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread