UPDATE!! SmokeStik Post Memorial Day Contest.....check out this fabulous new battery! In Honor of 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynleestar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
NW Indiana
I also had to leave for work just as the second tower was hit. What was normally a beautiful 30 minute drive to work that I loved seemed to take hours and was nerve wrenching. I was working at a restaurant at the time and it was so slow all day, hardly anyone came in and we just watched it unfold on the t.v. It was very hard to absorb. A very unforgettable day.

rob5482

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
new york
I have been following this from the start and only now could post something.

Lori, I want to thank you and Smokestik for doing this.

I sit here crying as I am trying to write this, its all too close to my heart. I was one of the Paramedics that was there, but I responded from home. I had the day off because I did whats called a mutual. A mutual is when one person works another persons shift in exchange for that person working theirs. Paramedic Ricardo Quinn took my shift that day, and because of that he is one of the FDNY/EMS paramedics that died. That was my bus (ambulance) and I should have been on it, it should have been me.

I was at home with my wife the day and my 10 month old when it happened, watching Godzilla on tv waiting for the wife to finish up with the baby and go out to the store. I remember a news-break about it at the same time a few of my co-workers were calling me asking me if I saw it. I turned on cnn to see the repeating footage of tower 1 getting hit and I immediately ran upstairs to get my uniform. I kissed my wife, saw her confused look and told her to put the news on and she will understand.

On my way in I picked up 3 other off duty ems personnel and continued the drive into the city all the while thinking WTF how could this happen. The on the radio new of the other plane came through. That was all we needed to hear, we knew it wasn't an accident.

We got to ground zero shortly after that and were told to head over to Chelsie piers because they were setting up a field hospital for the survivors. We waited, and saw tower 2 go, we waited and saw tower 1 go, what we never saw was patients, there were none. I left the piers on the 2nd day to head over to ground zero and spent the next 4 days there.

I was angry as hell. I still am, I am bitter to the core about this. Not because of what happened, but because of the atrocity that happened after. I wont go into detail about it because I could write a novel on it. Things that are still happening, being denied, swept under the rug. I still say it should have been me there. My wife says God has other plans for me. I don't know about that all I know is the hurt I feel when I think about it.

It's hard to believe its been 10 years since that day, and I still cant look at a picture of the site. I tried to go there one time with the family, to pay my respects I guess, and I was a bawling mess. I lost alot of good friends that day and still have no answers. They say I suffer from PTSD, but I keep saying how can it be post if it is running through my head every day.

Well I am loosing my train of thought so I will end this by saying, Lori I appreciate what Smokstik is doing and thank you for that. We do what we do because of our passion to help others. We don't expect anything in return, the thanks on a patient's face is more then enough. There is no glory in being a paramedic, there is pain, and suffering and hurt and all we try and do is make it a little better. Don't get me wrong, there are wonderful days as well, the 1st person you bring back, or the baby you delivered have you riding high the rest of the day.

Thanks again.

images

Last edited by a moderator:

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
.........I still say it should have been me there. My wife says God has other plans for me. I don't know about that all I know is the hurt I feel when I think about it.....

Rob, thanks so much for sharing your heart. My Dad was a WWII B29 pilot who twice saved his crew and plane from impossible situations and got them home. He used to say the same thing.... "It should have been me out there.... I don't know why God let me live...." I know it was his way of trying to express something that was beyond expressing. I used to smile and say.... "Hellooooo. I'm sittin' right here...." He'd laugh with me and say "you know what I mean."

I think the truth is... No one should have been there. It shouldn't have been you and it shouldn't have been him. But it was. And for whatever reason or plan, by God's grace, you are around to love your wife and kids and share your experience with us. It shouldn't have been you there..... and you are here for the future of us all. Thanks for sticking around.

rob5482

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
new york
DNC: Don't know if there is a problem with responding in thread, if there is and is is going to skew the numbers let me know.

It's an honor to be able to give you the space to speak your heart.

What is honorable is that you have give EVERYONE the space to express their feelings. My feelings are no different then another's (they may be more intense) be everyone in the WORLD was effected that day.

Ces: thank you, it is still almost impossible for me to speak of that day. It took me almost 2 hours to write what i did.

Hyonlyph: I understand what you are saying, but (w/o getting into a debate) what about his son? or wife? They ask Why Him. So yes I am still here to help anyone and everyone that I can but I still (and always will) that it should have been me.

I don't remember times, or anything like that, a lot of that day is sort of a haze in my memory. The night before I had gotten very little sleep, as I had been up all night coding a website for someone. On Sept 11th, my mother woke me out of a sound sleep (yeah, I still lived at home) and told me a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I threw on some pants and followed her into the living room, plopped down in a chair just in time to watch the second plane hit the second tower.

That woke me up.

To this day, that image still stands out in my head. I still remember the words of the news anchor. I still remember my phone ringing about a minute after the plane hit, and my sometimes-girlfriend asking "are you watching this ....?"

I sat at home for an hour or so watching the news. Finally I called and got no answer at the Internet "radio" studio where I had a weekly show. I called a friend who also had a show and we agreed to meet there. After a yelling match with my mother who would have been happier had I dug a hole and crawled into it, given that I was driving about 15 - 20 miles closer to downtown Houston (and would literally be on its doorstep), I set out.

I met Darwin at the Earthwire studio, and we hung with Martin, and a few other people who were there. For quite a while, we all took turns relaying news and information onto the live feed. Finally we gave up and basically started playing music and redirecting people to CNN's website if they wanted updated information, stating that it was just coming too quickly for us to keep up with it, and that out regularly scheduled DJs would have whatever info they would have - if they showed up.

So for the next 18 hours or so, we held vigil in a small building that had a ton of history on the edge of downtown Houston/Monstrose, and held a small party, poetry slam, live jam session, prayer session, and even a pagan spell or ritual or two were done for the benefit of those caught in the buildings, and those gone to their aid.

All in all, we spent a long time sitting there, live on the "air", remembering people we didn't even know. People we didn't even know were dead or alive. People we didn't even know who we didn't even know were dead or alive, putting every ounce of energy and good will we had towards their rescue and life saving efforts.

After a good sleep that night (12 - 14 hours), I was back the next day, and did it again. I think we kept it up until Sunday, making it a week long event. It's helped cement what it was all about, and what this nation is all about, and how we all pull together in times of crisis and need. Well, in times of crisis, at least. I've learned on my own that we don't pull together in times of need, not unless there's crisis involved. But that's just my cynical nature.

Anyway, September 11th is burned into my memory, from just waking up and wiping my eyes, lowering my hand, and seeing a plane fly into a building, to announcing stuff "on the air," to MCing the poetry slam. That day will never die in my mind.

interestingfellow

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Virginia US
I was supposed to be at work at 7am, but woke up late. I was working at Newport News Shipbuilding.I remember jumping in my wife's (then gfriend) CRX, and cruising off in a hurry.
Turned Mancow on the radio, and genuinely thought of the Orson wells War of the Wworlds radio broadcast. I wasn't sure if they were putting on a show or not. About 60 seconds into listening to it, they started shouting "another plane just.....". I could hear the fear in their voices, still unsure if it was a stunt or act, i strolled into work and started asking co-workers about it. Finally someone verified it as the truth, and we all found tv's to see the coverage.

I just remember thinking it was a dream. There was no way terrorists could have successfully hit the sleeping giant that hard, and at home.

It was surreal.

pchela

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2010
The only blue county in Texas!
I was awoken a frantic friend calling me to tell me the United States was under terrorist attack. So, of course, I was confused and alarmed and so turned on the television to find the news. I watched the second plane hit live and the towers coming down. Our friends without television came over to watch with me and the three of us just sat and watched in utter disbelief all day. I had coincidentally kept my 6 year old daughter home from school that day so I tried to keep her busy and gave her extra hugs through out the day. She was confused of course and I don't think I've had more difficulty explaining something to her than that. It is difficult to explain the emotions we felt, though you all understand because we all felt it, but there were a lot of tears. My husband had an especially difficult time with it because his father was in the Murrah building when it was bombed in Oklahoma City (he survived but faced much survivors guilt). It was surreal and horrible and devastating yet I've never felt such solidarity with my fellow Americans as I did that day and the many long days that followed.

Last edited:

rel322

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm not sure how to write this...
I can remember exactly that I was in High School at the time. We were having a pep rally for our school's football team. And in the middle of it all, the principal came out and stopped it. (sorry have to pause, tearing up) He made a simple statement that the US had been attacked and that one of the towers of the world trade center had been hit. I went to a public high school where there was at least a fight a week between clicks or ethnicities, but all I can remember is the silence that fell into that gymnasium. In a moment the whole school was transformed, we no longer were minorities or small groups, we realized we were a bunch of kids who had no idea what to do. At this point the principal directed us to go to our homerooms and our teachers would take over. By the time I got to my homeroom the second tower had been hit and all of us in my homeroom were in shock. We spent the rest of the day fixed to the tv in the classrooms, and attempted to (pause again, sorry) comfort those who had family and friends in NY, especially those who (sorry) had family who worked in the towers, and those who were firefighters. I have to stop now, sorry but if I continue I'll wake my wife up.

I just want to say thank you, everyone. The paramedics, the policemen, the firefighters, the first responders, the army, navy, airforce, marines, seals, everyone. I'm sorry I'm not so versed in the workings of the branches of the military. But thank you, I attempt to thank everyone in uniform when I see them. (except cops when they're writing me up :)) So for those who were born post 9/11 please thank those who put there lives on the line, including your local law enforcement, when ever you get the chance.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
I was blocks away from the Murrah builing when it went up....the blast was still enough to throw us to the ground. (I left OK shortly after that) This was not my first time seeing explosions, but hopefully the last.

I remember my brother waking me up, telling me that the first building was hit...turning on the second tv when the phone rang...my boss was calling and telling me not to come in to work. I was in Denver at the time, and worked a couple blocks from the WTC there. Turned the second TV so we could see them both, and the second tower got hit. I was shocked beyond belief...scary times. I still get shivers when I think about it.

I was 17 and homeschooling. My mom was home from work, letting me sleep in. She came and woke me up after the first plane hit and we were sitting on the couch, silently crying and drinking bitter coffee as the second plane hit. I ended up camping in the living room for three days, glued to the t.v. It stayed on, and I slept in a red sleeping bag on the floor with my old bassett hound. It was the first time I'd felt really scared about something beyond my own little world.
Later, my friends joined the military. My friend Sean was fighting in Afghanistan when I got a phone call at 3 AM telling me he'd been hurt and I needed to get up to Walter Reed as fast as I could. Sean had been hit by a Humvee during a combat situation, and his clothes had caught, and he had been dragged. Sean is home and after two years and so many surgeries he's able to walk, but he isn't the same guy. Not even remotely.
My husband is deploying next year. We're trying to get our 4 year old prepared for it, but he just got back from 2 weeks of training, the whole time he was gone she asked every day when she would get to see him again. I'm terrified. And I fee like we as a country never really bounced back from what happened. We lost a lot of who we are as a people. And no matter how hard y husband fights, I don't think any soldier can bring that back to us.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Just an update.....the Halligan will be released this week. So I will be ending the contest on Wensday night and drawing the winners. Because there has been such a great response and so many entries I will be drawing 3 winners for a Halligan Kit, one five pack....and a surprise. :)

Thank you ALL for the genuine and heartfelt entries.....many people have been moved by the posts here.

btw.....here is the charity that Daniel and SmokeStik will be donating profits from the Halligan to:

FealGood Foundation - Helping the Heroes of the 9/11 First Responders

FGF_Gala_poster_thumb.jpg

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
I just read and re-read some of these -- the older I get its amazing how much of this seems still so vivid, how much of the pain still resonates for so many. Jon Stewart has done show after show on the horrors that they witnessed and the health problems that have resulted; funny, a comedy show seems to do more than congress....:(

Thanks for this, lorikay (and the link).:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread