vaping and anti depressants

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Not a definitive expert, but if you are or were smoking or using tobacco before beginning vaping without any adverse affects from the nicotine in tobacco, I do not see why it would be any different with vaping. However you might search on studies of effects/counter-effects tobacco or nicotine use pertaining to your specific medications would shed more light on if vaping nicotine will do the same.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Tobacco contains nicotine, which is an alkaloid.
But there are other alkaloids in tobacco (harman and norharman) which are MAOIs.

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tobacco smoke contains anabasine, anatabine, and nornicotine. It also contains the monoamine oxidase inhibitors harman and norharman.[57] These beta-carboline compounds significantly decrease MAO activity in smokers.[57][58] MAO enzymes break down monoaminergic neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It is thought that a powerful interaction between the MAOIs and nicotine is responsible for most of the addictive properties of tobacco smoking.[59] The addition of five minor tobacco alkaloids increases nicotine-induced hyperactivity, sensitization and intravenous self-administration in rats.[60]

There is a definite possibility that vaping and smoking could provide different results.
Talk to your doctor.
:)

Sanctuary Denied

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
I take Lyrica and Cymbalta, one of the two is an antidepressant (I don't remember which). Both are a nerve blocker for a spinal injury I sustained in a forklift accident a few years back.
I haven't noticed any adversed affects due to vaping, but I suppose everyone is different and I would think it could be possible.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
Speak to your doctor to see if there are any known interactions.

However, from my own experience, you are the one who lives in your body, and knows it best. I have been prescribed several medications that seemed as if they would work for me; however, the instructions I received were to take a certain amount for a certain time, then increase the dosage. There went any progress. The increased dosage just made things worse. I did not last a week on a different medication, at least on the dosage prescribed. I have a tendency toward Restless Legs Syndrome anyway, and I know what is going on when I start having problems. Within a couple of days of starting one particular medication, I started having problems. I stuck it out for around a week - 3 to 4 days out of the 7 I kept trying, I was up most of the night with RLS symptoms. The prescriber told me that they had never heard that complaint associated with that medication, but when I told her that I was not going to continue with that medication, no matter what, she decided to try another medication.

Bottom line, for me, is that your doctor has the education to try to help you, but you are the one who needs to try to help yourself by monitoring your reactions and knowing your own body. My daughter gets severely depressed when she is prescribed certain medications. Rather than argue with doctors who say they have never heard of this type of reaction, we just tell them that she is allergic - no arguments, they prescribe something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread