Vaping and Oral Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I last posted here but I think this topic is quite interesting and important so I thought I would post about it.

It's about vaping and oral health. Looks like PG degrades into nasty acids and stuff that are bad for out teeth and gums. VG also degrades into some not-so-good stuff but is not as bad as PG, but instead when you combine VG with sweet flavors in makes it so bacteria sticks more to your teeth and cavities because of the film it creates.

Now in my own experience I can tell you that when I used to MTL vape 50/50 eliquids my gums bled way too much, and I could feel them irritated and very inflammated.

I know no one wants to hear that their hobby is not that healthy but I think it's important to know the truth about what one is doing, specially if it concerns ones own health.

Here is a long study about PG and VG degradation study in PDF form: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2_IIk2AQx5LdyMrpYS8GYt

And here is an article with sources at the botton: https://www.perioimplantadvisory.co...ping-and-oral-health-its-worse-than-you-think

I've also noticed how many vaping reviewers and normal vapers have awful teeth and gum health, I just don't want peoples mouth to get f'd up without them knowing what vaping can potentially do to their oral health. It seems that VG is way safer for oral health than PG so there is that.

Thanks for reading.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thank you for the warning but I do not have any teeth.

I scrub my gum and titanium denture inplants with bleach twice a day (dentist advised, it stopped the gum infections COLD and I actually LIKE the taste, now) and so I'm not afeard of a little VG/PG sorry.

Don't scrub yo TEETH w/bleach if anyone is wondering it will discolor them.

Anna

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
My wife has had a history of receding gums and fillings at the gum line that won't stay in. Since she started vaping nearly nine years ago no new cavities and her dentist says her gums are in good shape. It's hard to see how vaping has caused any harm and the antimicrobial properties of the 2/3 PG mix we use seem to be helpful to oral health in our case. We discussed this with our dentist five years ago and they came back after looking into it and they thought it might be beneficial and to keep doing what we're doing.

It may be that oral health simply improves when one stops smoking. Vaping may mot make much difference but not smoking certainly helps.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
3x5nqw.jpg

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Now in my own experience I can tell you that when I used to MTL vape 50/50 eliquids my gums bled way too much, and I could feel them irritated and very inflammated.

There is a solution. It's called mouthwash, brushing and flossing. I have been vaping for 7 years and my dentist says I have healthy teeth and gums. Not to mention I have had zero cavities in that 7 years. If your gums are bleeding you are probably not brushing twice a day and flossing and/or using mouthwash.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
And, I wonder why that famous oral rinse BIOTENE is 98% PG ! ! ! !

Sure wish you had any idea
You don't vape mouthwash, read my post, PG degrades at high temperature.

VG and PG (PEG-12) are in toothpaste.

What's in toothpaste?

From what you linked:

Propylene glycol is a small organic alcohol commonly used as a skin conditioning agent and in toothpaste as a humectant. It has been associated with irritant and allergic contact dermatitis as well as contact urticaria (hives) in humans; these sensitization effects can be manifested at propylene glycol concentrations as low as 2 percent.

And again you don't vape the PG in toothpaste, and it's in very small concentrations.

My wife has had a history of receding gums and fillings at the gum line that won't stay in. Since she started vaping nearly nine years ago no new cavities and her dentist says her gums are in good shape. It's hard to see how vaping has caused any harm and the antimicrobial properties of the 2/3 PG mix we use seem to be helpful to oral health in our case. We discussed this with our dentist five years ago and they came back after looking into it and they thought it might be beneficial and to keep doing what we're doing.

It may be that oral health simply improves when one stops smoking. Vaping may mot make much difference but not smoking certainly helps.

Glad your wife doesn't have any problem vaping PG.
There is a solution. It's called mouthwash, brushing and flossing. I have been vaping for 7 years and my dentist says I have healthy teeth and gums. Not to mention I have had zero cavities in that 7 years. If your gums are bleeding you are probably not brushing twice a day and flossing and/or using mouthwash.
Moved from General Vaping Discussion to Health, Safety and Vaping.

Ever hear of brushing and flossing your teeth ?

If your gums are bleeding you probably have periodontal disease - which is NOT vaping related.

I do keep a good oral hygiene, and my gums are fine now. All I'm saying is that there is evidence that vaping might be bad for oral hygiene for the reasons I already stated. I don't get why you all making fun of my post or saying I must have bad oral hygiene, I'm just trying to be informative, and I'm showing evidence. I see no benefit in always disgregarding vaping ever being bad, calling it propaganda or something like that. Also there are other posts pointing out feelings of discomfort in their gums when vaping. It's always oh your gums bleed after you stop smoking, oh drink more water, etc.

Like cigarette smoking, vaping increases the risk of a gum problem, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's what caused it.

For sure. I had a much better oral health while smoking than when vaping.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    You don't vape mouthwash, read my post, PG degrades at high temperature.

From what you linked:

Propylene glycol is a small organic alcohol commonly used as a skin conditioning agent and in toothpaste as a humectant. It has been associated with irritant and allergic contact dermatitis as well as contact urticaria (hives) in humans; these sensitization effects can be manifested at propylene glycol concentrations as low as 2 percent.

And again you don't vape the PG in toothpaste, and it's in very small concentrations.

Glad your wife doesn't have any problem vaping PG.

I do keep a good oral hygiene, and my gums are fine now. All I'm saying is that there is evidence that vaping might be bad for oral hygiene for the reasons I already stated. I don't get why you all making fun of my post or saying I must have bad oral hygiene, I'm just trying to be informative, and I'm showing evidence. I see no benefit in always disgregarding vaping ever being bad, calling it propaganda or something like that. Also there are other posts pointing out feelings of discomfort in their gums when vaping. It's always oh your gums bleed after you stop smoking, oh drink more water, etc.

For sure. I had a much better oral health while smoking than when vaping.
    My evidence is what MY dentist and hygienist tell me from looking at the results of vaping for 6+ years.
    At your young age, you should stop vaping if you are concerned. You need to keep your teeth and gums in good shape for many years.
    Which vape reviewers have "awful teeth and gum health"?

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

I wasn't making fun of your post. You basically said that vaping made your gums bleed. After 7 years of vaping neither me nor my wife have had any negative oral issues. So I suggested other ways to correct the issue. You did not mention that the issue ha already been corrected.

As to the drink more water suggestion given by many, my dentist has told me that if you sleep with sinus congestion that causes you to breath through your mouth, that the dryness can cause issues. So I guess if vaping gives you dry mouth it could cause similar issues, but then the drink more water advice is exactly the correct answer.

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hello everyone,

Been a while since I last posted here but I think this topic is quite interesting and important so I thought I would post about it.

It's about vaping and oral health. Looks like PG degrades into nasty acids and stuff that are bad for out teeth and gums. VG also degrades into some not-so-good stuff but is not as bad as PG, but instead when you combine VG with sweet flavors in makes it so bacteria sticks more to your teeth and cavities because of the film it creates.

I know no one wants to hear that their hobby is not that healthy but I think it's important to know the truth about what one is doing, specially if it concerns ones own health.

Here is a long study about PG and VG degradation study in PDF form: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4091&context=open_access_etds&ved=2ahUKEwj01KP6i_LoAhVZ8uAKHbfLC9sQFjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2_IIk2AQx5LdyMrpYS8GYt

And here is an article with sources at the botton: https://www.perioimplantadvisory.co...ping-and-oral-health-its-worse-than-you-think

I've also noticed how many vaping reviewers and normal vapers have awful teeth and gum health, I just don't want peoples mouth to get f'd up without them knowing what vaping can potentially do to their oral health. It seems that VG is way safer for oral health than PG so there is that.

Thanks for reading.
    Hi mate,
    The first study linked is A) out of date - Equipment used is from 2014-2015.
    B) shown to be flawed based upon the testing methodology. (intentionally simulating extreme conditions that are outside the scope of "typical" use.)

The second study concludes:

Take care of your teeth, you will miss them when they are gone.

Cheers
    I

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread