Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I'm sorry but did just say you smoked 30+ packs a day? PAD means packs a day in this context. That's like 600 cigarettes every day. Hell, I used to smoke 20 packs a day, but after I lost one of my lungs, I cut my smoking in half.
You missed the correction... 30+ years at one pack a day.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'm sorry but did just say you smoked 30+ packs a day? PAD means packs a day in this context. That's like 600 cigarettes every day. Hell, I used to smoke 20 packs a day, but after I lost one of my lungs, I cut my smoking in half.

He corrected it in a later post. 30+ years PAD smoker.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Let me know how long you’ve been vaping, and what life improvements have you seen as a result of it.

I've been vaping for nearly 10 years, and it helped me stop smoking completely after about 6 weeks of dual use, both cigarettes and vaping. I had my last cigarette with morning coffee on the Saturday after Thanksgiving 2012.

There is that old saying that when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. I really wanted to stop smoking. I'd tried the nic gum without success, and cold turkey didn't work, though I did quit while in college, cold turkey, but it lasted for two years before I resumed smoking, which shows the level of entrenchment of that addiction. I knew someone who died in her sleep while taking Chantix, so I wasn't interested in trying the pharma approach.

So in 2012 I'd done a visualization that was offered to me by a friend who is an interfaith minister, something like this: Picture yourself seated comfortably before a fire. Your eyes are covered by a blindfold, your hands tied with velvet cords. These bindings represent your voluntary enslavement. The warm fire symbolizes both your determination, and your peace. In this moment you are choosing to become free, in control of your life, your habits and your urges. As the feeling of your freedom and your own self empowerment begins to expand, the blindfold drops from your eyes. You look around and see the signs of your freedom, ashtrays gone, cigarettes gone, your friends and family smiling at you across the crackling fire, congratulating you for choosing to free yourself. Their loving support expands your own will to be free, and the velvet cords loosen around your wrists and fall away, unbinding your hands, unbinding your soul. Now imagine that you rise from your place by the fire, a new nonsmoker.

A very short time after that, I was visited by old friends out of town. They were about to celebrate one year free of cigarettes because of vaping. They let me try their vapes and offered to buy me a starter kit. I didn't want them to spend on me in case I should fail, so I declined the starter kit. After they left, I hunted YouTube videos about vaping. I enjoy passive video learning. The presenters were all so positive and helpful, about the ins and outs of equipment, liquids, finding, buying, usage, storage and care, transport, and ALL about being free from cigarettes.

I ordered a starter kit and began experimenting while still smoking. My friends' counsel was to put no pressure on myself, but just to experiment, try flavors and have fun. I took their advice. After about six weeks, I realized not only that I liked vaping far more than smoking, but that I really couldn't afford both habits, so I chose a day to have a last cigarette. I'd be lying if I said it was an easy day. All day while I vaped like mad, there was an angel on one shoulder saying "keep going, you're doing great, almost there, almost free", and a demon on the other shoulder saying "nobody is forcing you to stop, have a cigarette if you want one, try again tomorrow". I persevered.

The next day I awoke as a new, forever nonsmoker, and have not wanted a cigarette from that day to this. Again, that was November 2012. I didn't gain weight from stopping cigarettes by vaping, but I'd never been happy with my weight and eating habits. In 2018 I realized that if I'd gotten free of cigarettes, I could get free of the overeating demon too. Once again, YouTube helped, where I followed a presenter who had her viewers with her on her weight loss journey, who made it fun and interesting to create recipes, eating tricks and tips, little helpful secrets, mild workout sessions, long walks. I guess things happen to me in November around my birthday. One door opened to another door that opened to a gate, where an old rusty lock dropped off, opening onto a beautiful valley of hope and joy. I made improvements, got more active, lost weight, have kept it off, took a hiking trip in Europe in late 2019.

Does that help with your research?

I always write too much.

mwahle1

ECF Veteran
    Nov 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL. USA
    Smoked three packs a day for over 20 years; quit about 12 years ago by use of vaping. Been chain vaping ever since. I always worked out with weights but over the past 10 years or so I have been doing a ton of cardio (jump roping and biking mainly) which I could never do while I was a smoker. My lungs feel infinitely better now compared to when I smoked. Would they even feel better if I did not vape? I would say almost for certainty; but overall my lung improvement has been remarkable.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I think I was 9 when I first smoked .... maybe 8 , but somewhere around then. I still can't believe that my dad didn't miss the pack that my brother & I swiped from his carton every day. But, maybe that's why he just sat the carton on top of the fridge. So I smoked from then until the ripe young age of 68. I'm 80 now and still kicking thanks to vaping flavored e-cigs.

kristin

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    casaa.org
    Life changing! And why don’t we see commercials like this from CASAA for a campaign of harm reduction for vaping?
    CASAA has the Testimonials featured on its website: https://casaa.org/_testimonials/ and has also partnered with CAPHRA (RighttoVape.org) to collect and share vapers' stories. They also share the testimonial videos from the Golden Oldies Tour and individual videos on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1WEk-Jinopdct_-D7_4rFfOe1khLnfq8

As far as TV commercials, there just isn't the funding for it. The anti-vaping orgs have million-dollar budgets for advertising. Just one of their campaign commercials airing on national TV costs more than CASAA gets in a whole year of donations. (Side note, the ANTZ are also allowed to advertise on Facebook and promote their posts, but CASAA gets rejected every time. Not only that, but FB has blocked the Right to Vape website and CASAA's original testimonials page links. CASAA had to create a new testimonials page to get around that. So even internet advertising is made nearly impossible for vaping advocates. It's ridiculous.)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Side note, the ANTZ are also allowed to advertise on Facebook and promote their posts, but CASAA gets rejected every time.

I have a really hard time believing that*
    *Green text = sarcasm on ECF, in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    It'll be 10 years for me in less than a month, and the benefits are too long to list. I was 30-40 smokes per day. For starters and most beneficial, my arteries cleared and they never did cut off any limbs. It was a close call back in 2011 though. VERY close.

I vape a lot with no plans to cut down or quit. 9-12 watts, 15-18mg strength, 65% PG.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    CASAA has the Testimonials featured on its website: https://casaa.org/_testimonials/ and has also partnered with CAPHRA (RighttoVape.org) to collect and share vapers' stories. They also share the testimonial videos from the Golden Oldies Tour and individual videos on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1WEk-Jinopdct_-D7_4rFfOe1khLnfq8

As far as TV commercials, there just isn't the funding for it. The anti-vaping orgs have million-dollar budgets for advertising. Just one of their campaign commercials airing on national TV costs more than CASAA gets in a whole year of donations. (Side note, the ANTZ are also allowed to advertise on Facebook and promote their posts, but CASAA gets rejected every time. Not only that, but FB has blocked the Right to Vape website and CASAA's original testimonials page links. CASAA had to create a new testimonials page to get around that. So even internet advertising is made nearly impossible for vaping advocates. It's ridiculous.)

I have a really hard time believing that*

*Green text = sarcasm on ECF, in case you didn't know.

Is "hate" too strong of a word to use?

I think not.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    It's ridiculous.
    I wanted to click the Like Agree Winner Informative and Creative icons for your post Kristin, so this reply is to convey all those 'reactions'.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston

oh I remember I took part of one of those “Reviews”. I believe under 2500 people even took it. But then I don’t think the majority of vapers know about different vape forums let alone new laws and regulations. I thank god I started rebuilding my own atomizers and mixing my own juice 4 years ago.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread