Vaping gave me Eosinophilic Pneumonia, and I DONT use THC of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Under the current death sentence for ecigs in the US I think many of us have grown defensive about what has worked so well for us. I've always thought that vaping isn't for everyone but is great for most smokers. Some can't handle certain flavors, some can't tolerate PG, etc. but the overall health benefit has been great. Most can adjust their mix or power to get a good result.

Of the many thousands of people who have participated on ECF, only a handful had any serious consequences that I'm aware of. Imagine if this was a Chantix, Zyban or nicotine patch forum. Suicidal thoughts, mental health issues and skin problems would be just a normal day on those forums.

I'm sorry for the few who have had issues and once again suggest that they just puff without inhaling. They can choose to leave their lungs out of the equation. Unflavored liquid can be used if there are flavoring issues. At least one can compromise and stay off smokes without the insanity of Chantix or other expensive ineffective choices. Ecigs have given us control of exactly how we use them to stay off the smokes and we can adjust to our needs or limitations.

I can accept that vaping isn't for everyone but believe it has the highest rate of success with the least harm of all smoking alternatives. Not a perfect solution but a choice that is being taken away.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Under the current death sentence for ecigs in the US I think many of us have grown defensive about what has worked so well for us. I've always thought that vaping isn't for everyone but is great for most smokers. Some can't handle certain flavors, some can't tolerate PG, etc. but the overall health benefit has been great. Most can adjust their mix or power to get a good result.

Of the many thousands of people who have participated on ECF, only a handful had any serious consequences that I'm aware of. Imagine if this was a Chantix, Zyban or nicotine patch forum. Suicidal thoughts, mental health issues and skin problems would be just a normal day on those forums.

I'm sorry for the few who have had issues and once again suggest that they just puff without inhaling. They can choose to leave their lungs out of the equation. Unflavored liquid can be used if there are flavoring issues. At least one can compromise and stay off smokes without the insanity of Chantix or other expensive ineffective choices. Ecigs have given us control of exactly how we use them to stay off the smokes and we can adjust to our needs or limitations.

I can accept that vaping isn't for everyone but believe it has the highest rate of success with the least harm of all smoking alternatives. Not a perfect solution but a choice that is being taken away.

You know I didnt think giving up cigarettes was that hard. I don't understand why you would anything nicotine unless it was beneficial to you in some way. There are a lot of ways now to use nicotine or tobacco without putting it in your lungs. Its beneficial to me so i will continue to use it and enjoy those effects.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Just want to say thanks for continued posting even when there are so many differing opinions. I wish you the best with the medical issues.

Based on your info, I have ordered an o2 meter. I am not blaming vaping (probably my age) but I am having increasing sleep apnea so I want to check readings to have more info before I start with docs and tests.

I know many didn't believe me early on about my inability to use some rda's and rba's without coughing my head off. I never figured out the cause, probably the wicking material. I also can't do high watts without coughing like crazy. I also coughed like mad when I smoked so it has to be an issue with me, my lungs or whatever. I guess I am saying a lot might depend on the individual. I am very pro vaping and grateful for it to stop smoking.

One question for you, not an attack in any way, but I think you said you still hit your wife's ecig occasionally. So your wife still vapes? If so, what is her take on all this and how it relates to her vaping?

Thanks @440BB for the reminder. I am trying hard to stop inhaling but it is very hard.
You may also need a CPAP machine. My sister has sleep apnea and has started to use a CPAP machine when she sleeps. She has NEVER smoked or vaped.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    You may also need a CPAP machine. My sister has sleep apnea and has started to use a CPAP machine when she sleeps. She has NEVER smoked or vaped.
    I know but I can't stand anything covering my face in any form so I am reluctant.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    While I must say your takeaway message: If you are having problems with vaping, stop doing it, It is so commonsensical I do wonder why you created an account just to post it.

Quite frankly, while I certainly have no idea if your malady was caused by vaping, caused by cigarette use followed by vaping, or something else entirely I do hope you feel better soon and get the treatment you need.

I will concur with folks saying if you are THAT sick, a return to cigarette use is probably not advisable. Try snus perhaps.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and I hope you do recover. If this is indeed a vape related illness it appears it would be quite rare, but it never hurts to have advance warning.

I would think "if vaping is not good, stop vaping" has been said by many people on the site at different times to various struggles until they can consult their doctor.

The old adage: "I told my doctor my elbow hurts when I bend it and he said to stop doing that" most certainly has merit. Really, if something is injuring you, you STOP.

Ah well. I wish you all the best is all I can say and I hope your treatment goes smoothly and I am not a doctor however I will say, smoking is never good and if you have lung issues, you may be making things worse and confounding the issue. I'm a bit hesitant to attribute vaping as a cause since you smoked before and are now doing so again, (or at least a sole cause) but if it is vaping for you, I am very, very sorry to hear it.

I believe I will continue to take my chances--- unless vaping causes me PAIN at which point I will stop and see my doctor.

Anna

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2009
    Jo'burg, South Africa
    I quit smoking via vaping and will have been vaping for 10 years come end October. I quit, using one of the early, now-obsolete, pen-style devises. Content with pen-style mtl vaping, I'm now using the simple pen-style JustFog 14 with no apparent health issues, apart from a lot of morning phlegm. (I have a rare Zenckers Diverticulum; pouch that forms on the side of the throat due to weakness between rings, cause unknown, and that holds a lot of phlegm, needing clearing out in the mornings.)

However, I wondered about being left behind with the big shift towards cloud-chasing rigs, to the extent that I sometimes battle to get my simple equipment nowadays. Anyway, to satisfy my FOMO (fear of missing out), I bought an I-Stick, Melo III tank, low Nic juice and some sub-ohm coils to try.

Only took a couple of weeks to realise this rig was taking me downhill fast; chest tightening, big increase in shortness of breath, waking up choking and gasping during the night, lack of energy, dropping off to sleep during the day and various other minor changes.

Maybe I'll end up at the same point healthwise by continuing with my mild mtl vaping, but I believe sub-ohm dl vaping would kill me a LOT quicker!

jamie

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    Quick update, I quit smoking with Nicotine-Extract Pouches and Snus Pouches.
    I'm familiar with Snus but have never heard of those pouches (that jargon) before. Am interested in what they are and how they compare with Snus. Info here or via PM and/or other refs. would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: stols001

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm familiar with Snus but have never heard of those pouches (that jargon) before. Am interested in what they are and how they compare with Snus. Info here or via PM and/or other refs. would be much appreciated. Thank you.

No tobacco, just nicotine/salt and plant matter, flavors etc in a little bag (pouch).

Buy NICOTINE POUCHES online – Northerner.com

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto
    This is all strange. I havent posted in forever on here, but doenst mean that I dont come on and check from time to time, especially now with all this recent stuff regarding all the sicknesses and few deaths that have popped up.

I dont know what to make of all this.

Now Ive been vaping for about 6-7 years I think. (steadily 5 for sure). I cant stay its always been problem free, have had periods of heart palps, or a bout of Shortness of breath to dizziness. All cases I could point to a cause. To high a nic strength or been hitting the vape to much in one sitting without realizing it. I tried to regulate it more and droppped down to 3mg and its been decent....then all this crap hits, and now more recently this pops up: E-cigarette 'smoke' gave nearly one in four mice lung cancer | Daily Mail Online

Ok ^ that sounds scary right? But I just dont know what to believe any more as we are in such an opprotunist society now and people are always ready to pounce and big nicotine companys are probably salivating at that. So Im looking for the more senior and knowledgable members to comment on the above link that have seem to be surfacing within the last 24-48 hours on this one.

There also seems that more people are poping in here saying other stuff that their lung have collapsed recently or now all of a suddent after 5 years of vaping, "x" is happneing now. Totally freaking me out. As it turns out being in my mid 40's and having yong children, I always knew I wanted to stop smoking, and I did by switching to vaping, and all this time with something always in the back of my head is this worse, or just slightly less? Seems to be hitting people a lot more quick, but then WAY to many variables here to keep track of. PG/VG and ratio of, any flavorings, high/low wattage, whole tobaco alkaloids, nic salts (which are new to me and Im like WTF is a nic salt??)

Remember when this was simple? Pen styled 510 thread cigarette looking vapes? I honestly think now it is unsafe as I just dont know anymore there are to many variables. I still have some belief that if you just did a simple PG/VG ratio without any other weirdness added to it like alkaloids or salts (can someone explain that to me anyway lol) this is PROBABLY safer than cigarettes. But more importantly these (sorry) obnoxious cloud chasers. When we smoked cigarettes, it was never about clouds! Inhaling and exhaling that amount of vape just cant be good for the lungs, just my opinion here.

Trying to keep anxiety in check here, but I have decided to TRY and stop vaping cause I just dont know. Im going on 24 hours so far without taking a puff (oh and Im stuggling here). Other vetrans, whats your take on all this madness??

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London
    Most people who consider vaping very safe would be idiots. Nobody can predict the effects of vaping on an individual basis, regardless of how many people vape or for how long. Especially considering most of us did not begin with fresh lungs after many years of smoking.

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto
    I agree with that. But I remember when we first made the swtich to vaping. So I joined in 2010 here to ECF. Back then there wasnt a whole lot of options for gear. 510 threads and the other which escapses me know (they had pre filled cartomizers). There was no variable watts or voltage. The flavors were basic. I dont remember hearing of much back then, and here in the forums. Most complaints were dizziness, heart palpitations and some shortness of breath. It just sucks cause now media is involved and just how much of this stuff is fabricated to absolute truth? I mean I always look to the the UK to hear what they say about vaping as like the whole country has switched it seems....

Right now I am definely fidgety....wonder how this is gonna feel comapred to quitting cigarettes. I almost feel lonely, its weird. Im so used to seeing my device on my desk. Ive put everything in one spot a bit out of the way. If I cave, Id rather cave to vape over cigarette anyday, but now Im curious to see how I can do here.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 10, 2014
    New Mexico
    While I must say your takeaway message: If you are having problems with vaping, stop doing it, It is so commonsensical I do wonder why you created an account just to post it.

Quite frankly, while I certainly have no idea if your malady was caused by vaping, caused by cigarette use followed by vaping, or something else entirely I do hope you feel better soon and get the treatment you need.

I will concur with folks saying if you are THAT sick, a return to cigarette use is probably not advisable. Try snus perhaps.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and I hope you do recover. If this is indeed a vape related illness it appears it would be quite rare, but it never hurts to have advance warning.

I would think "if vaping is not good, stop vaping" has been said by many people on the site at different times to various struggles until they can consult their doctor.

The old adage: "I told my doctor my elbow hurts when I bend it and he said to stop doing that" most certainly has merit. Really, if something is injuring you, you STOP.

Ah well. I wish you all the best is all I can say and I hope your treatment goes smoothly and I am not a doctor however I will say, smoking is never good and if you have lung issues, you may be making things worse and confounding the issue. I'm a bit hesitant to attribute vaping as a cause since you smoked before and are now doing so again, (or at least a sole cause) but if it is vaping for you, I am very, very sorry to hear it.

I believe I will continue to take my chances--- unless vaping causes me PAIN at which point I will stop and see my doctor.

Anna
    I didn't create an account to post this, I have been a member 3 years longer then you and 5 years in total... I was very active here a few years ago and lurked it since occasionally. The date of signup is below everyone's avatar. There are a lot of parts of your post I answered already or went over in the thread. I am not smoking anymore, I moved to snus then nicotine pouches. When I stopped vaping, I got better and there is a lot more to the story if you read the entire thread.

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 10, 2014
    New Mexico
    This is all strange. I havent posted in forever on here, but doenst mean that I dont come on and check from time to time, especially now with all this recent stuff regarding all the sicknesses and few deaths that have popped up.

Now Ive been vaping for about 6-7 years I think. (steadily 5 for sure). I cant stay its always been problem free, have had periods of heart palps, or a bout of Shortness of breath to dizziness. All cases I could point to a cause. To high a nic strength or been hitting the vape to much in one sitting without realizing it. I tried to regulate it more and droppped down to 3mg and its been decent....then all this crap hits, and now more recently this pops up: E-cigarette 'smoke' gave nearly one in four mice lung cancer | Daily Mail Online

Ok ^ that sounds scary right? But I just dont know what to believe any more as we are in such an opprotunist society now and people are always ready to pounce and big nicotine companys are probably salivating at that. So Im looking for the more senior and knowledgable members to comment on the above link that have seem to be surfacing within the last 24-48 hours on this one.

There also seems that more people are poping in here saying other stuff that their lung have collapsed recently or now all of a suddent after 5 years of vaping, "x" is happneing now. Totally freaking me out. As it turns out being in my mid 40's and having yong children, I always knew I wanted to stop smoking, and I did by switching to vaping, and all this time with something always in the back of my head is this worse, or just slightly less? Seems to be hitting people a lot more quick, but then WAY to many variables here to keep track of. PG/VG and ratio of, any flavorings, high/low wattage, whole tobaco alkaloids, nic salts (which are new to me and Im like ... is a nic salt??)

Remember when this was simple? Pen styled 510 thread cigarette looking vapes? I honestly think now it is unsafe as I just dont know anymore there are to many variables. I still have some belief that if you just did a simple PG/VG ratio without any other weirdness added to it like alkaloids or salts (can someone explain that to me anyway lol) this is PROBABLY safer than cigarettes. But more importantly these (sorry) obnoxious cloud chasers. When we smoked cigarettes, it was never about clouds! Inhaling and exhaling that amount of vape just cant be good for the lungs, just my opinion here.

Trying to keep anxiety in check here, but I have decided to TRY and stop vaping cause I just dont know. Im going on 24 hours so far without taking a puff (oh and Im stuggling here). Other vetrans, whats your take on all this madness??
    Try nicotine pouches, They are like snus but they are white, they have no tobacco in them and you can dose similar to eliquid with them and wean down. I just came off vaping with smoking and smoking with nicotine pouches basically.

As for the safety, I agree the variables are out of control. At this point there is a huge amount of area's for things to go wrong and that's part of our discussion here. A lot of the more serious issues though, such as sudden death have been related to THC vaping contaminants. The issues with vaping seem to be longer term and take a lot of time before they appear, and it's not exactly clear why.

• Agree
    Reactions: Blitzdonlife

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 10, 2014
    New Mexico
    They are really good, They taste good, have no tobacco and are white so they shouldn't stain your teeth like snus might.

Here is the brand I got,

on! Berry 4 Nicotine Pouches

I also tried ZYN and DRYFT. I liked the DRYFT dragonfruit a lot, ZYN was OK but not great.

I would recommend you try a few nicotine levels, I personally like 3-4MG nicotine similar to my eliquid, anything higher starts to burn my mouth and gives me a stomach issues.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I didn't create an account to post this, I have been a member 3 years longer then you and 5 years in total... I was very active here a few years ago and lurked it since occasionally. The date of signup is below everyone's avatar. There are a lot of parts of your post I answered already or went over in the thread. I am not smoking anymore, I moved to snus then nicotine pouches. When I stopped vaping, I got better and there is a lot more to the story if you read the entire thread.

Chronic cases are not caused by one thing alone and are often seen as related to genetics.. and acute cases can usually be pointed to a either a recent change or exposure to chemicals, drugs or parasites. ( recent change such as, did you change gear prior to developing symptoms, new juice company or new flavors that perhaps caused an acute inflammatory response)

I don't think you can say "vaping" as a whole caused this, although it may be contributory to worsening symptoms. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia doesn't come on slowly.. and chronic eosinphilic pneumonia usually has more than one cause, a perfect storm of causes if you will..

Of course once you have chronic eosinophilic pneumonia you can't be vaping, whether caused by vaping or not, sucking anything into your lungs, even bothersome dust, can cause you to exacerbate and go through it all over again..

After vaping for 5 years did you say to no ill affect, then getting ill with a chronic disease doesn't mean vaping is the definite culprit, actually, I'd say is less likely to be the culprit since it didn't occur immediately after starting to vape - that's when allergic reactions and acute responses are seen..

Last edited:

Horselady154

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    United States

There also seems that more people are poping in here saying other stuff that their lung have collapsed recently or now all of a suddent after 5 years of vaping, "x" is happneing now. Totally freaking me out. As it turns out being in my mid 40's and having yong children, I always knew I wanted to stop smoking, and I did by switching to vaping, and all this time with something always in the back of my head is this worse, or just slightly less? Seems to be hitting people a lot more quick, but then WAY to many variables here to keep track of. PG/VG and ratio of, any flavorings, high/low wattage, whole tobaco alkaloids, nic salts (which are new to me and Im like ... is a nic salt??)

Before I started vaping, I was wheezing and almost coughing up a lung when I got up in the morning. I typically got bronchitis twice a year. I knew I was pushing my luck and soon I would likely be toting an oxygen tank around with me. Then I discovered vaping. It was about 8-10 years ago and what was available, lets just say, wasn't great. I didn't succeed in switching completely. Then along came the first mod, the screwdriver, made by a guy in the UK. I contacted him and bought one. Back then, getting the batteries for it, seemed like doing a drug deal. lol. I had to message a guy in China and he sent me the batteries. E-liquid came from China too. I wasn't too high on vaping stuff from China, but did it anyway. It wasn't easy, but this time I was able to completely give up cigarettes. The first thing I noticed was that I stopped wheezing. My sister no longer remarked about it when we spoke on the phone. My hacking cough also stopped. I could breathe again. I haven't had bronchitis once since I gave up combustible cigarettes and started vaping nicotine. The situation is still the same and it's been almost 10 years. I have run into one flavor that I could feel wasn't the best for me... cinnamon. So, I chunked the two bottles I bought of it. That's my story in a nutshell.

You asked how other veterans think about the current madness. I think it is a perfect example of how hysteria catches. When it's all said and done, I think we will find that this sudden onset of hospitalizations and deaths are all from badly mixed THC (basically, marijuana) and I say that for any casual readers who may not know what THC is. While I am sure there are going to be a few who have allergies to various things in nicotine vapor, I think they are few and far between. Think about it. We didn't have any of this. No mass hospitalizations. They occurred all of a sudden and all in the U.S. The couple in Canada who are recently having problems, my understanding is that they obtained their THC carts in the U.S. So this is a U.S. thing. This is so glaring to me. Whatever it is, and it seems to be caused by heating substances mixed with THC that is forming a gas that is causing lung damage.

I don't vape THC and if I did, I wouldn't be doing it now and most certainly wouldn't be getting it from some drug dealer in the back alley. This is as far away from nicotine-vaping as you can get.

So, to wrap up, I'm not a bit worried. I can breathe. I could breathe freely before the hysteria and I still can. Nothing has changed. Vaping nicotine helped me get off combustible cigarettes. And while I know it's convenient to blame whatever ills come along on vaping nicotine, I don't find it supported by facts. But, that's just me.

Last edited:

Horselady154

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    United States

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    You say yourself they don’t know what causes it. You’re right you don’t, sorry this happened to you but the cause isn’t known so leave it at that instead of demonizing vaping. This isn’t an epidemic in the community or we would know about it here so I seriously doubt vaping is the cause.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread