Vaping in the workplace. Problems. Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2012
Akron, Ohio
I work at a medium size car dealership in the Mid West. We have about 15 guys that work full time. Everyone used to smoke until I started working here. I turned a lot of the salesmen on to vaping and now 12 out of the 14 guys that smoke vape at work. For the last week or 2 things have been great no problems. Now that we have so many guys vapeing in the show room the Manager stepped in a banned vaping indoors.

No one listened after the ban went into effect. 2 days ago the manager got so mad he smashed my buddies PV on the floor in an explosive rage. (he later apologized and agreed to pay for a new one).

Yesterday he caught me and my fellow salesmen vaping in one of the new cars inside in the show room. We got in bc the windows are tinted and hoped no one would see us. (it was raining outside). Well, Manager caught us. :facepalm: He flipped a desk over and screamed at us and just literally raged for 10mins. He cussed us out and called a meeting and the next guy who gets caught vaping inside will get docked $100 out of their pay. This includes the F&I manager that vapes too.

Any suggestions on what we should do? How can they ban Vaping??

Anyone???

Sounds like your manager would seriously benefit from some anger management therapy! First of all, that is really awesome that you've gotten so many of your analogue smoking co-workers on the vape-train! Its always awesome when you can convert people. I guess if it is really such an issue, you should probably just go outside to take a vape. Being able to use my pvs indoors is one of the perks I enjoy the most about vaping, but it's not worth it to lose money, (or even worse, your job) to vape indoors.

I work in the medical field and I never vape openly when I'm in the office. I usually have one of my pvs with me at all times and "stealth vape" regularly. Sometimes having a quick vape and just not exhaling the vapor visible if people are around. If that isn't an option I go in the bathroom or somewhere behind a closed door to indulge.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I would have suggested printing out some of the information from CASAA's website and attempting to have a reasonable conversation with your manager but unfortunately blatantly breaking the rules several times has probably ruined at this point any chance, even slim, that reasonable conversation might have made a difference with your manager.

The business you work for has every right to make their own rules to allow ecigs indoors or not. You could try to speak to the manager about at least allowing an "inside vaping" area away from the showroom but I'm not sure I'd attempt that until the manager has had time to calm down at this point.

That manager needs to take some anger management classes :glare:

Last edited:

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
...Any suggestions on what we should do?
Vape outside. It sounds like it's prohibited indoors and the boss doesn't seem to like it much.

...How can they ban Vaping??

Anyone???
They can ban whatever they want to ban as long as it's not an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) issue. Smoking/vaping is not a "right" (as many seem to think) and does not fall under EEO.

The boss sounds like a raging lunatic - but that aside, it sounds like some common sense needs to prevail.

Mitch65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2012
Akron, Ohio
Actually, we do car magazines where I work and this sounds pretty typical for dealership management. :laugh: Never risk the job, follow company policies whatever they are. I am just lucky I have my own office and the owner seems pretty cool with vaping since he can't smell it.

For those that think im trolling im not. Iv seen our manager cuss salesmen out and flip over a few desks. That's just how it is. He is a great manager and helps us out tremendously. He is always motivating and helping each and every one of us. He just gets very very mad sometimes that's all. Iv seen him smash his phone too. Not a cell phone like the desk phone at his desk. Great guy just looses it relatively easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread