Vaping in the workplace. Problems. Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
3 vapors at work including me. I got the other 2 started. I said listen, Dont vape in the open. Close door, go into bathroom or hidden area. Occasionally go outside to vape. Dont be stupid, dont be obvious, dont be an .... So far so good.

A slight rearrangement of the words in bold pretty much sums it up for me.

No reason for anyone to lose their temper in the workplace or at employees that won't follow the rules, simply hand them their final paycheck.

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
How can they ban Vaping??

Anyone???

This always gets me. It's vaping. It's the same as prohibiting cell phones at work or any other rule they have. Why do so many who vape seem to think they are entitled to do so anywhere and anytime they please? Should you be allowed to vape at your child's 3rd grade play? Would you be offended if you can't vape during church service? Why be outraged at a place where they give you money in exchange for performing work?

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
You may live in a theoretical democracy, but you always work in a dictatorship... You do what is asked, or you do what is asked somewhere else. Or, you open your own place and become the dictator. It's really quite simple.
You might ask that the rules be changed, but until they are... they are still the rules.

geeve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Oklahoma
My Boss lets me vape at work at my desk.......However he said that if customer comes in to put it down till they are gone or go outside. So here is what I do...... I Vape at my desk all day unless a customer comes in, then I put it down or go outside.

Rules are rules and bills must be paid.

You could try a conversation with him about it, but it seems you shot that dog long ago. So as others have said, either quit and find a vape friendly job or follow the rules.

Geeve

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
This always gets me. It's vaping. It's the same as prohibiting cell phones at work or any other rule they have. Why do so many who vape seem to think they are entitled to do so anywhere and anytime they please? Should you be allowed to vape at your child's 3rd grade play? Would you be offended if you can't vape during church service? Why be outraged at a place where they give you money in exchange for performing work?
Because too many people consider vaping to be a "right", which it is not. A "right" is something guaranteed in the Constitution (for the U.S.), or codified somewhere in statute. You have the right not to be discriminated against because of your race, age, religion, etc.; you have the right not to incriminate yourself; you have the right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure, and so forth. You do not have the right to vape; it's a privilege and like other privileges (driving, voting, having "casual Fridays" at work, etc.), it can be modified and/or revoked at any time. Privileges can be taken away, rights can't. Self-entitled people often confuse the two.

As to the OP's question - the employer can ban vaping just like they can ban other activities which are otherwise lawful (using your cell phone for personal business, watching television, eating in view of customers, drinking alcohol in the workplace, etc.). They can't infringe upon your rights, but they can most certainly dictate what privileges you have while at work.

Last edited:

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Does he have a good reason for it? Maybe he's not well informed. What he did was justified IMO because he warned you about it. Maybe try to work something out with him. If it's not harming sales or anything in general, I don't know why it's that big of an issue.

It's a sales showroom.... Key Word - SHOW for SALES....

It's not about facts at this point, it's about perception. It might have an effect on sales if people walk in and all the sales people are standing around sucking on metal and glass tubes and giving off vapor.
And for doing it in the new car? That's just stupid.
Yeah, if it was me, you would be asking your new employer if vaping was allowed.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
If i walked into a showroom looking to buy a car, and all the sales people were gnawing on gum like cows, I'd feel the same way about a bunch of sales people vaping away like it was a massive poker game. I'd leave. It's just unprofessional, and taking issue with a "no-vaping in the showroom" mandate is juvenile. just do your job, look the part, and be respectful. It's just common courtesy. Like everyone else has said, go to the bathroom, or outside, or ask the manager if you can have a designated area indoors. Jeez. The entitlement these days...

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
sorry, I'm with everyone else,,,,,

Go outside to vape.

You used to go outside to smoke, so what's the big deal?

However, I will say,,,,,,,,,your boss sounds like a jerk,,,,,,,not for the no vaping thing,,,,,,,,,but for the screaming, yelling and taking a tantrum thing.

My 2 year old nephew has more self control.

Mitch65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2012
Akron, Ohio
We never walked around vaping in front of customers. We would Vape at our desks when it was slow and it was so nice when we were aloud. Im very happy I have gotten so many people to start vaping. I handed out a few Njoy kings and it really impressed everyone so everyone started to vape more. Its gotten to the point where ever single smoker except one, vapes either 100% or part time. With so many people doing it i guess it has become a distraction in on the sales floor.

Our manager has told us twice he is so serious about this he will watch the security cams and if he catches us its a $100 dock. Its not worth it in my book. Looks like ill be headed outside to vape.

Now im nervous to even vape in my demo he is so angry about it. i really think its not vaping he hates but the fact everyone disobeyed him on multiple occasions.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Like I stated before...

Ain't no shame vaping on the toilet! I pretend I'm a space kitty on a mission!

pew pew pew!

space-kitty-is-going-to-space.gif

Last edited:

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Sounds like you and you cohorts have problems following simple rules. I am surprised you both still have a job. If this is how you approach life and responsibility you have many challenges ahead of you. Grow up and learn to do your job and follow the simple rules. You should have learned these things at home and at school by the age of 10. Take a vape break and go outside. If you are vaping in brand new showroom cars, what else are you doing?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Does he have a good reason for it? Maybe he's not well informed. What he did was justified IMO because he warned you about it. Maybe try to work something out with him. If it's not harming sales or anything in general, I don't know why it's that big of an issue.

It looks unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread