VaporShark rDNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
That's where I ordered my Ni200 from on CM and they shipped it the next day, there was even a 25% off code.

I actually just twisted up some of the 30g and 32g earlier. Now I have several feet of 2x30g, 2x32g, and 4x32g(twisted with 2 wires and then doubled over and twisted again) to play around with when the rDNA gets here.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
That's where I ordered my Ni200 from on CM and they shipped it the next day, there was even a 25% off code.

I actually just twisted up some of the 30g and 32g earlier. Now I have several feet of 2x30g, 2x32g, and 4x32g(twisted with 2 wires and then doubled over and twisted again) to play around with when the rDNA gets here.

wish I got the nickel wire before my rdna40 arrived as well. The rave reviews this mod has gotten is well deserved. So far I have ordered some nickel wire and some more kanthal to mess around with, and am currently in search of a miniature low profile RDA to go along with my rdna :laugh:

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm thinking about picking up a black Lemo or Lemo Drop to go with it. I plan on playing around with nickel coils on my Magma so I can see what's going on without having to drain the tank, once I get it down I'll do a Ni200 build in my KFL if I don't have a Lemo yet.

Highly recommend the Lemo for the increased build deck size. A nickel build on a kayfun is a real challenge!

Good luck! The nickel builds are really fun and great vapes when you get them working well!

Bits scrambled by Tapatalk...

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Mine arrived at my PO this morning. With any luck I'll have it in my greedy lil hands this afternoon. :banana:

My nickel wire I ordered that back when the rDNA 40 went up on pre-order & everybody was selling out faster than you could say boo. Had practiced with it & got my atty prepared & ready to use for when I finally did get a Shark buuuuuuuuuut because I have so many atty's I dont remember which one was set up to go. :p

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks to all the help on this thread, I wanted to reply with my findings in the hope that they may help others get the enjoyment I'm getting out of my rDNA-40 with a nickel build!

Been running my VS rDNA-40 now for about a week using nickel builds and wanted to post back with a few tips / thoughts. I know some have had issues with nickel, and I made a few mistakes along the way too.

I am now running a Lemo Drop at 35 watts on a 28 gauge coil, wrapped around a 1/8" drill bit (around 3.175mm diameter). My coil is approximately 0.14 - 0.16 ohms. I've wicked with both Japanese cotton, as well as regular organic cotton balls and both will keep up. I have my temperature limit set anywhere from 400 - 430 degrees depending on my juice selection. With proper wicking, this build is amazing!

Observations:
  • This build hits really hard. Tons of vapor production.
  • You will go through a considerable amount of juice this way!
  • I have to be careful even with 3 or 6 mg nic in my juice. I've never gotten so much nic from a build before (though I've never used a dripper) :D
  • If your resistance is jumping around, check your connections again and again. Very critical.

Most of my issues with burnt flavor or hitting temp limit were due to wicking issues. I am coming from Kayfuns and Russians so I was used to keeping my wicking somewhat minimal. This doesn't work well on a nickel build.

My biggest issue was actually due to the larger coil diameter. I was feeding cotton through the coil, lifting the ends up and attaching the chimney and then pushing the cotton down into the juice wells. Same as always. But what I was finding was that in doing so, the cotton ended up getting pulled downward and was no longer touching the top of the coil! This was causing all sorts of weird behavior and I was hitting TP way too quickly. Pack the cotton into the coil!

On the flip side, you may need thin out the cotton going into the juice wells. Too much cotton there causes issues too (not enough juice feeding up the juice channels).

My solution is to actually use two wicks. one is shorter and just touches the walls of the chimney. The other is longer and goes into the juice wells. Feeding them both though the coil with the shorter one on top, I can fully fill the coil, yet keep the juice wells from getting too much cotton.

Hope this helps someone! I'll try to take photos next time I re-wick!

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I got VapeMail today, arrived unexpectedly at my local post office this morning. I wasn't expecting it since there had been no tracking updates since it left Miami.

IMG_20150109_104854~2.jpg

I can echo what others have said about the size, finish, and overall feel of the rDNA. Very nice, very solid.

Just got mine in today! Managed to get a nickel build working on my PlumeVeil with a bit of troubleshooting, only took one try, too! I think reading all the posts in this tread have gotten me well-prepared to build. I ended up going with a single spaced coil of 28g Ni200, 9 wraps around a 7/64 drill bit. I wrapped it fairly spaced, and then compressed it on the bit, and it sprung back out to pretty evenly spaced wraps! Since I heard a lot of problems with connectivity issues on anything but hex screws, I decided not to run it though the post holes, but instead around the screws on top. I'll admit it's not the prettiest build I've ever done, but since I've gotten it working, I've been vaping a bit, firing the wick dry, then dripping in a different juice. Never knew I'd be able to do that with such ease, without burning the wick at all! Somewhere between 450F and 480F seems to work well with my juices and rayon wick. Happy camper here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread