VaporShark rDNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Congrats!!!

2.5Ω? That sounds really high for a dripper. And it shouldn't move at all. What dripper are you using? Did you build the coil yourself or was it prebuilt?
It's a magma clone, and it came with two little pre-built pre-wicked coils. They look so small and the wire is so thin I expected it to read closer to .5 but it's really high... I have 28 gauge kanthal and some cotton on the way to build my own coils, they just aren't here yet and I got anxious to try my new setup. What do you think would cause the ohms to change? Btw, I don't have an ohm meter, I'm just reading the mod.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
It's a magma clone, and it came with two little pre-built pre-wicked coils. They look so small and the wire is so thin I expected it to read closer to .5 but it's really high... I have 28 gauge kanthal and some cotton on the way to build my own coils, they just aren't here yet and I got anxious to try my new setup. What do you think would cause the ohms to change? Btw, I don't have an ohm meter, I'm just reading the mod.
What Hdivr said.

Make sure the screws are tight on the coil leads or you'll have inconsistent readings. Once it's set, touch the coils to see if they move. If they do, reseat them. I'm gonna guess that you only used 1 coil at 2.5Ω. The rDNA is probably a more accurate ohm reader than most ohm readers.

If you're really stuck, try to find a vape shop that might help you. They might be able to build you a coil and teach you some tricks. A quick search shows a few shops SW of Detroit with good ratings.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've tightened the screws now to the point where I'm afraid I'll cut the leads if I go any tighter, and the coil doesnt move when I touch it, but it still changes the reading every time I press the fire button. Anywhere from 2.42 to 2.86 now. And yes, I've only attached one of the coils. It isnt the resistance that bothers me, it's the varying reading. Could it be a mod-to-rda connection issue? Unfortunately this rda doesn't seem to have an adjustable 510, I hope I'm not just out of luck. The thing does fire though.

Thank you for the search, KTMRider, but I actually don't have the transportation to a vape shop in my near future, so I'm stuck trying to work this out with only teh internetz. :/

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
You shouldn't need an adjustable 510 on the rda, the rDNA has a spring loaded 510 pin.

Are you in TP mode? Click fire 5x, then press UP and DOWN until you see the temp setting. Scroll up until you get to 600°F and one more turns it off. Click fire 5x to unlock and try vaping (or fire) to see if it moves.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
I suppose that functionally it doesn't affect anything, since it fires and all. I am just a bit worried that if my mod's ohm reader is malfunctioning for some reason, I may not be getting accurate readings on everything else. I've never vaped a vv mod before, or a dripper, but I'm surprised by how quickly 10w is burning my juice and drying my coil. I hope the wattage is accurate, and that it's an issue with the RDA (either by my own mistake or the maker's - I only paid $9.95 for the thing on eBay, after all). But supposedly the clone is made by sxk, which I believe own Infinite, so it's supposed to be a pretty good piece.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Bahhh... My camera can't focus well enough on something that small. I guess I'll just have to see what happens when I have what I know to be a1 kanthal and I put my own build on it. Perhaps the wire they used for this pre-built coil was made of subpar material and it doesn't transmit consistently? I don't know enough about electronics to know if that is even a thing.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
It sounds like the mod (rDNA) is working as it should. If the ohms is 2.5-2.8Ω, at 10w, you're pushing 5v. Try it at 6w or 7w. It shouldn't burn the juice as much.
I should have clarified, I am vaping at 6-8w now actually, because it doesn't give me dry/burnt hits, I just thought 10w seemed low to be too much. I have a lot to learn about the relationship between ohms, wattage, and voltage. I've been trying to get my head around it by reading for a while now, but I think some trial and error is the way to go.

If the resistance were lower, would that mean I could vape at a higher wattage without burning, because the voltage would be lower? I swear I'm not an idiot. This sort of brainwork is just not my forte; and unfortunately, neither is learning through Google searches.

Reactions: KTMRider

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
A dry hit is just not enough juice getting through the wick to the coil. To much wick doesn't let the juice get through fast enough for the draw. To little wick, well, pretty much the same thing.

Different toppers, to me, have to be used with slight differences. When I buy an RTA, I am generally expecting to get a second and they, then, go through the usage line-up together. Kinda keeps me sharp. When I build the first, I remember some innuendos. When I build the second, I may catch more and then will go back and rebuild the first. Seems to help.

I just did two KF4s last night and forgot that they seem sensitive to having to much/dense of a wick in comparison. I remembered it, but sometimes i don't.

Anyway, I rarely (very) get dry hits. I doubt that i will even go TC coiling for a good while. Cigs are zero maintenance, I am happy to raise the hood in the middle of the race and make a quick adjustment.

Tinkering is healthy and relaxing.

ahmadmfz

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
red dot
Well this is new. In my 1 year with this mod I've not gotten this warning before hahaha.

5edd2ce320480fb48d0972d3f721789a.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Reactions: YePsTeR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread