Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Does anyone know if the BF Pin from Avid will work on a Tobeco?

I've had a Ivogo clone for about a week, love it and want to order a black one which Ivogo doesn't offer with a bf pin as far as I can find.

As far as the Ivogo Clone I love it, machining is great, threads are smooth and the o-rings fit snug, maybe a little too snug for the airflow adjustment but not bad, I'd rather have it snug than loose. The BF pin was a little long but that was easy to take care of with a dremmel.

Coming from a BF Magma as my daily vape I'm finding the Velocity needs more power to shine but once you hit it the flavor is more intense and the Magma was no slouch in the flavor department. I'm running a DNA40 in TC right now and I'm on the high side or it's capability with a single coil so I doubt I'll be trying dual with it but I'm very satisfied.

I wish they would come out with a reduced chamber or a Velocity Mini which should make it a little more efficient with lower wattage.

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

AlaskaVaper

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
Cordova, Alaska

I've had a Ivogo clone for about a week, love it and want to order a black one which Ivogo doesn't offer with a bf pin as far as I can find.

As far as the Ivogo Clone I love it, machining is great, threads are smooth and the o-rings fit snug, maybe a little too snug for the airflow adjustment but not bad, I'd rather have it snug than loose. The BF pin was a little long but that was easy to take care of with a dremmel.

Coming from a BF Magma as my daily vape I'm finding the Velocity needs more power to shine but once you hit it the flavor is more intense and the Magma was no slouch in the flavor department. I'm running a DNA40 in TC right now and I'm on the high side or it's capability with a single coil so I doubt I'll be trying dual with it but I'm very satisfied.

I wish they would come out with a reduced chamber or a Velocity Mini which should make it a little more efficient with lower wattage.

AlaskaVaper

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
Cordova, Alaska
I have a couple of the Tobeco velocity clones and they work great. I guess the Ivogo ones are the only ones that include the BF replacement pins. That was disappointing as I have my first squanker box in the mail. I guess an Ivogo is in my future. I am using one velocity on a SMY Kung Fu series mod and it is hot. Another I put on an Evic TC today with TI coils and was blown away by the flavor using a juice I was familiar with and the TI produces flavor highlights that I had never experienced before. The velocity is a really great flavor atty no matter what wire you use. Just my humble opinion.
File Jul 22, 8 47 46 PM.jpeg

File Jul 22, 8 47 46 PM.jpeg

Reactions: Wruff

AlaskaVaper

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
Cordova, Alaska
How is the lead content on the clones stainless?!?
I never considered lead. The stainless seem normal to me but, I am no expert on metallurgy.They are well made and seem to be of high quality machining. Of course it is always good to wash the parts in warm soapy water to remove any residual machine oil before use even if they appear clean.

AlaskaVaper

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
Cordova, Alaska

I don't think you should have a problem with dual coils with the DNA40 as I can get very good performance with my Evic at 40 watts and 500+ temp settings.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I never considered lead. The stainless seem normal to me but, I am no expert on metallurgy.They are well made and seem to be of high quality machining. Of course it is always good to wash the parts in warm soapy water to remove any residual machine oil before use even if they appear clean.
Don't mind astrotruf, he is vehemently against clones, all of his posts regarding clones are just rhetoric.

Another update on a different clone...

The one Kindey Puncher sells is not so great either. No where near as bad as the one from str8vape, but not as good as the Tobeco. The KP clone (they wont reveal the manufacturer) is well machined, but the threads are not as tight, thus you lose a bit of the fine tuning. The drip tip threads are tighter, not as chunky as the Tobeco. Shouldn't pose a problem, just different. The "notch" to catch the top cap is square instead of a half-circle, odd and a bit harder to catch.

The biggest flaw is the inability to close off the airflow very well. I'm not sure why, but even closed completely there is still a fair amount of airflow.

The Tobeco is a true 1:1, the other 2 I have tried are not, and not as good.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Disruptive

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

Possibly the same poisoning (if that's the way you want to word it) as the original...304 stainless steel is what's listed for both.

Taking it any further without factual info is pointless and only fueled by distaste one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Just because it is a clone doesn't mean it is cheaply made. Sometimes it is so much less just because manufacturers like Tobeco have the ability to mass produce them at a significantly lower cost.

Cisco and Dino could have attempted to protect their design, it was their choice to not do it. I know it typically is not worth doing that, but this design was different enough (and good enough) that they should have gone the extra mile. I see this RDA being one that stands the test of time. Protecting it would mean they wouldn't have to to figure in clones sales to their pricing, and it would have been more reasonably priced. They know this market, they knew what would happen, and they made the decision to price the clone competition into their bottom line instead of digging in and protecting it for the long haul.

Outside of vaping, you rarely see someone design a product and put it to market without protecting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dobo

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
I received mine today and wasted no time experimenting with two different builds already. I believe it's the Tobeco clone(?) which I purchased from Vivid Smoke. The extra parts it came with were 3 o-rings, 4 hex screws, and two prebuilt spaced coils (8 wraps, 0.8ohms each, slightly larger than 3mm). It's a fine RDA and produces plenty of flavor and vapor. It offers more than enough airflow and the threading is very smooth. I didn't notice any machine oil while cleaning it. Someone here mentioned issues when closing off the airflow completely, however when I close off mine almost no air seeps though (it is tighter than an extremely tight mouth-to-lung hit for example). I prefer having the lower cyclops holes open approximately halfway and leave the upper holes closed for better flavor...the result is plentiful for unrestricted lung hits. I also use the 510 adapter since the stock tip is way too big for my preference. I'm very satisfied with it.

RD96qm0.jpg

pd0Np7W.jpg

Last edited:

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Eddiea, that is the Madaotech clone. I guess if it is the first Velocity clone you have tried, you may like it, but after having the Tobeco there is no way you would stand for the quality of that one. Luckily you got the SS one and not a painted one, so you won't have the over-spray issues. Aside from the over-spray, the o-rings (same red I have) were very weak. If you find yourself with an extra $20, get the Tobeco clone and compare the two and you will see what I mean.

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
Eddiea, that is the Madaotech clone. I guess if it is the first Velocity clone you have tried, you may like it, but after having the Tobeco there is no way you would stand for the quality of that one. Luckily you got the SS one and not a painted one, so you won't have the over-spray issues. Aside from the over-spray, the o-rings (same red I have) were very weak. If you find yourself with an extra $20, get the Tobeco clone and compare the two and you will see what I mean.
Good to know, thanks Randy. I didn't know which version it was prior to ordering it, and I agree the o-rings should be beefier and I'll probably look for better ones later. Yes SS versions are always my first choice.

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
I just got my Tobeco clone and love it. I think the quality is quite good, although I have yet to see an authentic Velocity.

My only problem is I am having trouble figure out the notch. Trying to line it up and place it in hasn't quite worked, and neither has putting it on slightly to the side, pushing it down, and turning it. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Dobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
Hi Randy,

I've ordered Velocity clone from GearBest, do you happen to know who makes it and whether it is on par with Tobeco clone?

1434655170200-P-2739082.jpg

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Hi Randy,

I've ordered Velocity clone from GearBest, do you happen to know who makes it and whether it is on par with Tobeco clone?

1434655170200-P-2739082.jpg
The is the same one (judging from the box) I just bought from Kindey Puncher. It has a squared off notch right?. It is not as bad as the Madaotech one, but not as good as the Tobeco. KP will not reveal the manufacturer of this clone, kinda weird, but I assume they may be worried about Avid Vaper. That clone is good, but like I said, mine does not close off too well and even completely shut still delivers more air flow than it should. The o-rings are definitely better than the Madaotech, almost too good in fact. You can see my others thoughts on it in my earlier post.

If you like a more open draw, and don't mind the trickier notch (could have more to do with the tight o-rings), that one isn't bad. I ordered another Tobeco from Eciggity, taking the KP one back today.

I just got my Tobeco clone and love it. I think the quality is quite good, although I have yet to see an authentic Velocity.

My only problem is I am having trouble figure out the notch. Trying to line it up and place it in hasn't quite worked, and neither has putting it on slightly to the side, pushing it down, and turning it. Anyone have any suggestions for this?
Just keep using it, you develop a knack for it. I didn't like it at first either, but once you get use to it you barely notice it.

Dobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know what you mean by squared off notch. Thanks for the reply!

The is the same one (judging from the box) I just bought from Kindey Puncher. It has a squared off notch right?. It is not as bad as the Madaotech one, but not as good as the Tobeco. KP will not reveal the manufacturer of this clone, kinda weird, but I assume they may be worried about Avid Vaper. That clone is good, but like I said, mine does not close off too well and even completely shut still delivers more air flow than it should. The o-rings are definitely better than the Madaotech, almost too good in fact. You can see my others thoughts on it in my earlier post.

If you like a more open draw, and don't mind the trickier notch (could have more to do with the tight o-rings), that one isn't bad. I ordered another Tobeco from Eciggity, taking the KP one back today.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Here are some pics of the Madaotech clone I received....

The drip tip came with the scratches already included, a bonus I guess, and you can see the white dots on the inner barrel where the outer barrel was not even removed when it was painted.

That is not lighting on the 3rd pic, the whole top of the inner barrel is white over spray, along with some in the threads for good measure.

IMG_20150725_084838800.jpg
IMG_20150725_084936889.jpg
IMG_20150725_085112684.jpg

Dobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
How does the Tobeco clone box look? Got a pic?

Here are some pics of the Madaotech clone I received....

The drip tip came with the scratches already included, a bonus I guess, and you can see the white dots on the inner barrel where the outer barrel was not even removed when it was painted.

That is not lighting on the 3rd pic, the whole top of the inner barrel is white over spray, along with some in the threads for good measure.

View attachment 475046 View attachment 475047 View attachment 475048

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread