RDA Velocity RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanmcg1

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
Garyville, La
Today is vapemail day. So, what's better than a Velocity rda?...two Velocity RDAs of course. I'm seriously enjoying the vape on my new D2 as well.

Wg2DkM8.jpg
That's awesome I still want to pick up another. What kind of build do you have in there?

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
That's awesome I still want to pick up another. What kind of build do you have in there?
I initially tried a 28g 3mm parallel build for a few hours but it was just a bit too hot for my preference so I put a 26g 3mm build on it and it's a fantastic vape. I'm in process of making some Clapton wire with 32g wrapped around 28g to play around with...it'll be my first Clapton build. I expect it will put out some serious flavor.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I believe that it favors very hot builds. Comparing an identical 0.3 ohm build with a Tugboat V2 (which has a very compact chamber) with the same airflow, the vapor production was less and thinner. I believe this is due to the size of the chamber in the Velocity which I quite large. With very hot builds and the airflow wide open, the chamber size becomes less of a factor in vapor density. Compared to the the Tugboat, the Velocity had less slightly flavor as well for the same reason (I found).
Having said that I really like the design, and I'm planning a really low build to test out it's potential sweet spot. I yet to put a clapton or a twisted nickel build in it, but I think it will shine.

Reactions: Noserenity

Noserenity

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Upstate New York
I believe that it favors very hot builds. Comparing an identical 0.3 ohm build with a Tugboat V2 (which has a very compact chamber) with the same airflow, the vapor production was less and thinner. I believe this is due to the size of the chamber in the Velocity which I quite large. With very hot builds and the airflow wide open, the chamber size becomes less of a factor in vapor density. Compared to the the Tugboat, the Velocity had less slightly flavor as well for the same reason (I found).
Having said that I really like the design, and I'm planning a really low build to test out it's potential sweet spot. I yet to put a clapton or a twisted nickel build in it, but I think it will shine.
I completely agree. I've found, for me, mid .2's to be the sweet spot for the size and air for this topper. Around 75-85 watts on a simple build and it tastes like a higher ohm at around 40 watts on a different dripper, just with lots more vapor, and the appropriate density.

Penumbra

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
Looks promising. I'm happy that there's a factory bottom feed pin. I'd love to see a mini with a little smaller diameter, reduced hight, and the secondary air removed.

yeah... i want the option for single coil as well.

I finished cleaning mine today, and did my first build.

I did a dual-5 wrap parallel with 28 gauge kanthal... came out to .4 ohms.

The think I wasnt sure about was the fact that , it has vert. slots for leads... and with a set of parallel coils that are orientated horizontally, that meant I was actually gonna have to twist the leads 90 deg to go into slot (remember, its a parallel coil, and you cant cross leads)... either way, i twisted each lead in the exact same manner, and it all worked.

I actually havent wicked it yet, but I have fired/ tweezed... so.

Its a Tobeco clone... and I am quite happy with the threads on the top-cap.. nice and smooth and fine.

Those of you savin your cash for auth, just buy a 15-20$ tobeco clone, and judge if its worth auth.

Watch Vape (or Vapor) Chronicle's review of clone and judge yo' self.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
did you hand twist that 28?.. looks looser than when I twist with a drill.

I wonder if looser twists have better taste.

That's the beauty of simple twisted coils...whether it be 2-wire, 3-wire, or whatever. You can twist variations depending on how much tension you apply while twisting. I use my Ryobi drill. The harder you pull on the wire while twisting, the farther apart the twists will be...and vice versa (lesser tension allows tighter twists but could cause inconsistencies if you're not careful). I've twisted tighter ones depending on my target ohms, number of wraps I plan to use, as well as the size of the build deck it will be used on. Tanks with smaller decks like my Goblin Mini can be a slight challenge if I want to build a twisted coil using the maximum number of wraps possible, so when I build a twisted coil for it I make sure to use a strand which was twisted very tight so I can get maximum coil surface area for that particular build. Twisting wire for a Velocity deck can be more forgiving. You know experimenting with different variations is half the fun of building coils. The one in that photo is a twist using a significant amount of tension while twisting.

LiquidDave

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2014
United States
www.liquidvpn.com
The velocity RDA is a game changer. I am in love with it. Out of the dozens of RDAs I own I am only using the Velocity and the Vicious ANT Goliath. Before I got the velocity I was purchasing 3 to 5 RDAs a week. I have not purchased an RDA in months because of the velocity. I noticed some new RDAs copying the velocity build deck which will cause me to start buying some new RDAs

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Slotted set screws are up on avid vaper. I wish I could find these for all my RDAs.

Velocity
Meh idk why people like those things at all, hex screws allow you torque down the connection very well and they don't really back out. I can't understand why people can't keep a hex key instead when they need to be out and about.

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Meh idk why people like those things at all, hex screws allow you torque down the connection very well and they don't really back out. I can't understand why people can't keep a hex key instead when they need to be out and about.

I think the issue is folks using a slightly undersized key and stripping them out (not just for the velocity).

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
Slotted set screws are up on avid vaper. I wish I could find these for all my RDAs.

Velocity

These things work a LOT better than the cup heads the clones ship with. You'll never strip the heads, can get some good torque on them, and its one less tool to worry about. They're also finished nicer on the bottoms so there's no need to sandpaper prep them to avoid cutting wire.

The only downside to the slotted Avid replacement screws is that with very fine wire (like 30awg or thinner) they may not tighten all the way down as they're about a thread length or so shorter than the originals.

No issues with 28awg or thicker, and I really don't think many velocity owners are going to be faffing about with 30awg, and if you do, it's not that hard to either "double" the leads or stick a wee bit of thicker wire in there as a spacer.

I have two clones and felt good about ordering the screws from Avid, at least I gave them a little bit of money for their excellent design. But, the cost of the two sets of screws shipped (two separate orders) was $15, more than I paid for either of my complete clone kits. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread