• Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It sounds that way. But during the period when the Indiana internet sales ban was in effect and nobody would sell you e-juice you could still buy bulk nicotine. I emailed my nic vendor and they said they weren't affected, and I ordered a liter. Don't know if nicotine would also slip by on the tax side. But it may be that they need some additional law or specific wording to include bulk nicotine. I don't know what controls that.

For vaping generally it doesn't take much to scare off vendors. There are still some vendors who won't sell juice to customers from Indiana.

Well that's very much informative.. I'm sure that will be helpful for Vermont residents to know..

As for scaring off vendors, I think that's two issues. One is its just so difficult to keep up with various state laws, and two, with the penalties for running afoul of the law being so high for a vendor, I'm sure they don't want to risk misunderstanding a new law..

It sucks, but I'm sure both of those issues make it a bigger issue..

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Banning teen possession is harmful, because it punishes the very people they're trying to protect and also takes control away from parents who may be trying vapor products as a way to help a teen who is smoking.

This idea that there is an "epidemic" is false. Only 5.76% of high school youth use vapor products on a daily basis. The number of kids using on a daily basis isn't out of line with what we could expect to initiate smoking in the absence of vapor products.

The high numbers usually reported reflect "even one puff" in the past 30 days. As with anything new, kids will try it once, especially if they don't think it's harmful. The "past 30 days" number WILL go down and, so long as kids who would otherwise be daily smoking keep gravitating to vaping, we will see the daily smoking number continue to decline and the daily vaping numbers rise. Unfortunately, the crackdown on youth vaping is already seeing the smoking decline stalling. The ANTZ would like people to believe that the stall is caused by kids vaping then smoking, but the trends simply don't support that claim. High school smoking steadily declined as vaping rose for years until 2016-2018. Additionally, smoking in the 18-24 group - who are those who would have been vaping in high school in the previous years - is also still declining and they are sticking with vaping. If vaping led to smoking, the 18-24 smoking rates should be increasing.

We are fighting a lie, so trying to "fix it" is a futile endeavor.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is really the issue I have been trying to highlight in this session of attacks on vaping from the Vermont Legislator. They have chosen once again to essentially attack personal liberty and small business in the name of a greater cause they don't understand themselves. They propose the same ineffective solutions, ignoring reality. I speak frequently with community leaders about the issue, I am interviewed by newpapers and made the enemy, I am in contact with people in the government, I am in tune to everyones opinions regarding this issue including the Federal Government and the FDA-- none of them have any idea what goes on in a teenagers head. Its delusional. Vaping for the taste? I have never once heard them talk about the real reason's teens vape. They are too scared to say "nicotine gives you a head buzz until it doesn't and you are addicted". Pretending your children are so innocent they were drawn to a label or a flavor ignores the greater issues. The consequences of this is not just the decimation of an industry and an impediment on personal liberty, but a generation of nicotine addicts who can now only afford cigarettes.

Make No Mistake About It.

The Leadership at the FDA, and the Vast Majority of Policy/Lawmakers, know Exactly what is going on. Even though their Statements/Actions may appear that they Don't.

Face it. We are a Society that Demands Action. Not so much Results. But Actions.

So when there is a Problem, and Never-Smoker Teens using e-Cigarettes is considered a problem, we want those in positions of Power to step up to the mic and Tell Us that they are going to use All Resources Possible to "Fix" the Problem.

Now... Many Times, they Can't "Fix" the problem. And they Know It. But that Isn't what the people want to hear. And it Isn't what they were Elected/Appointed to say. So they given the Speeches, and they Do the Dance that people Expect them to do. And everyone Feels Good.

I have been Following e-Cigarette Policy since 2010. And there has Never been a Level of Hysteria and Mod Mentality (as well as Political Grandstanding) as there is today. The Needle is pegged in the Red.

And the Media is Mainly responsible for it. Because for Years, they have Demonized e-Cigarettes. And have Only Reported Negative Aspects of e-Cigarette use. And have given Validation to just about Every form of Scientific Quackery and Non-Review De-Bunked Study.

So here we are. With States and the Feds losing Billions in Tax/Tobacco Settlement Revenues. But also for the 1st Time seeing Sustained Significant Reductions in Combustible Tobacco use.

In a More Perfect World, people - the media - policy makers could have a More Adult Narrative about just How Effective proposed e-Cigarette Policy would be? And what the Ramifications of such actions would have to Public Health on the Population Level.

But we in the USA Don't live that world. So we Get what we Get.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

This idea that there is an "epidemic" is false. Only 5.76% of high school youth use vapor products on a daily basis. The number of kids using on a daily basis isn't out of line with what we could expect to initiate smoking in the absence of vapor products.

But That Isn't Mentioned in the Media Outlets. Is it?

Because if it Was, it would make Statements like this from JUUL appear reasonable.

“We [JUUL] encourage the City of San Francisco to severely restrict youth access but do so in a way that preserves the opportunity to eliminate combustible cigarettes,” the company said. “This proposed legislation begs the question — why would the city be comfortable with combustible cigarettes being on shelves when we know they kill more than 480,000 Americans per year?”

'We don't want them in our city': SF officials seek Juul crackdown

• Agree
Reactions: puffon

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Most States are Reluctant to do that.

Because Politically, it is a Touchy Issue. And most States don't have enough Manpower/Resources to handle an influx in "Status Offenders".

Legislators don't care about the influx of the status offender. Once they pass the law then they have responded to the "We've gotta do something..." crowd. Kentucky has had a possession of tobacco product as a status offense for some time. Twenty-five dollar fine and the admonition "to go and sin no more". Generally the offender only got caught once, very few were there two or three times; in fact, now that I think back, I'm not certain there were any recidivists for this evil act. The question became "Did they quit?", "Did they get smarter?" or "Did school officials simply give up unless the "offender" was flagrant"?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Legislators don't care about the influx of the status offender. Once they pass the law then they have responded to the "We've gotta do something..." crowd. Kentucky has had a possession of tobacco product as a status offense for some time. Twenty-five dollar fine and the admonition "to go and sin no more". Generally the offender only got caught once, very few were there two or three times; in fact, now that I think back, I'm not certain there were any recidivists for this evil act. The question became "Did they quit?", "Did they get smarter?" or "Did school officials simply give up unless the "offender" was flagrant"?

Just say'n that most State Legislators are Very Hesitant to dip their toe in the New Juvenile Offenses pool.

• Agree
Reactions: Enso

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Has anyone asked these numbskulls what they will do when all the nicotine addicted kids start buying cigarettes to get their fix once Juul is out of their reach? Has anyone asked them how they feel about how this legislation WILL actually cause some people to die?

These are questions that need to be asked, preferably in some public setting so it can get captured on video.

• Agree

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Banning teen possession is harmful, because it punishes the very people they're trying to protect and also takes control away from parents who may be trying vapor products as a way to help a teen who is smoking.

The high numbers usually reported reflect "even one puff" in the past 30 days. As with anything new, kids will try it once, especially if they don't think it's harmful. The "past 30 days" number WILL go down and, so long as kids who would otherwise be daily smoking keep gravitating to vaping, we will see the daily smoking number continue to decline and the daily vaping numbers rise. Unfortunately, the crackdown on youth vaping is already seeing the smoking decline stalling. The ANTZ would like people to believe that the stall is caused by kids vaping then smoking, but the trends simply don't support that claim. High school smoking steadily declined as vaping rose for years until 2016-2018. Additionally, smoking in the 18-24 group - who are those who would have been vaping in high school in the previous years - is also still declining and they are sticking with vaping. If vaping led to smoking, the 18-24 smoking rates should be increasing.

We are fighting a lie, so trying to "fix it" is a futile endeavor.
I hadn’t thought about some of those angles, good points!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's why we HAVE to frame the narrative that this legislation will kill kids by forcing them to smoke, and we HAVE to do this publicly. "Save the kids"!!

That's not the road I would go down. Because it would just be Countered by the Never-Smoker argument.

And its the Never-Smokers that all this is Really About.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
That's not the road I would go down. Because it would just be Countered by the Never-Smoker argument.

And its the Never-Smokers that all this is Really About.

Well as someone here has in their signature: You can't use logic and reasoning to talk someone out of a position they didn't use logic and reasoning to arrive at. So we have to learn to beat them at their own game.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Like I said, if it wasn't for the Never-Smokers, using the "We have to save the Children" against those who use it against Us could score some points.

But the 1st thing they will ask you is... "Why would you make it any Easier for a Never-Smoker Teen to Vape? They Don't Need Saving."

And then Goal Posts shift to... "You are just Marketing to Children to get them Hooked on Nicotine".

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Like I said, if it wasn't for the Never-Smokers, using the "We have to save the Children" against those who use it against Us could score some points.

But the 1st thing they will ask you is... "Why would you make it any Easier for a Never-Smoker Teen to Vape? They Don't Need Saving."

And then Goal Posts shift to... "You are just Marketing to Children to get them Hooked on Nicotine".

Well do nothing then. It seems to be working out quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread