Video - details on the 901 USB conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
I made another USB 901 cable for Cashmere, this time I videotaped the mod itself. If you are interested in doing this mod this video might help you. I had to cut the video to save time, the original was way too long - because of that I have scrapped the long explanations of everything and added a few of my own audio tracks from my home studio - This is a pretty good overview of what you need to do to get the USB working. I hope you enjoy it.

Right click and save this file locally, it is large and not in a streaming format:

http://jlira.net/video/dse901-modding.avi

Audio Tracks:
Sisters - Played by Bastage (Original Artist: Steve Vai)
Starry Night - Played by Bastage (Original Artist: Joe Satriani)

mcastles

Oct 23, 2008
Canada
Holy MOLY !!!

Just got mine today Bastage!!! I hope everything I am typing is correct, because the vapor is so thick I can't see the screeeeeeeen!!!

Maybe I should have said what you said :thumb: there is also
a comparable difference on the smoke thickness on my 801.

I enjoy my 801 through the usb port a lot more than before when I was
using batteries.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Gonna do it ton. Was gonna use a paperclip switch but thought better of it. I also have a dead pen batt I may try it on. Thanks man!

I would recommend against trying to use a paper clip as a switch! RUn down to radio shack and get you a few cheap pushbutton switches. I'm going to make a much better version of this as soon as I get a chance (the ghetto mod is working just fine so no rush), I'll post up pics when available. Good luck doing your USB mod. I'd like to know how it turns out so post up when you're done. -J

Somoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2008
USA
Thanks for the video. I originally envisioned being able to extract the battery and using the existing pressure switch but its all to tightly packed for any such hopes but the way you did it.
I made one of these but with me being the switch (plug/unplug manually), until I Can solder one up.

e-CIG.com has these for $15 +20shipping for us US buyers.
usb-minicig.gif

https://e-cig.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=255

Its defiantly cheaper to DIY until puresmoker.com or one of of our US suppliers starts to stock them.

sixstring

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2008
SW Ga. USA
www.kdpconline.com
I'm really excited about this one! Only been at this two weeks or so, and I'm already tired of changing/charging bats at work. Since I write code for a living. I'm always at my computer...

I hope Cash gets them sooner rather than later...:thumb:

BTW - I really like the length of the USB cable that is pictured in the above post. Hope it's for real.

Last edited:

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Thanks Rat. I was really close to buying one. I've seen how you love good vape, and if you say it sucks, I'll wait for something better.

I may be building some more with manual switches, still trying to determine price point and what it's going to cost me to make them. I've never used an e-cig.com cable so I can't comment on them, but the ones I make don't suck. They won't be that cheap because they are hand built and it requires a battery to make them. Keep an eye out for a request thread...if I can get enough people committed to buying then I'll make some.

Last edited:

Somoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2008
USA
Exactly Rat, e-cig is a big Question mark for me as I've spoken to them about items on there site via the chat feature and they said they were out. Why does it say "In Stock" then?! Anyway, 1st thing I learned is never drop your e-cigarette as it can damage the pressure switch. It did give me an excuse to try this mod out though which is nice! For e-cig to put a usb cable behind that pressure switch scares me. While I would like a pressure switched USB option, I'd like to try a manual switch like you did B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread