WARNING: Vaping Prohibition About to Become Law !

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
Actually we are least affected. As DIYers can use generic off of the shelf supplies if needed. The ones that are affected most are those that doesn't DIY and those trying to find a way to quit smoking.

Yeah - let me know how DIYers aren't as affected when you gotta pay 3 grand for a liter of NIC.. lol

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
I Think what you are Overlooking is Yes, BT is all for e-Cigarettes. As long as they are the ONLY one's who are going to be Allowed to Sell them.

But if they Felt they weren't going to have Almost Complete and Total Market Dominance, they would rather put their efforts into Burning Down the e-Cigarette Market. And just Continue to Sell combustibles.

Having the FDA say that the VUSE Solo's Health Risks are lessor as when compared Smoking is sort of a Pyrrhic Victory. Because Now the Bar has been set to such a Height (and Expenses) of what RJ Reynolds prepared in their VUSE Solo PMTA. Something that really only other BT Companies can match.

Yes, there is much truth to that - But always researching I came up with this YouTube video. It is from five years ago but still worth watching - About half way through it it goes over to British American tobacco {a real biggie} and shows their research lab proving how e cigarettes are much less toxic and it mentions that
they have spent $800,000,00 dollars on 'tobacco harm reduction' even while selling the old cigarette death sticks. As I've said many times BT has no problem with making money off a safer product.
But people like Bloomberg do - His war and the so called philanthropies he finances are not about making nicotine use safer - They are about Nicotine Prohibition and that is fact.
Accuse me of being a 'conspiacy nut' for saying I smell his money, both directly and indirectly, all over this draconian nicotine tax if you want - And yes I still can't prove it but I would bet on it !!!

E-Cigarettes : Welcome Back, Big Tobacco - the fifth estate

"Big Tobacco is trying clean up its image, moving into the booming e-cigarette business"

Of course if Bloomberg {et al} and his money prevail we, BT, and all vapers and vape dealers are finished!

Reactions: BillW50

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Yeah - let me know how DIYers aren't as affected when you gotta pay 3 grand for a liter of NIC.. lol

Why should DIYers pay 3 grand for a liter of nic? With a 30 dollar pressure cooker you can extract your own nic. This is a bit overblown, but simplified it isn't that hard. You change the pH of the mash and the rest is clean up.

Last edited:

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
Why should DIYers pay 3 grand for a liter of nic? With a 30 dollar pressure cooker you can extract your own nic. This is a bit overblown, but simplified it isn't that hard. You change the pH of the mash and the rest is clean up.

Yes, I just did some research on that and put this in Eliquid secition asking if it is safe to do

How to Extract Nicotine from Tobacco - Is it Safe to Do ?
How to Extract Nicotine from Tobacco - Is it Safe to Do ?

The technique there required only.........

"The link I found showed how to boil down tobacco leaves. did mention you would eventually get pure nicotine if fully boiled {"you should boil the liquid. The purity of the nicotine is dependent upon how much of the water evaporates."}, so as per rules here I will not publish the directions as it could be boiled to a very high {almost pure} - and does mention pure nicotine is dangerous.
The procedure I found only required the right type of tobacco leaves, water, a pot, a way to boil the water, paper towels to filter solution and protective gloves and eye protectors.

So the question I have is is there a way to extract nicotine from tobacco and not letting it get too concentrated???"

OR can you do it safely and calculate what concentration of nicotine you will end up with ???

Reactions: BillW50

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
OR can you do it safely and calculate what concentration of nicotine you will end up with ???

They sell test strips (even on Amazon) that tests for nicotine. That is what I hear people are using to test the nicotine levels in their e-liquids. I believe mikepetro knows something about them. Maybe he can add more.

Reactions: Vapeon4Life

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
pfizer alone has over 100 lobbyists on capital hill. They also make chantix.

I always wondered if BP might be the big player in all this. They are big enough to make BT look like a minnow, and smart enough to hide their involvement. There's been a lot of talk about nicotine delaying the onset of Alzheimer's over the years, and some research has been carried out. What if that's real and BP knows about it. They could charge as much as they wanted, in the US at least. It could lead to the most profitable drug in history, maybe the most profitable product of any kind. If vaping was around providing a cheap source of nicotine it could blow them out of the water. And then, like you say, there's their so called quit smoking products.

It's fun to speculate as long as you remember that's all it is.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I believe I have posted this on the ECF. But if Anyone hasn't seen it, it's a Good Read. Because it Explains why the House wants a Regressive Tax on e-Cigarette user.

"NIH commissioned research has found that the tax increases on people trying to quit smoking through electronic nicotine delivery systems contained in H.R. 5376 would lead to 2.5 million additional smokers in the United States, including an additional half a million teen smokers.. The new tax proposal includes products that have been approved by the FDA as “appropriate for the protection of public health” and have been conclusively proven to be 95% safer than traditional combustible tobacco”.

It is mind-boggling that in the midst of a global pandemic, Nancy Pelosi is pushing a tax hike on people trying to save their lives, just to pay for a tax-cut for the ultra rich
said Tim Andrews, Director of Consumer Issues at Americans for Tax Reform. “The science is crystal clear: This bill is a public health disaster. The tax hikes on people trying to quit smoking contained in H.R. 5376 would lead to more people millions more Americans smoking – and dying as a result. “With millions of lives on the line, it’s time for Congressional Democrats to listen to the science – and reject Nancy Pelosi’s desperate SALT pay-for cash grab which seeks to raise revenue at the expense of human lives“

https://www.atr.org/nih-commissione...g-will-lead-25-million-additional-smokers?amp

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    beat_a_dead_horse.gif

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Well unfortunately, with all that is and has been going on with ecigs in the USA (and even the world), it's impossible for vapers to not talk about it constantly. And being that it's mostly political, it never seems to end, and therefore discussions surround vape will also never end.

So while I do understand and agree that it does get old, it is the nature of the beast. Also, if it were not for these types of discussions, ECF would be as boring as VU :w00t:

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    I called the Senator from my state {Nevada} as suggested and here is what she had to say:

"Dear Mr. xxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding a proposal to increase taxes on tobacco products under consideration in this year’s budget proposal. I appreciate hearing from you.

I agree with you and oppose these tax increases. Throughout this year’s budget process, I have fought to oppose any proposal that would raise taxes on anyone making under $400,000 per year. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the tobacco tax highly impacts low to moderate income taxpayers who are more likely to use tobacco products and ultimately pay a larger share of their income in taxes. While I recognize and sympathize with the health concerns from using tobacco products, I remain committed to my pledge to oppose any tax increases on anyone making under $400,000 per year..........."

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Rest assured that I am committed to supporting tax cuts that will benefit Nevada families. If I can be of service to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Catherine Cortez Masto
    United States Senator

Contact your Senators now - Make it simple like a safer alternative to smoking is being demonized to benefit certain special interests.
    And possibly conclude with I will consider your decision in the next election.
    Thank you,
    XYZ

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle

I am a democrat, and like some of the talking points in the article. I hate that they jump on political band wagons (including the criticism) in order to defend positions. I am a centrist, being over 60, so not always siding with progressives.

What I dislike is how they run the ads on that site. Jumps to the top if you take mouse or hand off scroll bar. I have AdBlock plus on Chrome, and quickly rushed to re enable it after reading.

To the naysayers, people can be on both sides of the aisle can agree on topics. When we brandish the talking points, it turns our debaters off, and we go into our separate corners. I have a lot of practice with my family, just extrapolate to country (and sometimes global) conflicts.

:matrix: :rickroll:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I am a democrat, and like some of the talking points in the article. I hate that they jump on political band wagons (including the criticism) in order to defend positions. I am a centrist, being over 60, so not always siding with progressives.

What I dislike is how they run the ads on that site. Jumps to the top if you take mouse or hand off scroll bar. I have AdBlock plus on Chrome, and quickly rushed to re enable it after reading.

To the naysayers, people can be on both sides of the aisle can agree on topics. When we brandish the talking points, it turns our debaters off, and we go into our separate corners. I have a lot of practice with my family, just extrapolate to country (and sometimes global) conflicts.

:matrix: :rickroll:

I'm not a one issue voter. In fact, vaping isn't my top issue, but it turns out that most Republicans that I align with anyway over other issues are the ones that are pro vaping.

• Agree
    Reactions: Oregon Linda

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    I'm not a one issue voter. In fact, vaping isn't my top issue, but it turns out that most Republicans that I align with anyway over other issues are the ones that are pro vaping.

That is where profiling comes in. Plenty of other things matter to other people, doesn't mean they don't vape. :rolleyes:

Talking points, profiling, etc, along with the almost highest polarization in history, is why I tend to keep politics out of the vaping room.

I think some impact (though I highly doubt it) is if tons of folks emailed Pelosi and other Dems in the state about the issue (don't believe Pelosi is running again, so voting in next election will not matter to her).

The biggest impact is to not bring up talking points nor profiling, and email/contact the Dem Senators in your state. You might get the cookie cutter response above (which is a shame that they might not vote the same as the letter says), but at least one has tried. Dems are people too, and this thread tends to be one issue related. So, brush aside one's differences, and communicate with Dem senators, saying at end voting record matters (even if you don't ever plan to vote for them ;)).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread