Vaping Use Prompts Trump Administration to Weigh Flavored E-Cigarettes Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
What was that famous thing where someone threw a pie at a politician... can't recall at the moment?

Dunno about the pie. We recently had a few milk shakes thrown at politicians during walkabouts. Believe it or not the police in one town were actually asking staff in MacDonald's not to sell milk shakes during a forthcoming demonstration where some politicians would be speaking. It's a mad house I tell ya.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
What was that famous thing where someone threw a pie at a politician... can't recall at the moment?

I couldn't remember so I googled it. It's been happening for a long time. Custard pies in the UK, cream pies in Europe. Mostly politicians but just recently an airline executive got pied. Not so common in the US.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Vaping Bad: Were 2 Wisconsin Brothers the Walter Whites of THC Oils?

Across the country, public health officials are awakening to a massive underground market for illicit vaping products, both for nicotine and for marijuana. The products are sold online and on the streets, in pop-up stores and individual transactions, sometimes arranged through social media.

“I’d meet people at Starbucks, a cross street, in front of an apartment, wherever they tell you,” said a 17-year-old who was one of the people hospitalized for the vaping-related lung illness in New York state. He asked that his name not be used to guard his reputation and privacy.

“It never comes up where they source it,” he said. “You don’t ask.”

Investigators have not determined whether there is a connection between the Wisconsin operation and any of the cases of severe lung diseases linked to vaping. But public health officials across the country, including Mitch Zeller, director of the Center for Tobacco Products for the Food and Drug Administration, say that street-made vaping products should be avoided by all consumers and pose the greatest health risk.

Vaping works by heating liquid and turning it into vapor to be inhaled. The original intent was to give smokers a way to satisfy their nicotine cravings without inhaling the carcinogens that come with burning tobacco.

But vaping devices and cartridges can be used to heat many substances, including cannabis-based oils, and some of the solvents used to dissolve them can present their own health problems.

On Wednesday the Trump administration said it planned to ban most flavored e-cigarettes and nicotine pods — including mint and menthol, in an effort to reduce the allure of vaping for teenagers. But the move may expand underground demand for flavored pods. And it does nothing to address the robust trade in illicit cannabis vaping products.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
1,300 People Died Today from Smoking. And 1,300 More will Die tomorrow.

And some Self Appointed Glory Seeker Pin Head wants to Ignore that to be the One who people think is Saving the Children.

:facepalm:

States need to find another cash cow for taxation. Big tobacco has the states in their pocket for billions each year in MSA payments. The states can't afford to place undue restrictions on tobacco. Vaping takes away tobacco tax money as people start to vape and not smoke.

From the quote below:
"According to A State-by-State Look at the 1998 Tobacco Settlement 19 Years Later, states will collect $27.5 billion from the MSA and taxes in Fiscal Year 2018, but will spend less than 3 percent of it on programs to prevent kids from smoking and help smokers quit."

Among its many provisions, the tobacco Master Settlement Agreement:
  • Forbids participating cigarette manufacturers from directly or indirectly targeting youth;
  • Imposes significant prohibitions or restrictions on advertising, marketing and promotional programs or activities; and
  • Bans or restricts cartoons, transit advertising, most forms of outdoor advertising, including billboards, product placement in media, branded merchandise, free product samples (except in adult-only facilities), and most sponsorships
Over the years, the states have collected tremendous amounts of commercial tobacco revenue, but are spending little of it on tobacco prevention and cessation programs. According to A State-by-State Look at the 1998 Tobacco Settlement 19 Years Later, states will collect $27.5 billion from the MSA and taxes in Fiscal Year 2018, but will spend less than 3 percent of it on programs to prevent kids from smoking and help smokers quit. No state currently funds tobacco prevention at the level recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); 29 states and the District of Columbia spend less than 20 percent of the CDC recommendation.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
States need to find another cash cow for taxation. Big tobacco has the states in their pocket for billions each year in MSA payments. The states can't afford to place undue restrictions on tobacco. Vaping takes away tobacco tax money as people start to vape and not smoke.

From the quote below:
"According to A State-by-State Look at the 1998 Tobacco Settlement 19 Years Later, states will collect $27.5 billion from the MSA and taxes in Fiscal Year 2018, but will spend less than 3 percent of it on programs to prevent kids from smoking and help smokers quit."

But here's the thing...

No One disputes the Financial Motivations of States or the Feds to Not Promote e-Cigarettes as Viable Harm Reduction. So the Need/Desire to have a Sustained Tobacco Tax Stream is kinda a Captain Obvious.

But this is All Based on e-Cigarettes being a Non-Taxed competitor to Cigarettes. And that Isn't what we are Seeing on the State Level. And what we will Not See when e-Cigarettes require a PMTA from the FDA.

In Fact, we are seeing e-Cigarettes being targeted by States with Largest Percentage Growth in Taxes of Any Product or Market Sector. So what Many saw as/is Happening is that e-Cigarettes would Supplant Combustible Tobacco Tax wise.

Now there is No Rational Argument that can be made to Suppress Adult e-Cigarette use. A Less Harmful Product at the Same Level of Taxation.

Then this Tainted THC "Vaping" hit. And the Media, thru FUD and Misinformation turned it into "All Vaping is Potentially Life Threatening.". And any Talk of Nicotine Harm Reduction was drowned out by Hyped Headlines and Self-Serving Elected Officials.

This is a Very Salient point...

"On Wednesday the Trump administration said it planned to ban most flavored e-cigarettes and nicotine pods — including mint and menthol, in an effort to reduce the allure of vaping for teenagers. But the move may expand underground demand for flavored pods. And it does nothing to address the robust trade in illicit cannabis vaping products."

There is No "May" in the above Statement. Banning Flavors IS going to Expand the use of Black Market e-Liquids/e-THC.

It Doesn't promote Public Health. It Degrades Public Health. And that is what these "Public Health Officials" swore to Uphold.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Across the country, public health officials are awakening to a massive underground market for illicit vaping products, both for nicotine and for marijuana. The products are sold online and on the streets, in pop-up stores and individual transactions, sometimes arranged through social media.

"Public Health Officials" should be Held Accountable for Stupidity and Ineptness.

If those who have been Entrusted to Promote Public Health thru Scientific Based Policies are so Out-of-Touch with the Public they are supposed to Serve, they should be Summarily Removed.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I couldn't remember so I googled it. It's been happening for a long time. Custard pies in the UK, cream pies in Europe. Mostly politicians but just recently an airline executive got pied. Not so common in the US.

Lots more people with guns in the US. Lots fewer pie throwers. Guns have been shown to reduce the harm of pie throwing. Surprised you folks haven't caught on to that yet.

Reactions: DaveP

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Lots more people with guns in the US. Lots fewer pie throwers. Guns have been shown to reduce the harm of pie throwing. Surprised you folks haven't caught on to that yet.
70429210_2597513497181464_5376269649715396608_n.jpg

69640266_3025416460803226_2758071029321433088_n.png

69458017_1421047408044654_5815601154343567360_n.jpg

Last edited:

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
You should be doing that now, not later. Later might be too late.
LMAO! A whole 5 posts before the Stock Up Now! The Sky is Falling! Alarmists came out with their weeping and gnashing of teeth.
I might have thought they would have learned Something from the idiocy that was the rabid, foaming at the mouth, deeming stock up now lunacy.
Wondering if the same ban happy gestapo agent will thump me for This post too.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-#KeepingMyEyesPeeledForTheMassGatheringOfTHOUSANDSOfNewFDAConfiscationAgentsWhoNeverWillBe

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I might have thought they would have learned Something from the idiocy that was the rabid, foaming at the mouth, deeming stock up now lunacy.
Yeah, I learned something from stocking up: I now vape for for under $20 a year (the cost of a few new batteries here and there) and I know exactly what's in my juice because I make it myself.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So, we quietly boost our personal e-cig stock in juice and hardware in anticipation of a ban on vaping. It's sad that our government doesn't recognize the future medical savings from urging smokers to quit burning tobacco and switch to vaping. We can't prevent people from tainting vaping by doing ridiculous things like vaping illegal drugs and other street concoctions in their vapes.

As others have said, vaping is the key to getting America off the smokes, but it will eventually cause a reduction in tobacco companies' ability to pay the states their due under the tobacco tax settlement unless they switch over to vape devices as their lead products. Maybe the tobacco companies have set aside the necessary funds in an account for payoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread