"We Are Vapers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

YetiHunter

May 26, 2011
Chicagoland
I'm really trying not to be a troll here.
To clarify: my concern is that it's labeled as a documentary, yet clearly made by and funded by
persons who have a strong bias concerning the subject matter. I understand that bias
is king in the land of documentaries....these days. However, they're not really motion picture
documents; they're in fact persuasive discourse presented as film. The fine line between
the latter and propaganda is up to the audience to decide.

Thus, I suggest being prepared for scrutiny, or, pre-emptively tackle any possible negative
criticisms by being publicly "self-aware" when presenting the film.

I'm pretty certain the guy directing this won't be confused by what I'm saying here.

Sidenote:

I have not seen this Addiction Incorporated, and am not commenting on it directly.
While I'm aware of the research involving the use of nicotine to help stroke recovery,
I'd, personally, be weary of tersely wording that "Nicotine does not cause heart attacks and strokes".
True, it's the smoke causing most heart disease with smokers. However: a.) vasoconstriction
b.) norepinephrine

Yes I'm nitpicking. However, since you are so concerned about these things; consider it preparation.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Okay well id like to donate but im not so sure since the goal is still so far away. How will my little donation help if the goal is not reached? Is someone going to step up and donate the remainder to make this happen? If so I will click the link and do the good deed. But it makes me nervous otherwise. Im sure other people would like to know this also. Thanks.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Okay well id like to donate but im not so sure since the goal is still so far away. How will my little donation help if the goal is not reached? Is someone going to step up and donate the remainder to make this happen? If so I will click the link and do the good deed. But it makes me nervous otherwise. Im sure other people would like to know this also. Thanks.
My understanding is that the documentary will proceed regardless of whether the funding goal is reached or not. I think the goal was an amount of money that the producer felt would be needed in order to have the resources he felt would be needed to produce a documentary of the quality he was hoping for. Receiving less money that the goal would lead to having less resources to produce a documentary of the quality desired, but it would still be produced.

Also, if for any reason the project does not proceed, all money received to that point will be turned over to CASAA. So since any profit from this documentary goes to CASAA, and since any money donated goes to CASAA should the project not proceed for any reason, this is essentially a donation to CASAA. In my opinion, that makes it worth donating regardless of the outcome!

:)

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
To clarify: my concern is that it's labeled as a documentary, yet clearly made by and funded by
persons who have a strong bias concerning the subject matter. I understand that bias
is king in the land of documentaries....these days. However, they're not really motion picture
documents; they're in fact persuasive discourse presented as film. The fine line between

Thus, I suggest being prepared for scrutiny, or, pre-emptively tackle any possible negative

I'm pretty certain the guy directing this won't be confused by what I'm saying here.

Sidenote:

I have not seen this Addiction Incorporated, and am not commenting on it directly.
While I'm aware of the research involving the use of nicotine to help stroke recovery,
I'd, personally, be weary of tersely wording that "Nicotine does not cause heart attacks and strokes".
True, it's the smoke causing most heart disease with smokers. However: a.) vasoconstriction
b.) norepinephrine

Yes I'm nitpicking. However, since you are so concerned about these things; consider it preparation.
Your perspective is interesting. Documentaries can be focused on one or more points of view/perspectives. Yes, it is certainly possible that some people will raise speculative and/or counter points of view and opinions. This is always the case with pretty much any issue open to public discussion, legislative consideration and even more so when it involves matters of health and safety. This only reinforces the NEED for more accurate information and education to facilitate these discussions. In this case, the goals of We Are Vapers are in the directions of illuminating many facets of tobacco Harm Reduction which are not getting much light.

As we have seen, various regulatory agencies are openly admitting they do not know many/most of the facts and are often attempting (and in some cases enacting) legislation directly aimed at vaping without information. In some cases it may be outright bans attempts, partial bans, unsubstantiated tax rates, etc. Irresponsible media use sensationalism and scare tactics, often avoiding and/or blatantly omitting relatively easily obtainable facts, to boost ratings and further propagate misinformation and fear.

Some form of regulation will come eventually. We can sit back and wait to see what gets enacted/imposed or we can get involved, educate and try to facilitate the process. We Are Vapors plans to shed light on accuracy of information and hopefully educate the public (including those who might be involved in such regulation processes). In the continued absence of accurate information to consider, we face the likelihood of more regulatory efforts based on fear, misinformation, and/or simple lack of any accurate information. Additionally, this film might be able to offer (proactively) ideas towards reasonable regulation.

As a "community" we can (and will) continue to fight bans and/or anti legislation AND we can reach out with MORE accurate information which is so far rarely reaching the public. Bringing greater public awareness to profound improvements in peoples' health (and lives overall) from Tobacco Harm Reduction, viable/less-harmful alternatives to smoking, statistics, research, etc. can only help to expand the discussions and flush out information.

Most importantly, there are still millions and millions of people smoking tobacco. These millions have no idea that vaping is a viable alternative and/or that we have an ever growing supportive community of people ready and willing to help them learn and experience the benefits of Tobacco Harm Reduction.

As for "funded by persons who have a strong bias concerning the subject matter" - we are extremely open about the funding only going towards the most basic of expenses. Projects of this scale and substance usually have budgets in excess of $300,000 with most of that money paying for salaries in production, post production, etc. In this case, We Are Vapers already has pretty much all the directing, production and post production talent and equipment needed and we are working on a volunteer basis. This modest fund raising is merely to cover things like transporting people and equipment to various filming locations, etc.

Tobacco Harm is a worldwide phenomenon and Tobacco Harm Reduction is an extremely valid and worthwhile worldwide goal.

DC2 is correct, we ARE dedicated to this project and plan to proceed. As I wrote above, this modest (overstatement in that term) budget is truly an insubstantial amount for a project of this magnitude. EVERY dollar, and/or other contribution, helps the production team make the project happen and it can only benefit us all (including vapers, venders, smokers who do not yet know about Tobacco Harm Reduction as well as help educate those who may be involved in future regulatory discussions). This is a huge effort/project and each and every dollar donated helps make it happen bigger, better and be more effective.

If it were not for the generosity and dedication of our Director and production team, volunteered time and resources, equipment donations, etc. (all of which are already substantial with so much more yet to come) that meager amount could not fund such a project. The Indiegogo campaign will close in a few days but We Are Vapers will not. That campaign has a limited time span it can run and we certainly hope we will fulfill the meager campaign goal. So, please DO contribute whatever you can, encourage others to contribute, encourage your venders to contribute and get involved!! We have free downloadable website banners that can be clickable links to our main webpage and free downloadable flyers venders can print and include with their outgoing orders. There are donation levels for which individuals and venders can receive acknowledgement in the film's credits. More importantly, each donor (individuals and venders alike) will have the satisfaction and pride in knowing they participated in helping make this project become a reality. Personally, I consider being involved in this project a wonderful honor.

The filming will begin in earnest next weekend in Chicago. Updates will be posted and also discussed regularly on The VapeTeam shows. And, DC2 is also correct, ALL proceeds and/or any un-used donation dollars are already pledged to CASAA: CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

We openly invite and welcome everyone to come to VapeTeam shows on Wednesday nights at 9:30 eastern http://vapersplace.com/vp-live-vape-team/ and meet the people involved, receive updates on the project, get vaping news updates, see and hear about new products coming to vaping, and HAVE SOME FUN. Bring your friends who still smoke as there are often starter kit give-aways and support for new vapers too.

I encourage any/every-one to come to VapeTeam shows on Wednesday nights and get a chance to see the people involved in the We Are Vapers film project. You will find we are all 100% dedicated to vaping, accuracy in information, helping others, following and informing those involved the legislative process, researching to find more and more information, etc. all with the aim towards Tobacco Harm Reduction.

To all those going to Vape Bash and Vape Fest in Chicago this weekend - we hope you will have a great time, meet new people, find new gear, learn more about vaping and hopefully come meet many of the We Are Vapers Team in person.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

Sidenote:

b.) norepinephrine

Considering that there are no longer any documentaries made without any bias or without the intent to influence or sway public opinion and\or raise public awareness about the subject matter, I think your concern is pretty much a non-issue. Any and all types of documentaries are subject to public scrutiny - the key is to use irrefutable facts and stick to the truth - which is the intent of this film.

The term "documentary" today pretty much covers any film that is not primarily a fictional story, reports facts and features real people telling their personal stories. There is no other label which so aptly applies in this case than "documentary."

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Okay, I was going to go for co-producer, but that wouldn't bounce the number up another $1000, so I went for Associate Producer. The total is now $16,140. If I can contribute 2.5% of the nut, we need less than 80 additional people to contribute .25% of the goal ($50) to reach $20K. That's not even a carton of cigarettes in most parts. That's my challenge!

*oops math slip up!

Last edited:

Dimitris

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Georgia
Okay, I was going to go for co-producer, but that wouldn't bounce the number up another $1000, so I went for Associate Producer. The total is now $16,140. If I can contribute 5% of the nut, we need less than 80 additional people to contribute .25% of the goal ($50) to reach $20K. That's not even a carton of cigarettes in most parts. That's my challenge!

What a wonderful challenge!!! Thank you so much!!! We are almost there!!!

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Amazing! Less than 48 hours to the deadline and sill close to $4,000 short of the goal. I guess vaping is not that important to the community. We should be embarrassed.

I agree. We are a 4 person household with a single income of $8 an hour. We have a mortgage payment and bills just like everyone else. If I can do this then how can everyone else not do it? Im about to do another $75.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Amazing! Less than 48 hours to the deadline and sill close to $4,000 short of the goal. I guess vaping is not that important to the community. We should be embarrassed.
I was going to wait until the IndieGoGo deadline passed before I went off on a rant.
But yeah, it is pretty disgusting.

There have only been 2 donations in the last 24 hours.
You gotta be kidding me.

But I've been watching it every day, and I've been disappointed for quite some time.
It has gone days without a single donation.

I'll save anything else I want to say for my upcoming rant.

I'm just hoping that the raffle will help a lot.
And I'm hoping some vendors step up at the very end.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
DC, I've felt the same way, particularly about the vendors. We don't win this war (I'm not talking just vaping but the entire harm reduction movement) unless it's done with education. We've been sold a bill of goods by the government, big business and the ?non-profit?"health" associations (is there a difference here between them and BB) for decades that will continue unless the word gets out from many sources. This is a very good idea.

I'm just a consumer like most of us here, we stand to profit only from keeping product available. That's a worthy enough reason to donate. However, this is the vendor's livelihood. They can't see fit to spend some of those profits on promoting their industry? I understand the difficulty of organizing a trade organization, especially with their larger competitors trying to set up an organization that limits the innovation in the industry. Something like this would be a no brainer for me.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Okay, in the last hour some corp. sponsor stepped up and donated $1500 leaving us $1,340 short of the $20k goal! Eight more hours. Not sure who it was, but I'd like my next order to go to them. One more of those would get us there. 134 vapers donating $10 would also do it. Who's willing to step to the plate?

Digimon2k

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
www.deejstuff.com
As a vendor who kicked in early, who's been promoting it in my thread and on my site and in my product shipments, who just kicked in another prize for the raffle, I gotta say it's a bit frustrating to read what I've just read.

If I had the funds available, I'd love to close the gap. I don't. Sorry that I've let you all down.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
As a vendor who kicked in early, who's been promoting it in my thread and on my site and in my product shipments, who just kicked in another prize for the raffle, I gotta say it's a bit frustrating to read what I've just read.

If I had the funds available, I'd love to close the gap. I don't. Sorry that I've let you all down.

Digi, there are vendors all over, not to mention all the vapers on ECF. I don't think anyone understands what we're up against in the opposition we're trying to hold off. I've just heard that one of the on line vendors of smokeless products that aren't readily available in convenience stores, Lil brown is no longer selling to customers in Wisc. and Iowa and who knows what other States. In Wisc. they're being told they need to register there and pay the taxes. LB sells things lioke Swedish snus, Ariva and Stonewalls. Throw enough red tape at these small companies and you protect PM and RJR's market share.

We were supposed to be seeing Swedish snus in the Philly area convenience stores in Jan or Feb, yet there is still no sighn of it. I'm starting to wonder if they're being stonewalled (no pun intended) through efforts of BT. These new entries to the big party run by BP, BT, ?non-profit?"health" associations, the FDA and governments on all levels is being crashed by you and many other small players and they don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread