Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Not Agreeing or Dis-Agreeing with your Opinion that is Based on the 2 Polls Data.

But whenever you see Poll or Survey Data, ask yourself where it came from. And was it Randomly Chosen for a Given Population.

Polling people on the ECF is Great. But if a Person Tries an e-Cigarette and it Doesn't work, so they Don't pursue e-cigarettes anymore, Do you think it is Likely that they will be on the ECF answering Poll Questions?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I'm sorry Andria, but I'm going to have to disagree...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/276317-how-easy-switching-tobacco-alternative.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/80124-how-long-did-take-you-stop-smoking.html

For most of us, it was actually fairly easy.
But in no way does that mean that this is true for everyone.

And it in no way diminishes the efforts of those who had to work a bit harder.
And does not in any way convey upon such people any lack of willpower or desire.

I think it's mostly a matter of how fast you find what works for you.
And even then there can be many other contributing factors beyond just "really wanting to quit".

It's just that I've seen a couple of posts lately saying how those that quit easily are in the minority, which does not appear to be the case.
Or even worse, that those that quit easily are lying or not telling the whole story.

I can't let that pass without commenting.
:)

It was easier for me the first time, because I was really just kinda trying it out... I seemed to quit, to switch vaping for smoking, *almost* without even trying. The 2nd time, I already *knew* it was possible, I just had to make up my mind to *make the effort.* Once I did make the effort, then it was almost as easy as the first time -- though I did add WTA this time around.

I agree, it's not difficult *once you make the effort*... but for some people, just making up their mind to actually make the effort, that's the hard part. And that is different for everyone, and no one can really tell them how, or how long it should take. It's an act of will that, once made, with e-cigs as a substitute, makes quitting a simple matter. But just deciding to actually make that act of will, and stick with it, no matter what... it *can* be very difficult.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Not Agreeing or Dis-Agreeing with your Opinion that is Based on the 2 Polls Data.

But whenever you see Poll or Survey Data, ask yourself where it came from. And was it Randomly Chosen for a Given Population.

Polling people on the ECF is Great. But if a Person Tries an e-Cigarette and it Doesn't work, so they Don't pursue e-cigarettes anymore, Do you think it is Likely that they will be on the ECF answering Poll Questions?
I totally agree with everything you just said.

My point is still that if you find the right equipment and liquid that works for you, it isn't necessarily hard for most people.
And your comments are exactly why I agree that you are right, but that my point still holds.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It was easier for me the first time, because I was really just kinda trying it out... I seemed to quit, to switch vaping for smoking, *almost* without even trying. The 2nd time, I already *knew* it was possible, I just had to make up my mind to *make the effort.* Once I did make the effort, then it was almost as easy as the first time -- though I did add WTA this time around.

I agree, it's not difficult *once you make the effort*... but for some people, just making up their mind to actually make the effort, that's the hard part. And that is different for everyone, and no one can really tell them how, or how long it should take. It's an act of will that, once made, with e-cigs as a substitute, makes quitting a simple matter. But just deciding to actually make that act of will, and stick with it, no matter what... it *can* be very difficult.

Andria
I respect you very much as a poster and as a human being.
I've certainly read hundreds of your posts at minimum.

But please remember that your experience is unique to you, and only you.
And it is a very unique experience you have had, for sure.

I'm just glad that you've made it this far after all you've been through.
:thumb:

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel
I have been studying all aspects of vaping for many years now.
And I am fully prepared for anything thrown at me.

If anyone made such a comment to me, they had better be prepared for a long and drawn out debate that I will surely win.

And if they still just don't get it, they will at the very least know they had best not say such a thing out loud where I can hear it.
Because when all else fails, I am not above berating such people for their ignorance in the same manner they are attempting to berate me for their false beliefs.

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of such an encounter face-to-face.

To be honest don't know if there is any point arguing with people about it , I'm sick and tired of people's remark about it that I don't get to this all discussion ... , at first I was very insulted that after almost 9 years I finally kicked Tobacco out of my life and all i get is stupid comments for it

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

My point is still that if you find the right equipment and liquid that works for you, it isn't necessarily hard for a most people.

Kinda Hard to Argue with that.

BTW - That Big Survey of 10,000 ECF Members said that +78% of the ECF Members who Replied said that they were Completely Non-Smokers.

I wonder if the Same Results would have been Observed if the survey was done in Late 2009 when an RN4081 with Blue Foam Carts was all the Rage?

People who are Switching Today have it Too Easy. I say they should Try to Quit using a 9 Drop Cart and a Pyramid Teabag or a Straw Mod.

LOL

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
To be honest don't know if there is any point arguing with people about it , I'm sick and tired of people's remark about it that I don't get to this all discussion ... , at first I was very insulted that after almost 9 years I finally kicked Tobacco out of my life and all i get is stupid comments for it
The point is that if we don't educate, don't work to change the status quo, then no one else will.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... at first I was very insulted that after almost 9 years I finally kicked Tobacco out of my life and all i get is stupid comments for it

Don't let Naysayers get you Down. And Remember this Famous Quote...

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." –- Mark Twain

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
This is a silly question who cares what anyone says obviously it helped you quit smoking so id just tell em well it helped me quit can't speak for anyone else. Most people that try vaping fail as a quitting method in fact of my 4 family members that smoke I am the only one vaping worked for so that's 25% in my closest family friends.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wonder if the Same Results would have been Observed if the survey was done in Late 2009 when an RN4081 with Blue Foam Carts was all the Rage?

People who are Switching Today have it Too Easy. I saw they should Try to Quit using a 9 Drop Cart and a Pyramid Teabag or a Straw Mod.
Fun thread for you to read, if you haven't already...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-vaping-discussion/470502-i-remember-back-day.html

But I'm sure you have, so I'm posting it for others to check out.

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
Kinda Hard to Argue with that.

BTW - That Big Survey of 10,000 ECF Members said that +78% of the ECF Members who Replied said that they were Completely Non-Smokers.

People who are Switching Today have it Too Easy. I say they should Try to Quit using a 9 Drop Cart and a Pyramid Teabag or a Straw Mod.

LOL

ECF members means people that are more interested and serious about vaping... for instance of my closest family and friends none have ever heard of ECF tried to quit smoking by vaping and it didn't work for them.... me on the other hand I took vaping seriously and found these forums and got into rebuilding and you tube... it really comes down to the person and how willing they are to get serious into vaping.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ECF members means people that are more interested and serious about vaping...

I dunno?

People join Forums many Times to get Information. But Once they get what they are looking for, the reason they stay can Vary Widely.

I haven't Changed much of my Vaping Habits in the Last Year or so. So I'm Not Sure if you would call me a Serious Vapor. I just come to Read Threads and maybe Answer a Newbies Question when I can.

jumphour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
CT, USA
I think non-smokers have decided that if you quit smoking, you have to SUFFER.....withdrawal, depression, etc. If you stop smoking the burning cancer sticks, you shall no longer know pleasure and you shall not fill the voids that quitting left. I still can't believe I quit while using those cigalikes, but I did, and it wasn't THAT bad. Now, with all my toys and tanks and flavors, I'm really enjoying myself, I'm not all dark and sad like the other times I tried to quit, and there's such great support here at ECF. :vapor: And I got vapemail today....what's better than that? :D

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I think non-smokers have decided that if you quit smoking, you have to SUFFER.....withdrawal, depression, etc. If you stop smoking the burning cancer sticks, you shall no longer know pleasure and you shall not fill the voids that quitting left.
While this may be true to a large degree for many EX-smokers, I'm not so sure that NEVER-smokers feel this way so much.
Unless of course those never-smokers are hardcore ANTZ types.

But I have spent some time on some quit smoking forums that preach a gospel of various things we here know are false.
And the people on those forums, that preach that gospel, they truly hate us.

And while they think we are causing smokers to stray from the true and righteous path...
I know that they are killing people by insisting that their way is the only way.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I respect you very much as a poster and as a human being.
I've certainly read hundreds of your posts at minimum.

But please remember that your experience is unique to you, and only you.
And it is a very unique experience you have had, for sure.

I'm just glad that you've made it this far after all you've been through.
:thumb:

Thanks. :) It certainly has been a busy year for my body: start vaping, quit smoking, look at those cankles and god my feet are LUMPY and they HURT, appendicitis, appendectomy, oh god I'm sick, this vape tastes TERRIBLE and oh god look at my cankles, smoke some more, keep trying to vape, fix that dehydration and those electrolytes ASAP, quit smoking again... I hope all the busy-ness is over now. :D

But, just think about the people whose posts we see around here who just can't seem to get rid of the cigarettes, they're still smoking 2 or 3 or 5 a day, even though they say that they really want to quit. It's my belief that they can't because they haven't made up their minds completely to just stop considering smoking as an option. Maybe their wife or their kids or their doctor or their boss wants them to quit, and they really want to please whoever it is... but in their own heart, they're still attached to the idea of smoking, and just can't seem to let it go, so they give themselves the option to smoke whenever "it" gets too bad, whatever "it" is... and so they mean well, and maybe they really think that they actually do want to quit... but they really don't. Not enough to hurt for it, or even suffer a bit of discomfort.

Andria

Last edited:

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
ECF members means people that are more interested and serious about vaping... for instance of my closest family and friends none have ever heard of ECF tried to quit smoking by vaping and it didn't work for them.... me on the other hand I took vaping seriously and found these forums and got into rebuilding and you tube... it really comes down to the person and how willing they are to get serious into vaping.

I don't doubt that, I think the support you get from fellow vapers is important in helping the switch. In fact I often wonder if like the nrt vaping works better because of the support. We now that nrt fails 9 out of 10 times if used without professional help, it claims to be better with this support. I know people who failed with vaping and people who succeeded, the difference was the sense of camaraderie that the successes got from talking with other vapers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I think non-smokers have decided that if you quit smoking, you have to SUFFER.....withdrawal, depression, etc. If you stop smoking the burning cancer sticks, you shall no longer know pleasure and you shall not fill the voids that quitting left. I still can't believe I quit while using those cigalikes, but I did, and it wasn't THAT bad. Now, with all my toys and tanks and flavors, I'm really enjoying myself, I'm not all dark and sad like the other times I tried to quit, and there's such great support here at ECF. :vapor: And I got vapemail today....what's better than that? :D

I quit in February using an eRoll. Of course, the day that was actually first smoke-free day, I got a real bottom-coil clearo and got to use my iTaste vv3 for the first time, and it made an enormous difference -- the cigalikes got me TO quit, but the better equipment made it stick, made it really work.

And yeah it's fun, I'm having a blast. :D Who'd a thunk quitting smoking could be so ENTERTAINING?!? :D

Andria

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
I was out at Portland Community College where I teach last Wednesday, and there was a young girl smoking an EVOD at the designated smoking area. They were asking her about it. Most of them were interested, but there was an ex-smoker in the group as well who started telling the girl that she thought vaping was stupid. I jumped in (I'm obnoxious that way) and said that I'd been smoking for 30 years, and that since I started vaping, I hadn't wanted a cigarette since. I said that I got the same throat hit, and the same nicotine, and the juice tasted really good, but that you could get or make your own juice for about 1/10th what a pack of cigarettes cost, and that my sense of smell had come back, and that I wasn't coughing any more. Then, we all talked about how expensive cigarettes were, and one guy was talking about how much of a dent in his budget $150/month was making. Then, I told the ex-smoker that if she was able to quit on her own, that was great! I had a lot of respect for that, and she definitely shouldn't start vaping. But for me, this was MUCH better than smoking, and was definitely not stupid FOR ME.

So, in my opinion, you should be an ambassador to smokers, and provide them with all of the information that they're interested in. You might even convince a few of them to give it a try. For non-smokers, who cares what they think? I'm not vaping for them, I'm vaping for me. If someone wants to be belligerent, it's not my job to change them. And, if someone is invincibly ignorant, then there's no use in wasting your breath talking to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread