Have you been asked "When are you going to quit that thing?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
The only ones who ask me if I plan on quitting vaping are current smokers. The first question they almost always ask is "are you using it to quit?"

I tell them no. I have no intention of stopping. I've switched to this (vaping) instead of inhaling burnt tobacco (smoking). Then that's that in almost all cases.

I have encountered a bit of hostility from a very few smokers. I've overheard one guy at work say something like "those are stupid. If you're going to smoke, then smoke a real (read: manly) cigarette." I just let it go.

My non-smoking friends actually think it's the Best. Thing. Ever. They all seemed to understand from day one that it's a switch instead of a tool to help me quit nicotine.

N00bx7

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Went to visit my mother and she had that question for me. Both of my grandfathers died due to cigarette related illnesses so she was VERY happy I quit for the most part. She said I should try to wean myself off the habit in a year or so..not nearly as negative as I'm seeing some people deal with. Till I see any major health risks, I'll probably vape till I get tired of dealing with all of it.

I think most people see it as a bad habit, which I guess it could be but as previously mentioned so is caffeine and I don't function without my coffee :evil:

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
On my third day of no analogs my husband said that now all you have to do is get off the nicotine, I in turn said "don't go there". I know he wants me to get off of nicotine completely but I love to vape. He dealt with my smoking all these years he can deal with this too. He does think it is great that I am in my third week of no analogs!!!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I've switched to this (vaping) instead of inhaling burnt tobacco (smoking). .
That was what I was trying to convince people of in that other thread - that we should be emphasizing to people that we have switched to vaping, not just that we "quit smoking."

I know we are all proud that we quit smoking, but if we place too much emphasis on that, they start to think that ecigs are just smoking cessation devices and not another acceptable consumable like coffee, tea, soda or alcohol.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
And that's it in a nutshell for me. While no one close to me has questioned when I will stop vaping (they're ecstatic that I no longer smoke), my opinion and those of my immediate family are what matters to me ... and they're behind me 100%.

Jan

That's my experience exactly.

My wife and I have publicly struggled with quitting cigarettes over the last few years. E-cigs have finally made that possible and I've been able to convince several friends and family members to try them out. Now it's a very common sight to see a few e-cigs among the people I hang out with.

My family, friends, and co-workers are estatic that I've been able to finally end my addiction to smokes. Especially the non-smokers among them.

That said. My wife and I are starting to quit vaping. My wife is down to about 6 drops of liquid a day and I'm down to about 14. But we've never felt pressured to quit and don't pressure each other. It just seems like the natural progression of things for us.

I haven't told anyone that I'm quitting vaping, but with vaping, I've never felt like I was offending anyone so why bother announcing it. However, we will always have an e-cig or two on hand in case we EVER have the desire to light up a cigarette.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
kristin: Yes, I have been asked when I'm going to quit smoking. I respond that I quit on January 15th. But, I understand your point. Perhaps after pointing out that I've quit smoking, I should add, "I found something better to take it's place" ... and here I thought giving up the cigarettes would be approved of in and of itself.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
That was what I was trying to convince people of in that other thread - that we should be emphasizing to people that we have switched to vaping, not just that we "quit smoking."

I know we are all proud that we quit smoking, but if we place too much emphasis on that, they start to think that ecigs are just smoking cessation devices and not another acceptable consumable like coffee, tea, soda or alcohol.

Well, I know we disagree on this one issue of semantics (and it should be said that I wholeheartedly agree with just about everything else you say--you're looking at your number one straw mod fan :)), but some e-cig users primary reasons for trying e-cigs was to quit smoking. I know that's my number one priority when trying to get other smoker's to "switch".

By the same token, I can absolutely agree that a lot of e-cig users find e-cigs absolutely enjoyable and are very content to continue vaping for as long as they like. I'm just not one of them and I think my case may not be the norm. Both my wife and I intend to quit nicotine altogether and so far, it looks like we're well on the way.

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
LOL! That was really cute - thanks for the chuckle! I get too serious sometimes! :oops:
Heheh, we all do, you're very welcome. (that actually happened...mom was impressed, lol)

I have noticed that I've been getting looks from her every time I take a hit. Of course nicotine isn't good for you (a little more dangerous than caffiene and a lot less than the amount of soda I drink) which is her problem with it. She'd occasionally say things like, don't puff on that thing all day, etc. Finally looked her in the eye today and was like, "look, I'm not trying to quit these, they are a replacement, I don't want to stop with the nicotine, I like it, I just don't like cancer." She backed down and hasn't given me crap for it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread