Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I'm interested in hearing stories from people who have been asked when they were going to quit their ecig.

Did they support your switch to vaping only to expect that you would eventually quit ecigs? Do they not accept that vaping is an acceptable activity, not just a smoking cessation device? Are they combative now and angry that you haven't quit vaping yet?

I've been seeing threads popping up here enough that this seems to be an alarming trend. Some seem to think that the public will just support vaping, because it helped them quit smoking. I think that, unless public perception is changed and ecigs are accepted as a legal, adult activity, we will see increased pressure to quit vaping, as well.

For those who say their family & friends support their vaping, go ask them now if they expect you to quit vaping eventually. I think you'll be surprised at the answer.

Tell us your story and enlighten us!

cyanide_black

Mar 8, 2010
USA
Yeah.

My wife just assumed I was using this as a short term method to help me quit smoking. I told her that, while I wanted to stop smoking analogs, I didn't intend to stop vaping anytime soon (if ever). She was not exactly upset or anything, just a little disappointed. I think it helps that she understands I've always enjoyed smoking and just wanted something that was safer.

She is one of those ex-smokers who feels you should "just quit" like she did. She never really smoked more than a couple a day and she still occasionally smokes when we are drinking (which is not often). I tried the nicotine gum two summers ago and managed to quit for 9 days before reverting. I was irritable the whole time and still craved a smoke. She is impressed that I have quit analogs so easily with my pv and am not suffering any of the withdrawal symptoms like I did with the gum.

She is also thrilled at all the money we are saving! All in all, she has been very supportive and I don't think she will really pressure me to quit vaping as long as I don't go overboard with it. Her only real worry is that people will think I am using an illegal substance when I vape in public.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yes, I suspect that a lot of our loved ones (at least the the non-smokers/non-vapers) are secretly hoping we'll wean off or just quit the ecigs.

Drinking gallons of coffee or sugary, caffienated soft drinks, chewing gum, a glass of wine every night...all ok. But our enjoyment of nicotine is scorned, even when it poses no more danger than all those cups of coffee or cans of cola.

Sweep

Mar 6, 2010
Denmark
As long as there's nicotine involved, there will be people wanting us to stop it. That is, for me at least, a proven fact and stated by several people.

They seem to believe that nicotine = the evil that analogues are. It matters not that it is a proven fact that nicotine is about as dangerous as caffeine, none of my non-smoking friends or family seem to care.

My Freedom as a Vaper:​

• I am free to smoke an analog if I really want to AND I am free from any desire to do so.

• I am free to continue enjoying the benefits nicotine provides me, AND I am free to cut down or reduce my nicotine intake if I decide the risk outweighs the benefits.

• I am free to enjoy all the things I liked about the activity of smoking, AND I am free from all the things I disliked about it.

• I am free to stand outside with my friends who smoke and not feel out of place, AND I am free to go inside without the fear and guilt of exposing my family to carbon monoxide and other toxins.

:evil: Think outside the pack.

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
If it wasn't for my health I would probably still be smoking. Like so many on here, I really liked to smoke. I liked everything about it except the way it made me smell. One of, if not the best, friend I've ever had knew about my health issues and got me into vaping. Thanks Steph!

At first when I ordered the Hubby, who still smokes, thought I was just going to use it for awhile then quit. Even though I kept telling him if it got me off cigs I was going to keep using it. It finally got to the point that I just said yeah honey to get him to shut up. After a few weeks he decided to give it a try. I did everything for him to make it as easy as possible short of vaping it myself. I even spent $80 and bought him a Chuck. He no longer vapes and still smokes his brains out. I quit keeping my clothes in the bedroom because I don't smoke and I dont want to smell like I do. I think he realizes now how hard it is to quit and he doesn't say anything anymore.

My dad and stepmom are antismokers and at first they kept on me about quitting vaping. I don't talk to them anymore because of a family spat so their opinion doesn't matter to me. Actually, their opinion really didnt matter to begin with. I'm the one that vapes and has to deal with that, not them.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Actually, their opinion really didnt matter to begin with. I'm the one that vapes and has to deal with that, not them.

And that's it in a nutshell for me. While no one close to me has questioned when I will stop vaping (they're ecstatic that I no longer smoke), my opinion and those of my immediate family are what matters to me ... and they're behind me 100%.

Jan

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
And that's it in a nutshell for me. While no one close to me has questioned when I will stop vaping (they're ecstatic that I no longer smoke), my opinion and those of my immediate family are what matters to me ... and they're behind me 100%.

Jan
Have you asked them if they expect you to quit vaping? Just because they support your quitting smoking doesn't mean the expectation isn't there.

If vapers don't care what other people think, that's when we have given up the fight and we find our rights removed and our ecigs banned.

Just as in the gay rights movement, the families of gays may have been supportive (of course they realize there is not really a "choice" as in smoking/vaping) but "other people's" opinions have had a huge impact on gay rights.

Just because it's none of their business doesn't mean they'll stay out of it, either.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Have you asked them if they expect you to quit vaping? Just because they support your quitting smoking doesn't mean the expectation isn't there.

If vapers don't care what other people think, that's when we have given up the fight and we find our rights removed and our ecigs banned.

Just as in the gay rights movement, the families of gays may have been supportive (of course they realize there is not really a "choice" as in smoking/vaping) but "other people's" opinions have had a huge impact on gay rights.

Just because it's none of their business doesn't mean they'll stay out of it, either.

I have, and they don't.

Now, Kristin, that's not what I said at all. I do care what JQ Public thinks with respect to their ability to take my rights away from me. I've written my elected officials, and if necessary I will take time off work and travel to march on wherever has been deemed necessary to shout from the rooftops that I will not be quiet while my rights are stripped away.

I also vape in public and have yet to receive a negative reaction. All I've experienced is questions, curiousity, encouragement, and support. Then again, I'm also in a "liberal oasis within a field of conservative" so maybe my experience is slightly different than the majority's.

Jan

Last edited:

Melwig

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2009
Northern CA
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I never did pick up vaping in order to quit smoking. Quitting smoking was an unexpected side effect, and now I can honestly say that I choose to vape rather than smoke because I prefer it.

Its a bit like saying "I used to drink white wine, now I prefer red"...no expectation that I was going to stop drinking wine there, and there was no expectation by me or by anyone around me that I intended or desired to stop smoking.

I agree with OP, its a matter of how you think about vaping and present it to people around you who might have any say in what you do. If you think of it and therefore present it as just a way to help you quit, then it seems to me that you do indeed raise the expectation that its a crutch on the way to stopping any kind of activity that is in any way similar to or related to smoking.

You might avoid a lot of heartache if you just say something like "I think I want to try this new thing as an alternative to smoking. It looks like it might be a bit healthier, and a whole lot cheaper."

pm2006

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I bought e-cigs because I was going to visit my oldest daughter in a non-smoking environment (she HATES smoking) and there was a long plane ride involved. I hoped that I would quit but didn't count on it. My husband is a heavy smoker and just isn't into the e-ciggy. (I haven't given up yet).

I haven't quit but I am down to 3 or 4 analogs a day at work. I leave the cigs there and only vape at home. This works for me. Both my husband and 2 almost grown children are thrilled with where I am and never once have asked me if I am ever going to give up the last few analogs or my e-cig.

I am hoping to quit analogs entirely one day but vaping . . . I just don't think so because let's face it . . . . what would I do all day if didn't hang out on this forum? :rolleyes:

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
My mom was a little annoyed at first, but she seems to mind less and less. The trick is being very clear about the fact that, yes, you intend to keep doing it, healthy enjoyment is the goal. Also, If you are relatively young (eeeearly 20s or late teens), build a mod. Your family will probably think you're a genius if it works and forget their complaints. ;)

Papagoatee

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2008
I think it's because our love ones see us vaping all the time. Where else with analogs, it's only once in a while and more "natural".

It also does not help that nicotine has been constantly advertised as the main ingredient in analogs, hence people assumed that cigarettes = nicotine.

My wifey still gets annoyed when I vape, even when I throw the facts at her that e-cigs are a much healthier alternative as compared to analogs. I know she is concerned so I just vaped elsewhere and out of her sight.

Doesn't help much too when she sees me on this forum all the time. LOL

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
So, a couple of people have asked me....but only once. I give them tons of information and stats and bore them to tears, and they never, ever ask that particular question again. Then i change the subject, since i only want them to stay away from that question, not want to run away from me. Please note- I don't do this if someone is honestly interested, but if someone is getting into my business I can make sure they never want to go there again.

Reboot

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Southern Maine
You might avoid a lot of heartache if you just say something like "I think I want to try this new thing as an alternative to smoking. It looks like it might be a bit healthier, and a whole lot cheaper."

Those were my exact thoughts when I first found out about vaping and exactly what I told my wife when I brought it up for the first time :D

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I have, and they don't.

Now, Kristin, that's not what I said at all. I do care what JQ Public thinks with respect to their ability to take my rights away from me. I've written my elected officials, and if necessary I will take time off work and travel to march on wherever has been deemed necessary to shout from the rooftops that I will not be quiet while my rights are stripped away.

I also vape in public and have yet to receive a negative reaction. All I've experienced is questions, curiousity, encouragement, and support. Then again, I'm also in a "liberal oasis within a field of conservative" so maybe my experience is slightly different than the majority's.

Jan
I didn't mean to be too harsh on you personally, Jan. I really intended that to go out to people who I figured would follow your comments with "Yeah, it's none of their business and they should stay out of it."

That's a great sentiment, but it's also a pipe dream, lol! ;)

You are lucky your family is so supportive. Unfortunately, your state legislators aren't so accomodating - since they are trying to ban ecigs in your state! LOL

Honestly, I've been lucky too, but my only brother and his wife are vapers, my mom vaped for a bit before quitting nicotine, my husband is a vaper, my mother-in-law...I don't really have anyone against it close to me. But, I'd bet if I asked my non-smoking (yet tolerant) sister-in-law, she figures we're just using these to "quit smoking" - which to most people see as completely "quitting nicotine" altogether.

But I'm seeing more and more people relating that their loved ones/friends/coworkers are pressuring them to quit vaping the same as they did to quit smoking. That is worrisome to me. It kind of shows that more and more people (non-smokers) are seeing see vaping only as a smoking cessation program and not as a valid pastime. I'd like to see vaping as acceptable as having a beer after work or drinking several cups of coffee or cans of pepsi every day.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

Those were my exact thoughts when I first found out about vaping and exactly what I told my wife when I brought it up for the first time
Yep - that was pretty much my point on another thread, which inspired THIS thread, lol! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread