How do you handle those people who....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Hmm, I guess I'm fortunate to have not run into this type of person. I don't associate with jerks, and I certainly do not look like the type of person that appreciates unsolicited opinions, lol. But, should some unsuspecting ding dong wish to share their stupidity, I'd probably just respond in an over the top, excited, yet snarky way: "OMGGGGG! Me, TOO!!! I haven't had a single cigarette since the day I started this! It's SOOO awesome and tasty! Praise G-d, I've been delivered from my demons!"

YOU! get your little .... OVER HERE NOW and clean the sweet tea off my screen!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: No warning or ANYTHING!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
No one has said that to me yet but if they did, I would just say "that's nice".

One day these two fine southern ladies were sitting on the front porch having some iced tea.
One of the women sticks out her hand for Ethel see, and in her long southern drawl says "Look at this ring my husband gave me."
To which Ethel replies, "That's nice."
The first woman then says, "And just last month he took me on one of them Caribbean cruises."
Ethel again replies, "That's nice."
"Well Ethel doesn't your husband ever buy you nice things or send you nice places?"
"Oh", Ethel responds, "When we first got married he did send me to etiquette school."
"Why'd he do that?" the first woman asks.
To which Ethel replies, "Well you see, before, when someone told me about the jewelry their husband gave them, or the trips he sent her on, I would have said "F... You", but now I simply say "That's nice".

Australe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2014
Dover, DE, USA
No one has said that to me yet but if they did, I would just say "that's nice".

One day these two fine southern ladies were sitting on the front porch having some iced tea.
One of the women sticks out her hand for Ethel see, and in her long southern drawl says "Look at this ring my husband gave me."
To which Ethel replies, "That's nice."
The first woman then says, "And just last month he took me on one of them Caribbean cruises."
Ethel again replies, "That's nice."
"Well Ethel doesn't your husband ever buy you nice things or send you nice places?"
"Oh", Ethel responds, "When we first got married he did send me to etiquette school."
"Why'd he do that?" the first woman asks.
To which Ethel replies, "Well you see, before, when someone told me about the jewelry their husband gave them, or the trips he sent her on, I would have said "F... You", but now I simply say "That's nice".

Thats a good one :)

MissKitty47

ECF Veteran
My screen needs a clean too!!

I'm pretty heavily tattoo'd so I don't get approached by too many strangers and my family knows how hard I tried over the years and are overjoyed about me vaping. But I'd say this: well f you too. You want me to DIE?? You just walk up to strangers and tell them that??? What group did you wander away from???

I'm finally old enough to not care about the good opinion of other people, and lucky enough that every person who approaches me about vaping so far is to ask questions. The good kind, lol!

But there are always gonna be the hardcore people, like the old school bikers who insist raingear and heated vests are for sissies. I just grin, a warm toasty grin. Nothing you say gets through anyway.

Sent by my cat through pure magic

T0rtitude

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
NYS
I haven't run into that thankfully. Most people are just happy for me that I no longer smoke. Current smokers are a different story. They tend to be the most judgmental in my experience. I've heard everything from, 'You don't know what's in those things,' to 'I'm pretty sure a couple people have drowned from using those.' The least ridiculous was, 'Nicotine is bad for your arteries.' Well yes, but not any worse than caffeine is for your arteries.

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
used to smoke and quit??? They look down on those of us who have started vaping by saying, "I quit cold turkey," or "What do you need that for?"
They seem to have that "superior" attitude because they didn't rely on anything to help them quit smoking. How do you handle them??
For me the response is easy. I'm vaping instead of smoking, I did the research it's less harmful to me than smoking. It's a hobby. :)

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
So... I'm one of those people who quit cold turkey (it will be 14 years in April). The thing about quitting cold turkey is you HAVE to be ready and you have to find your key. My key was finally understanding that it's not quitting that counts, it's staying quit. Quitting is easy. The hard part is not going back to it. So the key for me was to understand that whenever I quit and then had "just one" it was not a slippery slope. It was a cliff that I was actually choosing to jump off of, with a pack a day at the bottom and a lifetime of smoking ahead. As long as I never picked up another cigarette, I would never smoke again. And it worked... for me. It's not because I'm somehow better, it's just that I found the thing that worked for me - and being six months pregnant gave me more motivation at the outset.

Not everyone is ready for cold turkey. Sure, anyone CAN do it, but it's hard. It's really hard. You really have to be ready and committed for the long term. When you're an addict, readiness and commitment don't come easily. It's really really easy to justify having that one cigarette - you're drinking, you're out with friends, you always smoked at this place, you're having a bad day, your dog died, your girlfriend left you, your boss is a jerk. When you're an addict it's easy to find what seems like a great reason at the time. It was several years before I felt like a non-smoker and not like a smoker who wasn't smoking. Two whole years after I quit, one day I found my hands absently rummaging through the stuff on my desk looking for a cigarette while I was distracted, just out of habit. Two years!

Anyway, some people will always get off on feeling superior. Whether it's their diet, how much they exercise (hell, even the type of exercise!), their religion, their politics, etc. etc. Some people just like feeling stronger or better than others. Just ignore them. Seriously, it's not worth your time. You should be proud that you gave up the cigarettes.

My boyfriend and I both started vaping recently because there were many things we liked about smoking, and vaping lets us "smoke" without all of the things we didn't like. It's a win-win.

Keep up the good work, stay away from the smokes, and celebrate your victories however you achieve them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread