Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
Bugs me when someone is losing an arguement and cuts the other person off with "whatever!"; they could either be gracious and say "you're right", or at least be honest and say "f**ck off"

My favourite come-back, one which I first heard around 12 years ago and which has now been made famous by Mrs Brown, is reply to anything you dislike or think is bull with, "That's Nice", which is self-explanatory to those who have watched the UK TV series Mrs Brown's Boys. To those who haven't, here's the link: That's Nice, Caution, contains strong language.

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
In my youth, I was one of those annoying people who corrected everyone's grammar, usage and spelling without even thinking about it. Now I'm old, I'm tired, and I screw up so often myself that I rarely say anything or even really care much anymore, but there are a few things that still make me crazy inside.

Typing "your" when you mean "you're". Or being too lazy for even that, and just typing "ur". Unless you are a lolcat, it makes you look stupid.

Saying "differnt" when you mean "different".

Saying "artesian" when you mean "artisan".

My brother will repeatedly say the non-word "sublantics" when he's losing an argument, whether it has anything to do with semantics or not.

"Hun". I just hate it, I don't know why.

Speaking in baby talk to adults. My mother insists on calling things "gwooten fwee" instead of "gluten free". I have no idea why, as neither of us even used those words in a sentence until I was 33 years old and diagnosed with "ceweeac" (celiac) disease, and she is not in any way related to Elmer Fudd.

Any variation of the word "poop" or "poo". If you are over the age of five, and you still need to discuss it, you need to stop pretending you're cute- cute people don't talk about excrement in the first place, so just use the actual words instead of the baby talk.

There's more, but I'm probably starting to sound pretty pedantic (and I'm not, I swear!) so I'll quit before I alienate everyone here. I do realize I have plenty of annoying affectations myself, so thankyou (<----that's one of them) for putting up with me so patiently. :)

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
514.jpg

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Just had an encounter with someone who thought your = you're. to the point of argument.

Sad.

I truly believe that such people are sent to us by the Universe to test our capacity for mercy. My real pet peeve is that it isn't legal to physically harm them, although I think the Stand Your Ground defense may apply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread