what words annoy you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
At least, it seems to me, the phrase "you know" said at least a half dozen times with each sentence spoken has fallen by the wayside. :)

... with "like" taking it's place.

"Like, OMG!!! I was like and then he was like, and then, like, we decided to, like, go get something to eat!"

ki77en

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Ohio
lolwut
prolly
idunno

I'm a fan of net lingo, when used in context, but not when you're a foot away from me using the corporate chat.
Have to agree w/ a lot of others on here, too.

Dis and dat
Wanna hook up (hell nah, bro)
Just deal wit it!
lemme get at that
imma takin(g) care of that now

aiight... well, that one comes and goes for me

Spelling... :mad: We have keyboards, even on our phones, and if I'm not mistaken spell check is always on and I believe predictive text is automatically enabled. And how hard can it be to form a proper sentence complete?
JUST SAYIN! (you'll know I'm being sarcastic when I put that in any of my posts)

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
At least, it seems to me, the phrase "you know" said at least a half dozen times with each sentence spoken has fallen by the wayside. :)
In my neck of the woods, "You know" has been replaced by the F word. A while back, I brought it to a woman's attention that she had said the F word (I didn't abbreviate it) THREE times in a single sentence. Slack jawed, she actually made no response and walked away ... as if there was something wrong with ME.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Not bragging, just fact. I have managed to get through 63 years of life without having to use a single 4 letter word. When I am really ticked off the worst I say is "RATS". It is a shame that every other word out of some mouths has to be either negative or 4 lettered.

SilverBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
In my neck of the woods, "You know" has been replaced by the F word. A while back, I brought it to a woman's attention that she had said the F word (I didn't abbreviate it) THREE times in a single sentence. Slack jawed, she actually made no response and walked away ... as if there was something wrong with ME.

Was she really slack jawed and not just a mouth breather? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. They ARE related, but different.

:D

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
mouth breather

Have to when I vape!

OK... like, my bad.
mock.gif

iamtumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
Ooooh forgot one...

Not having to do with abbreviations...but I hate it when people pronounce the word "ask" as "Ax". Or when people can't pronounce spaghetti.

The root of the word "ask" has two forms. ascian (as-ski-an) and acsian (ack-cyan). Ascian was used more often by middle and lower class while acsian was used predominately by the upper class.

mommywoman

May 15, 2012
michigan
My son in law is from England and he calls cigarettes "fags". People that say Illinois as though the last 4 letters refer to noise (makers). The s is silent. Also, people that pronounce Detroit as "Da-tway" or velcro as velcor, or prostate gland as prostrate gland, or urologist as urinologist. or my mother in law who told eveyone she was taking prozac (antidepressant) in stead of prilosec (for acid reflux). Speaking of which, instead of acid reflux she says acid reflex. Instead of uterus, she says utrus. Should I keep going. Also forgive me, my spelling isn't very good any more. Good night all.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
Especially when someone meant moot, but either spelled it or pronounced it as "mute". This violation causes brain cells to explode.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks at work, and recently listened to one read by Burt Reynolds. Man, that guy is hilarious... and annoying.

He did say 'mute point'. He also read about someone checking every minute detail (pronounced like the unit of time), and merlot (with the 'lot' as in parking lot). The thing that drove me crazy the most was in part of the book that takes place in a library, and he always said libary and libarian. It was like he was doing baby talk for a toddler or something.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
"Issue(s)", when the word "problem(s)" is accurate and carries more emphasis.
While I agree "problem" is more accurate than "issue" I eventually got used to the word.
And now that they have taken it a step further, and call them "opportunities" I now long for the days when there were "issues".

Anybody that calls a "problem" an "opportunity" probably has no ability to fix that problem.
Or any problem for that matter.

Douches.

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
While I agree "problem" is more accurate than "issue" I eventually got used to the word.
And now that they have taken it a step further, and call them "opportunities" I now long for the days when there were "issues".

Don't worry- I still have plenty of issues.

Anybody that calls a "problem" an "opportunity" probably has no ability to fix that problem.
Or any problem for that matter.

Douches.

You've given me an excellent opportunity to solve my dusty screen and keyboard issues, but now there's the iced tea everywhere problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread