What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
@Waho: Onyx, for me, is like a med rare filet mignon. Simply perfect! I have 6 cans, vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Bought them before they were no longer allowed to be imported. I recently noticed on BuySnus that they are again available to US customers. Don't know if the recipe changed though.

I've gotten some a few times in the past couple years (BuySnus and SnusCentral). I couldn't comment on a recipe change if there was one.

That bugs me too Roth. When I'm talking with a person I'll set my phone to the side for courtesies sake, and the younger generations (kids 25 and under at work generally) just keep on plugging along with the occasional head jerking up to say "Huh? What?" Drives me nuts.

I worked until 1 am Sunday then got up at 5:30 am to make a concealed carry class on time. I was the only person to ace the written exam, which I thought was embarrassing since it was made up by the NRA (no trick questions, common sense answers) and shot the best groups in the range with next to zero handgun shooting experience compared to some of the folks there (2 Iraq war vets and 4 renewal shooters).

The defensive carry test max distance is 7 yards, I made a nice golf ball sized group with 30 rounds with only one flyer a little low when the guy to my lefts brass bounced off my safety glasses. I guess my long gun experience counts for something even with handguns.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I took a learn to shoot class a few months ago before I bought my first hand gun. The guy that gave me the class showed me some of the targets from a conceal carry class that he taught. Having only shot a hand gun a few times ever, my grouping was better than all but one of the ones he showed me. I was really surprised.

The first time I went to the range by myself, the guy next to me was shooting a high power hand gun and his brass was coming over the wall and hitting me. It made me a little nervous at first.

Reactions: Waho

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Most of the folks in my class looked like they were shooting bird shot at the targets as well.

I've heard my fair share of hot brass stories. I was getting rained on, hitting my hat mostly. I did end up with one down my shirt and a few in my pockets also. My gun I used for the class, Springfield XDm Compact .40S&W, I bought from a friend of a friend. Apparently it's famous for having cleavage seeking brass when he used it.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    One of the guys I work with has the same gun as you. He said he couldn't hit anything with it. I guess he needs more practice. I went shooting with my brother in law in Ohio when I was there in September. We shot about 400 rounds through three guns. That was the most I've ever shot. He's a collector so there was plenty to choose from. I mostly shot a full size S&W MP 9mm. I bought the MP9 compact. It's the first one I've ever had. I need to get to the range to practice more.

Reactions: Waho

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    The .40 will definitely knock you around with 180 grain rounds, especially with the shorter magazines in a compact. I have to take it with the short mag and 165 grain rounds to see if it's controllable enough for me. Might have to trade it for a 9mm otherwise.

I acquired a S&W 686+ 3" .357 magnum not long ago. Talk about getting knocked around. I wouldn't even call what I was shooting groups, especially shooting double action.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    This is my 686+ 7 shot cylinder. Medium frame for better grip and recoil absorbing weight.

Not really a carry gun by any means, but fun to shoot for sure.
    9b97b80587975b2798aa17732195fa63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Nice looking cannon Waho. Works good for clearing small trees if you forget your saw. My dad had the long barrel version before he went with a 9mm for being able to carry it on him without looking like Clint Eastwood. We use to shoot it up at deer camp just for giggles as most of the guys couldn't hit squat with it. Needed a good grip and strong arm or you could end up with a forehead tattoo.

If you get really sick of that mint, I'll take some cans off your hands. I like it but don't use it much so a can usually lasts me about a month. Some cat around here has been buying up the mint from the local stores so it's kind of scarce...

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I've noticed in my area that evidently the mint has gotten popular. Almost every station that I stop at seems to be sold out of it. I don't usually buy it there but do look to see if they have it in case there is a special price on it. It's cheaper to order online when it's normal price at the stations.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yes Hitt, the three kids who lost their father a few weeks ago. All three were here Sunday and Monday and the oldest two are here today as they had in-service days at school. They had bought him a bb revolver sometime in the last few weeks which he can't use at home or at his grandmom's so I've become the guardian and trainer, as well as the keeper of his fathers arsenal until he's old enough to use it. His dad enough ammo to keep the bad guys away for a very long time. Still trying to figure out where to store it- AK, tactical shotgun and some other military rifle from WWII I believe. If the war comes, I'm prepared.

Anyway, they went out yesterday and came home with a Daisy compound bow so it's been a training session for him for two days. I guess this all ties in with the rest of the comments made since I last posted.

Nice shooting Waho! I've never shot a handgun (other than the BB gun on Monday). I've got a gun case filled with competition 22s, a 30/06, 30/30 and a shotgun but I don't even know where the bullets are (took them when dad got sick and didn't want any self medication). I used to shoot competition when I was a kid but just haven't had any desire to kill anything so the guns just sit there. I wouldn't mind having a handgun (oh, I do have a 22 six shooter that was also my fathers) as protection but just never get around to it.

All this talk of handguns and I might need to do more than think about it though. You never know when it might come in handy.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Oops, almost forgot why I even came here. I got an email from someone I filled in a survey for, last year, asking me to do a telephone interview about my quitting smoking. I figured it was about e cigarettes until I got to the bottom and it was from a gal who works for Swedish Match. I called and woke her up in California (she should have mentioned that fact in the email).

It will be on Dr. Brad Rodu sometime in the future. It may be on Monday which would coincide with my 15th year of retirement. We actually had a real nice conversation before we hung up and she could get to her coffee pot.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's really cool about being on the Dr. show.

I never learned to shoot a bow and didn't learn how to shoot a rifle until I went in the army. We didn't have hand guns. Only officers carried those. I didn't really buy a gun for protection but rather for a stress busting activity. The few times that I've gone to shoot at the range, I've been really relaxed the next day. It's an activity that I can go and do on my own and it doesn't eat up a bunch of time although it can get expensive quick if you start buying different ones. I've only had mine a couple months and am already looking at others. I'm still waiting on the merchandise that SW is supposed to be sending as part of the rebate.

firechick

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 24, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I picked us up a couple of S&W range jackets with the concealed carry pockets from McGuire Army Navy at about half the price of most retailers. They're really nice jackets and can handle most of our handguns.

It's been bow/crossbow season for deer for over a month but I haven't had time to get in the blind or stand yet. Hoping I can get out for gun season. I traded my 30.06 to my hubby for his .243 and have a 20 ga semi auto, neither of which have seen a deer yet. I'd really like to change that this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    MI deer firearm season starts in a week. I've been wanting to head back out more and more recently. It was something my Dad and I always did before he passed away, and that took the magic out of it for me. Good memories whenever I pull the old Mossberg 500 out though.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    That sucks Hitt. Been plenty of deer roaming the roads around here running into cars. I see a bunch every morning on the way to work, so I've been lucky but I probably just jinxed myself. The inlaws are big into hunting, own property, enough guns to arm a small revolution... I never got into it outside of some small game hunting when I was younger but both my boys love it and have passed their hunter safety courses. Both have shot deer in the last couple of years and we'll be headed up to give it another try over Thanksgiving. Usually a fun trip, I just hang out in the blind with one of them, drink beer and play look out. Gives the wife a chance to spend time with her mom and sister and get some Christmas shopping done.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    For some reason, traffic had come to a stop on the highway and he didn't stop in time.

My youngest daughter signed up for too many advanced classes in school this year and is really struggling. We had a pretty heated discussion last night and she walked out of the room in tears. I know she's a smart person and really feel like she's not putting forth the effort that she could to do better. I will be plenty upset if her grades drop enough that we lose the good student discount on her car insurance. I'm already paying way too much for her insurance and am not ready to accept an increase. I of course want to see her do well and I am concerned about her keeping her grades up to get in to college. She has a D in two classes right now and A's and B's in everything else. She is too smart to be getting D's.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I could have died in an accident like that 17/18 years ago. Had a half day on Friday and was heading up the turnpike thinking about the weekend. When I realized I was headed to the back end of a tractor trailer at 70 I glanced fast in my rear view mirror and swung left staying off the guard rail with momentary relief until I saw the left lane filled from the front of the truck. I slammed the brakes and still see the fave of the truck driver as I passed his window and came to a stop a foot short of the stopped car. Luckiest day of my life.

Your poor daughter sounds like she bit off more than she should have. I can't imagine battling out of a hole like that. I only once was in serious trouble and that was a macro economics course in college. The mid term was the day Bobby Kennedy was shot and the third test of the day. We got word of the shooting something like 2 in the morning and I had just started cramming for the test when we heard and I really never finished. When you only have two tests a term, that's hard to recover from. She's really going to need to work to get them respectable.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I can't imagine being in an accident like that. I talked to him today and he said he was standing on the brake so the airbag hit him in the chest instead of the face.

I came home tonight and helped her with her algebra homework. Luckily it was something I remembered how to do. I had a college algebra teacher that was much like the one she has now. She rushes them and doesn't want to take the time to explain things well enough so that everyone can understand. There are two genius level kids and one who's dad is a math teacher in her class that are doing well and everyone else is struggling.

Users who are viewing this thread