What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Sorry to hear that Roth.
I'm not quite at the stage where my friends are reaching the end of the path. But my dad, who turned 76 today, is and sometimes it's hard for him. Friends he's had his whole life are suddenly fading and it makes him think of his own mortality. But he keeps plugging along with my mom and thank God for her. I don't think he'd know what to do without her as she's his rock. But it is sad when he got a new car last year and said it'll probably be the last one he'll ever own. I try not to think about it Roth as we're only given a certain amount of time on this dirt ball and we can only do the best we can while we're here. I hate to use the phrase that it is God's will as I'm not much of a believer in the afterlife but it is something's will on how long we get to stick around. Just have to enjoy it while we're here and do our best to celebrate and remember those who don't make it as far as we do.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    My father in law is 85 and still drives and gets around fine. He trades cars every few years so he's always in a new one. You should tell your dad to get a new one every couple years until he can't drive. My dad had a car and a truck in his garage after he couldn't drive any more. My nephew bought the car and the truck was sold at auction with the rest of his stuff. It's been a year and a half and the lawyer is just now about to finalize everything. There really isn't much of anything left after all the medical bills and stuff are paid but I wasn't expecting anything anyway.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    My mom and her brothers were naturally expected as all reached their late 8os into the second half of their 90s, but the rest have been all way too soon. Of my four best friends from HS, only one is left and they all died before 65, from 23 (Navy mid air plane crash) to 50 and 61. Of the three people I considered my best friend in adult life, the first one died right after she turned 40 (she's the one that told me about the opening for a supervisor's job where I retired from) and possibly Todd now around 60.

I'm hoping he pulls through but it will take a miracle. I almost collapsed when I got to the hospital today. I didn't realize how close he was until I got there and I almost collapsed at first contact. I think it will be a miracle if he's still with us by Sunday when I said I'd be back. They took him off the respirator and he was breathing very labored for the over four hours I was there. I wanted to get on the road so that there'd still be some daylight until I at least got back into PA where I knew the roads and I just made it before nightfall on the two plus hour trek.

The weirdest thing was as I passed the house of a friend of both of us, who had died suddenly around the age of 60, when I was almost home, a deer jumped in front of me. I swerved hard left then right and watched his/her .... and listened for the crunch of metal that never came. I had to have only missed by inches. You're right Rebel, your mortality gets very real now. My father passed when he was 77 which I'm 5 1/2 years from now.

• Optimistic

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yes, two hours after I left the hospital. I'm so glad I left too. I'm not sure if I could have made the drive home safely, although knowing Todd, he would have been there to lend a hand. Not sure if you saw my post on FB about what happen after I left the hospital so I'll copy it here. I'm just hoping this weight lifts quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left the hospital last evening somewhere around 5:30 with a promise to his unconscious self that I'd return Sunday, fully knowing that he probably wouldn't be with us that long. I was numb and worried about the two hour ride in the rain after dark and figured I could get to roads I was familiar with before night fell.

I stopped at a Wawa and grabbed a hot dog and one of Wawa's bottled cappuccinos eat it and got on the road. How I ate up an extra hour, I'm not quite sure but it was a bit before 8:30 I pulled into my drive.

A few minutes before I got home, I was negotiating Swamp Creek Road, a twisty thoroughfare that runs along the Unami below my house.

I came up on the former home of Ken Foesig who had passed away years earlier at around 60. He was a friend of Todd well before I had met him so, by association we also became friends.

I thought about that association briefly but was startled out of that thought as a deer suddenly dashed in front of my new to me Escape. I swerved quickly left then hard right, expecting to hear the bending of medal. After pulling back right. I saw the hind quarters of that deer in front of my right headlight, and then gone from my view.

For a brief moment I was in shock that the day hadn't ended worse than it began. And in that same moment, I asked myself of what the significance was? Could it be that this was a day of close calls that somehow ended safely?

I got home and sent a PM to Todd's daughter who has now lost both her parents within a couple years and decided to do what I rarely do at home, pour myself a scotch. I have only drank scotch on rare occasions, usually at my sister's house around Christmas, but it was my drink of choice when Todd and I had our decades of brotherhood.

I got in front of my PC and a message from his wife popped up that he had passed quietly that evening. I wrote back with my thoughts and I asked what time he left us. It was very close to an hour before that deer crossed my path that I somehow avoided.

As I wrote this note, I still couldn't believe I had avoided that deer and thought maybe I just didn't hear a slight hit. I went out to check the front of my Escape, just to make sure. No damage however on the left side of my bumper, where I first saw the deer cross my path, there were two hairs, one long and strong, the other, very fragile.

I placed them in a brush to hold them as I wanted to take a picture on the deck we built together. After grabbing my phone, I went back to the brush to get the hairs. Somehow the fragile one was gone.

I never finished that scotch. Perhaps we'll tip glasses again, some day.

• Love

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Anna, I know, it was just so surreal. What's even more surreal is that today I started a quest I promised to undertake. His wife told me he wanted his American Legion Post to be notified in the event he passed away. This wasn't recently and she hadn't thought about it until he was unconscious on his death bed.

I took off this morning and went to a Legion I thought might be one he joined but really had no idea since we never went to one or talked about the Legion in all the time I knew him. There was a range of about 30 miles of Posts that I thought he might have joined between wives (he was married three times).

I got the name of the person at that post and called her, she said she'd check and get back to me. I told her I thought it could be any of the nearly half dozen in the range.

When I got home, I thought about it a bit more and thought maybe his second wife might have known so I sent her a PM. When she got back to me I was shocked. At first she couldn't remember the town, but it was close to "Ken's camp". Ken was the fellow that past away probablt a half dozen years ago whose house I had passed just before the deer jumped out. It just got weirder.

I didn't even know Ken had a hunting camp and it was nowhere near this area, so far north in PA it was a short trip into NY. They had a FB page and I was able to send a PM to them and got a response that they'd check.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well, another problem solved. On Sunday some posted that they had some firewood available for free and I made arrangements to go take a look at it. I found out that we had common friends and there really wasn't much firewood, just a bunch of branches from an ash tree that had been taken down and 5 or 6 rounds.

I thought about it a bit and decided she'd probably have a hard time getting someone to do it for the $50 she was offering and I needed something to keep my mind focused on something other than last week.

I hooked up the trailer to my Escape and nothing but running lights. I knew I had a dentist appointment today so I wanted to get over there on Monday. It turned out to be the hottest day of the year so far, into the 80s, and after bringing two loads of cut up branches I was beat. Tuesday was better as it was cooler and I was able to clean it all up in two more loads but my back was worn out.

After the dental appointment I got home, dug up a couple sets of jumper cables and used a garden tractor 12 volt to test the connections. I never thought of doing that in the past, I just fumbled around till I found the problem. In about 3 minutes I had determined that the left signal had a funky connection. Not quite sure why that affected everything else but the minute I wiggled the wires around a bit in that light, everything was working. I'll take it apart tomorrow and see why it isn't a good connection.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    If the lights are running in series then a bad connection at one can cause the rest to not work. I've never wired a trailer but can imagine that they probably use a frame ground so maybe it's just a bad ground connection.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I said screw it and ordered some cheap, well rated LEDs. You're right, they are frame grounded and they've been a PIA since the first instance, the right one. That only effected the right light. The left one took out all of them. The ones I ordered have the ground wire screwed to the frame.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah Hitt, I'm going to do all that on putting the new lights on. The trailer is now probably 8-10 years old and after playing with the right one and now this one, I wasn't happy with the lights anyway. After watching how bright LEDs are compared to the old bulbs, I just want a bit more safety.

It kind of reminds me of some of the older motorcycles, particularly Harleys. They've got some pretty lame lights in their back ends that I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on.

One thing I was wondering was how many drivers understand hand signals these days.

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    firstly, sorry for your loss :(

and, i have a snus question

it relates to oden's extreme portions. Is it just me, or does the strength of these seem to be mostly nicotine, with less minor alkaloids?
    I've kinda settled mostly on medium strengths, since things like goteborgs or ving seem to give more "Aaaaahhhhhh" relax feels?

dunno, just puzzling for me

Users who are viewing this thread