What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Michigan went on lock down last night at midnight. All non essential employees are to stay home. My company is considered essential due to it being automotive, but my department is small and my boss decided we should work from home until the lock down is lifted. Looks like I get to veg for a few weeks with the kids. Not sure if we'll all survive this close exposure, but I know I will. ;)

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
We're considered non essential over on production side, and our union is saying we'll be off as long as the shelter in place order is valid. So to are the remodel folks, so thank god we've got everything installed and functional, just needs some trim work and finishing touches.

I drove to 11 stores looking for toilet paper yesterday. I finally found a little hole in the wall mom and pop pharmacy in the next town over that had 6 individual rolls available. I bought two because I'm not out to screw the next guy.

Shortly after I got home, my wife's grandma who lives a few miles away called and said she drove around for toilet paper the day before and heavily played up her image. Little old frail, white haired, walker bound (she doesn't need it, she's a hell of an actor though) lady wearing a surgical mask/gloves just looking for toilet paper among all this calamity. Apparently people bent over backwards to get out of her way and make sure she got all the paper products she could ever need. She was going to sneak in our driveway and drop a big package of toilet paper off with a secret admirer note to mess with us, but was worried someone would steal it. So if we need the paper, she said call her, she'd put a package in the garage and she'll open the garage door when we get there so we don't possibly infect each other. I don't think it'll come to that, but if it does I'll have to get her some sort of cast bronze statue of her wearing a cape made of toilet paper as a thank you.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    We're considered non essential over on production side, and our union is saying we'll be off as long as the shelter in place order is valid. So to are the remodel folks, so thank god we've got everything installed and functional, just needs some trim work and finishing touches.

I drove to 11 stores looking for toilet paper yesterday. I finally found a little hole in the wall mom and pop pharmacy in the next town over that had 6 individual rolls available. I bought two because I'm not out to screw the next guy.

Shortly after I got home, my wife's grandma who lives a few miles away called and said she drove around for toilet paper the day before and heavily played up her image. Little old frail, white haired, walker bound (she doesn't need it, she's a hell of an actor though) lady wearing a surgical mask/gloves just looking for toilet paper among all this calamity. Apparently people bent over backwards to get out of her way and make sure she got all the paper products she could ever need. She was going to sneak in our driveway and drop a big package of toilet paper off with a secret admirer note to mess with us, but was worried someone would steal it. So if we need the paper, she said call her, she'd put a package in the garage and she'll open the garage door when we get there so we don't possibly infect each other. I don't think it'll come to that, but if it does I'll have to get her some sort of cast bronze statue of her wearing a cape made of toilet paper as a thank you.

She sounds a lot like my father in law. He's 85 and has been driving around buying toilet paper. He said if we need any to just say the word. We should be ok. A neighborhood lady gave us a pack because she forgot that she had a bulk pack in her sub basement and had bought another. We were down to one roll besides what was on the holders in the bathrooms before that. I was able to order a couple small packs online but won't be here until the beginning of April. We should be ok for some time with that.

I kind of thought we were but my boss came in yesterday and let me know for sure that we are considered an essential business and passed out letters stating that we are critical industry employees. A couple of guys here are .... hurt that we have to work but I told them that if we don't work then we don't get paid.

Reactions: Burnie

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    One of the few benefits of being salary is being paid even if I'm not in the office. No overtime but at least I get the same check working from home. I have my laptop and really that's all I need at this point. Should save me some gas money but with the way those prices are nose diving, it won't be a windfall. We order bulk toilet paper for work and there was almost a full box of a 100 rolls so I helped myself to a few to get us through until the stores catch up.

I try to keep politics out of forums but you'd think with the world going to hell they could figure out how to work with each other to help Americans instead of trying to line their own pockets. George Washington and the founding fathers must be rolling in their graves. A government of the people for the people my azz...

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, they were figuring they'd be able to sit at home and get the US government (We the People) to pay their wages.

They need to open up business and get this economy moving again. We appear to be getting some help for those afflicted and we know what needs to be done to be as safe as possible. I just heard that Trump is planning on getting it opened by Easter. It has to be done.

I'm in the at risk category but I'd rather that than seeing everyone buried into a depression. That is on the horizon unless we get past this. Get masks available for those at risk and make financial allowances for those at risk in a working situation. I'd guess most at risk are of retirement age and, quite frankly, we should be willing to accept that and adjust our lives to make things as safe as possible for ourselves.

I made up a batch of hand sanitizer, good thing I had 91% alc and VG around because finding them is impossible right now. I also has 70% alc which I can use straight if needed.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    One of our drivers that has been whining about having to work during the virus outbreak. He was fine this morning then called in half way through his delivery route and said that he had a fever and wasn't feeling well. Then he proceeded to make a delivery and tell a customer to stay away from him that he wasn't feeling well. The customer called our owner and told him he didn't want that guy anywhere near his building. It's sad but we are all pretty sure that he's just trying to get some paid time off. If he was really sick, then why did he come back to work and put on a big show?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, he should be contacting a doctor and be checked out. He could be being honest or, well, you know.

I need to vent a bit. My live in had gotten some bit coin when her nephew passed away. He had bought some early and and I was able to go through his computer files and find some of what he had bought, not sure if it was all, just a few thousand dollars worth. I had found an email where he was looking to but some that, if found, would have been worth millions but tracking it came to a dead end.

Anyway, Her sister and wife decided to split it up between themselves and her since she had spent months taking care of her nephew while her sister was at work.

She had spent most of it going out to Washington a couple times but had a couple thousand left before the virus hit and, like the stock market, dropped nearly 50%.

Somehow she started texting a couple scammers and she wanted me to check it out. You know the old, if it looks to good to be true...... I thought I had her off the thought.

Yesterday I was out cutting out rounds from the tree that fell at my neighbors a couple months ago and came in after I was done. I hear her from the bedroom calling for me to come and help her.

I said I'll be in after I check my email. She comes into the living room shaking and crying and says she needs my help now. She didn't listen to me and sent $100 in bitcoin, then another amount then another. I didn't add it up but I think she lost somewhere between $500 and $700 and he was still trying to scam her out of the last $400 as a "maintenance fee" that she'd get back in her "profits".

Well, needless to say, I wasn't very sympathetic or empathetic. Gee typing those words I realized both included pathetic in them, which she was. Anyone that thinks you're going to turn $100 into over $1k in 24 hours or, as the other guy claimed in a week, is just that.

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    Well Dam, my credit card got hacked this morning :( I have it set to text me anytime there is a charge, and at 8:54 this morning I got a text it was used at sneakersnstuff for $400 :shock: I was only about 1 mile from the office so went to call the credit card company. In the next 45 minutes of me trying to get hold of someone to help me, 3 more charges came through, fortunately the security department caught that something was wrong and blocked those charges. After close to an hour on the phone, card was canceled, and bogus charges were flagged for removal, now to wait 7 to 10 days to get a new card. This is the card I use for my business purchases, so it is going to be a PITA for the next couple of weeks. Sorry, just wanted to vent a little.... :rolleyes:

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Well Dam, my credit card got hacked this morning :( I have it set to text me anytime there is a charge, and at 8:54 this morning I got a text it was used at sneakersnstuff for $400 :shock: I was only about 1 mile from the office so went to call the credit card company. In the next 45 minutes of me trying to get hold of someone to help me, 3 more charges came through, fortunately the security department caught that something was wrong and blocked those charges. After close to an hour on the phone, card was canceled, and bogus charges were flagged for removal, now to wait 7 to 10 days to get a new card. This is the card I use for my business purchases, so it is going to be a PITA for the next couple of weeks. Sorry, just wanted to vent a little.... :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. My debit visa got hacked a week or so ago. I called my bank and asked them if they could send it quicker and they did. It might be worth a phone call to them. Just tell them you need it for your business and maybe they will send it next day.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Hitt, he should be contacting a doctor and be checked out. He could be being honest or, well, you know.

I need to vent a bit. My live in had gotten some bit coin when her nephew passed away. He had bought some early and and I was able to go through his computer files and find some of what he had bought, not sure if it was all, just a few thousand dollars worth. I had found an email where he was looking to but some that, if found, would have been worth millions but tracking it came to a dead end.

Anyway, Her sister and wife decided to split it up between themselves and her since she had spent months taking care of her nephew while her sister was at work.

She had spent most of it going out to Washington a couple times but had a couple thousand left before the virus hit and, like the stock market, dropped nearly 50%.

Somehow she started texting a couple scammers and she wanted me to check it out. You know the old, if it looks to good to be true...... I thought I had her off the thought.

Yesterday I was out cutting out rounds from the tree that fell at my neighbors a couple months ago and came in after I was done. I hear her from the bedroom calling for me to come and help her.

I said I'll be in after I check my email. She comes into the living room shaking and crying and says she needs my help now. She didn't listen to me and sent $100 in bitcoin, then another amount then another. I didn't add it up but I think she lost somewhere between $500 and $700 and he was still trying to scam her out of the last $400 as a "maintenance fee" that she'd get back in her "profits".

Well, needless to say, I wasn't very sympathetic or empathetic. Gee typing those words I realized both included pathetic in them, which she was. Anyone that thinks you're going to turn $100 into over $1k in 24 hours or, as the other guy claimed in a week, is just that.

He called in sick the next day and said that he had pneumonia. I honestly don't believe him but whatever. At least he's not here to worry about. For his sake, he better have some kind of doctor's note when/if he returns.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    So our company has started putting employees out on furlough in order to save cash. The joys of working for a public company, have to keep the shareholders happy. Luckily our department wasn't affected but me and three other department members were asked to drop to a three day week and then use two days of PTO to cover the rest of the week. Not much I can do about it, have to think about the family, mortgage, bills. Good thing I haven't used a day of my PTO yet this year so it at least gets me into late June before I would have to explore getting under employment benefits. Unfortunately that would leave me with no vacation time for the rest of the year but at least I'll still have a job. Up side, down side. Let's just hope this economy doesn't eat a crap sandwich and drag out into fall.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    The solution Trump has been selling, the combo of hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic called azithromycin, is being used more and more as the go to where the idiots are stopping the doctors because it hasn't gone through the FDA's "safe and effective" hoops.

More and more doctors are reporting the success they've had and some are using it themselves as a preventative. I say when you're up to you .... in alligators you shouldn't be worrying about draining the swamp.

Unless they find an effective treatment in the near term, this is going to be a long term issue until the FDA gets around to giving their blessing. I'll tell you one thing, if I come down with it, I'm going to be demanding that combo and I'll use the abortion rights slogan, "my body, my choice".

Users who are viewing this thread