hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Afternoon folks. I am on lunch break at work and was thinking that this thread has been too quiet. I have mixed up things in my regular snus rotation and have been using more jakobsson strong mint and got a roll of general onyx silver. I'm very much enjoying the onyx for a change of pace. I still haven't really found a good replacement for the thunder raspberry but still have a fair amount left in the freezer. I keep hoping they either come back out with it or let us buy the chew bags in the US.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Totally off topic other than I had snus under my lip while working. lol

I had bought the HF Bauer chain saw this winter (to get limbs off the neighbor's house. I also had bought the hedge trimmer, since they all use the same batteries, which became invaluable as the forest continues to attempt to remove the interloper (me). I've got thorny bushes that keep attacking my property. Some have edible berries that I like. The others are just thorny, Dragging around electric cords suck so I let them go and they certainly did. I started fighting back with the battery driven trimmer, They're going to lose.

Anyway, I found that the savages of winter had separated a 7-8" branch off a maple tree close to the house and separated it from the trunk. It was laying on top of other limbs, all of which were being pressed down on my three year old roof. Corrective action was needed immediately.

My original thought was use my little giant ladder but 17' wasn't tall enough to attack anywhere that made sense. I was able to get a tall step ladder up to the ends of branches and started cutting away. My pruning shears had seen their better days so I ordered new ones and used the Bauer chainsaw where I shouldn't. That led to throwing the chain 4 or 5 times but I got through it.

I couldn't believe how valuable that little saw was. I had to get up on the roof to cut a few limbs that required one hand operation. In one battery and a bit of a second, I had the limb out of the tree (although I had a scary moment on the step ladder where the broken limb almost let loose with me in line of the drop) and cut up into either trash or firewood. Anyone looking for a user friendly tool to deal with tree limbs, this is it. I had a number of cuts that I needed to make one handed and this old man could handle it.

What I couldn't handle was getting up on the roof. When I first bought the house, I was up on the steepest areas of the roof. Not necessarily comfortable but cautiously capable. The one area that was no big deal was the roof over the bedrooms. I think that roof is something like a 5/12, pretty mild as far as I'm concerned. Well

I got up there and I couldn't stand up. I can't be more than two or three years ago that I had no problem, even took a heavy electric snake up to clear out a plumbing issue, not this time.

I didn't feel comfortable trying to stand up, the knees are shot. I have officially declared myself an old man. lol

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I’ve used a cordless weed eater and blower for years. I’ve got a small yard and a gas unit would be a waste. The only thing I use that is a plug in unit is a toro leaf vacuum that I use 2-3 times a year in the fall.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Meh I have decided to die young and leave a beautiful corpse at whatever age I am. It can be more of an attitude.

It has been some time however, since I climbed on a roof, and let alone to do WORK. I don't believe anyone would ALLOW me to do that, and they would be correct in their assessment.

I used to climb on the roof as an adolescent during stormy storms, it was great. Then my parents explained lightning and conductivity and it was no longer allowed. Still think it was a shame. LOL.
    Anna

I knew about lightning and stuff, just wasn't putting it together. My dad asked if I would like a nice long metal pole to hold on to.... LOL parents can be such (insert whatever.)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I’ve never been really good with heights but got worse after I fell and broke my foot. Six months without wearing a shoe on one foot left a lasting impression on me. I went and bought a ladder stabilizer a couple years ago when I needed to replace some trim boards on the side of my house. I still won’t go to the top of my 28’ ladder. I used to hang Xmas lights on the peak which is as tall as me standing on the top rung of that ladder on my tip toes. Never again.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I had a 40 ft ladder at my first house as a young buck just out of the Army, wooden at that. I'm sure I couldn't throw that around anymore. I just left it at the house when I moved out.

The property was a twin with a carriage house behind that we lived in and rented out the twin. I was trying to sell real estate at the time and bought it to get out of my in-laws and to sell something and earn a commission, LOL, since I hadn't sold anything in the six months since I got out.

The twin was somewhere around 38 foot to the peak and I went about painting it. I was up about 30 feet when I realized I hadn't got the hooks on the rung and it started dropping.

My tenant was sitting in the yard sunning and I can't imagine what she thought as I cursed my way down. All I could think was stay balanced. I must have road that ladder down some ten rungs until my feet the drop. I learned to always make sure the ladder was secure after that and got an aluminum 22' which was high enough for the next house. I also put a stabilizer on it that I have today plus leg levelers.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    snus covid.png
    From
    Bengt WibergCEO & patent holder of Sting Free Snus

"US health authorities seem to be hiding info on underlying conditions of #COVID19 patients. Underlying conditions including smoking. I'm sure it's for our own good."

- quote by Charles A. Gardner PhD

In Sweden, men are underrepresented among Sweden's #COVID19 confirmed cases. The Swedish public health organization does not systematically ask #Corona infected on background data such as various forms of #nicotine use, or no nicotine use. Since Sweden has the world's largest rate of #snus using population and the fact that the snus use rate (%) of the Swedish population is known, would it not be interesting to know if snus users are over- or under-represented among confirmed COVID-19 cases?

The reason for the above is that nicotine users (smokers) seem to be greatly underrepresented in several studies and a French science team is now starting clinical trials with nicotine patches and placebo to see if the nicotine in itself can have effects on COVID-19.

A recent article as commented by PhD Gardner on Twitter as why background data is hidden. Read the article here:

https://www.insidesources.com/where-did-all-the-smokers-go/

The diagram in the picture has (probably) no scientific relevance at all but with more background data on Sweden's COVID-19 cases, important facts can perhaps be learned.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Interesting. I remember reading something about how tobacco smokers were under represented in the total number of covid cases, but slightly over represented in the number of deaths. Suggesting smokers were less likely to catch it, but more likely to succumb to it. Whether it's due to something about tobacco/nicotine or simply spending half your lunch break outside away from people, it's certainly interesting data. I'll see if I can't dig up what I read.

Another interesting note, my wife's grandmother got super sick in February. So much so that she suggested my brother in law stay with us for a week so he wouldn't catch what she had. Her doctor just gave her some antibiotics at the time. Last week she went back to the doc and he suggested a covid antibody test to see if that's what she had. She got the results Friday and it did show the covid antibodies. He said that it doesn't necessarily mean she had it, but that she at least came in contact with it. If she did have it it's a miracle that none of us caught it since we were all over there at least once checking up on her.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I climb mountains but it is with a lot of gear. I have really bad vertigo but I did it to challenge me. I have learned the key is to NOT look down.

You could not get me on a ladder though, let alone painting something. NO thank you. Ladders are the root of all evil.

You know that myth about falling dreams, if you hit the ground in the dream you die? I am here to say that is not TRUE but like, well, when I hit the ground in my dreams it HURT and then I woke up.

I used to fall down stairs a lot. One nice thing about AZ is like for the most part, no basements and no upstairs. I get the basement part, but I'm happy about no second floors. I don't get that part but maybe you NEED a basement for a second floor. All I know about houses is I want to freaking SELL the one I got and move safely and quietly to a new location. LOL.

Anna

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Our dryer wasn’t drying very well so I pulled the dryer out and cleaned the vent pipe as good as I could. I didn’t have a cleaning kit so used my wire pulling fish tape and snaked the vent pipe. Some brain surgeon that built the house has the pipe with a 90 as soon as it goes into the wall and up the wall and another 90 to the exit vent. I got quite a bit out but wasn’t satisfied so I took a high power toro blower vac and sealed around the pipe. I turned it on high and it looked like it was snowing outside. It’s kind of a redneck way to do it but feel like it cleaned it out well. There’s no way I was climbing on the roof to clean it from outside.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    What a day! A couple weeks ago I broke another tooth. I called on Monday since we are supposed to open up on Friday from Covid. It turns out they opened up two days a week last week and scheduled me for 3:30 today.

Around 10:30 I took the dog out as it was getting dark and rain was expected. Got the mail, he did his thing and we went inside. Power went out and it started pouring. The rain only lasted half an hour but no electric and I had three days of dirt on me.

Called a friend and found they had electric and water. Left to go there a tree down across the road to my right, went left and a bigger tree down but it only took out half the road. It turned out two trees had fell across the road to my right. Also the tree where the big branch had broke last year, another broke off when I was gone. Don't know if it fell luckily into the woods or the township cleared it off. By the time I got home the trees were off the road but the electric was still off.

Grabbed gas cans for the generator and I finally, after an hour, found a gas station that had electric. Found out that 500k homes got knocked out and, hopefully, we'll have electric my noon tomorrow but who knows.

With no water, I'm just hoping this hole in my jaw heals nice.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    What a day! A couple weeks ago I broke another tooth. I called on Monday since we are supposed to open up on Friday from Covid. It turns out they opened up two days a week last week and scheduled me for 3:30 today.

Around 10:30 I took the dog out as it was getting dark and rain was expected. Got the mail, he did his thing and we went inside. Power went out and it started pouring. The rain only lasted half an hour but no electric and I had three days of dirt on me.

Called a friend and found they had electric and water. Left to go there a tree down across the road to my right, went left and a bigger tree down but it only took out half the road. It turned out two trees had fell across the road to my right. Also the tree where the big branch had broke last year, another broke off when I was gone. Don't know if it fell luckily into the woods or the township cleared it off. By the time I got home the trees were off the road but the electric was still off.

Grabbed gas cans for the generator and I finally, after an hour, found a gas station that had electric. Found out that 500k homes got knocked out and, hopefully, we'll have electric my noon tomorrow but who knows.

With no water, I'm just hoping this hole in my jaw heals nice.

That was a rough day. I had a bad one yesterday. My daughters MacBook shot craps and the repair shop wanted $550 to repair it. I told her to pick it up and we’ll look at getting a new one. Also my wife said the ac was having a hard time keeping up. I cleaned the coils outside and put a new filter in even though it was just a couple weeks old. The force of the air coming out just doesn’t seem strong enough but the air is cold and nothing is frozen. I don’t feel like messing with it any more and had her call an hvac tech to come out Tuesday. I also found out that my youngest daughters friend backed out on being her roommate in an apartment so now her rent is going to be more expensive at a different place. It will still be cheaper by a lot than staying in the dorm.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I stayed in the dorms two years and found roommates for an apartment that was certainly nicer and a lot cheaper particularly getting rid of the meal plan that was only somewhat used. I went thru the roommate thing though as we were six my Junior year and only me my Senior, the whole group bailed during the summer. One went to the "summer of love" in SF (the idiot walked two weeks before the end of the term no less, often wonder what happened to him), three quit school and the last went back to the dorms.

I had to make a trip to State College and negotiate my way out of the contract. It cost me a couple hundred but better than trying to find 5 roommates and the cost if I didn't. I think the rent was $600 at the time and you were renting for a year so you had to pay for 52 weeks in the length of a school year or pay while you weren't there. As I'm writing this I think that's what I had negotiated, the summer months.

Of course when I got there in the fall I felt ripped off since the town had condemned hundreds of apartments and I spent the day running around trying to find someone that needed a roommate. Big headache that day. There were a few hundred that spent the entire year in tents on Old Main, the admin building. It gets really, really cold there in the winter with plenty of snow. It certainly would have been something to write a book about.

Users who are viewing this thread