When 5V really isn't 5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
A 1A wall adaptor is too low for true 5v vaping. The Kensignton is marginal and won't keep up to a 510 or a 401. You require between 1.4a to just over 2.0a depending on which model atomizer (resistance varies significantly between models and brands) you are running.

I think the basic problem with all these discussions is that we all try to rate the devices in terms of voltage. There can be a world of difference between different 5 volt devices. We should really be talking in terms of power. For instance...a simple 5v device with 2 bats will provide 6.9w of power for a 3.6ohm 801 atomizer but has to crank out 9.3w of power just by switching to a 2.7ohm 510 atomizer. Both are still 5v vaping, but there is a significant difference in the amount of power being drawn from the battery.

As a result, current sag from battery sources will be higher when using 510 atomizers than with say a 801 which typically has much higher resistance. Multiple bats or larger bats will reduce this effect.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
To clarify the above post a little:

Most computer USB's won't supply more than 0.5a to a dumb USB device like our ecigs. You will see a reduced voltage or the computer will cut off the port.

If you use a Kensignton at 1.5a you will get close to real 5v vaping depending on the model of atomizer. (510 bad, 810 good)

A 5v 3a AC powered USB will provide full 5v vaping for all atomizers.

Hope this helps.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
If you use a Kensignton at 1.5a you will get close to real 5v vaping depending on the model of atomizer. (510 bad, 810 good)

A 5v 3a AC powered USB will provide full 5v vaping for all atomizers.

Well, the real limit on my PT is the 28 guage cable wiring. The voltage drop accross that cable is probably to blame. Most companies that produce external devices that are charged by USB have much shorter cables and might even have larger conductors as well. But for now I am happy with the lower voltage.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
To clarify the above post a little:

Most computer USB's won't supply more than 0.5a to a dumb USB device like our ecigs. You will see a reduced voltage or the computer will cut off the port.

Nuck, modern USB ports do support higher.

In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the USB specification. A host or hub charger can supply maximum 1.5 A when communicating at low-speed or full-speed, maximum 900 mA when communicating at hi-speed, no upper current limit when no communication is taking place.

Taken directly from wikipedia.

Kevin

TDM

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
I understand. I actually connect the pass through to a Kensington power pack and I connect it to the PC. Safer in my book.

Kevin

I actually connect the pass through to a Kensington power pack and I connect it to the wall charger. Safest in my book. Why connect any chargers to a computer. one short in the $30 kensington takes out a $1500 laptop.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Kinda lookin to put it into my computer.:lol:

I've read extensively about the PS USBpass and I came to the conclusion that you cannot use it with your PC. That it would either be hazardous or not functional, or both. I purchased the USBpass a long with a wall adapter that was only 3.95 with shipping that puts out 5v 2amps, which should run it at an optimal voltage.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I've read extensively about the PS USBpass and I came to the conclusion that you cannot use it with your PC. That it would either be hazardous or not functional, or both. I purchased the USBpass a long with a wall adapter that was only 3.95 with shipping that puts out 5v 2amps, which should run it at an optimal voltage.

Sounds like good advice to me.

Kevin

M3Tyler

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
So. Cal

To add to this, you can purchase the wall adapter he's referring to here for $3.95 shipped;

Please note that it will only supply 2amps/5v using ONE of the two USB ports, using both will only give you 1.5amps roughly.

USB Dual Power Adapter

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
My computer works fine with it, then again i have a stupid high end computer, with a ridiculous power supply, so that might have something to do with it.

If your computer doesn't regulate output to its USB ports, then yeah you are gonna have issues.

Gibby

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
My computer works fine with it, then again i have a stupid high end computer, with a ridiculous power supply, so that might have something to do with it.

If your computer doesn't regulate output to its USB ports, then yeah you are gonna have issues.

Gibby

Gibby, the only problem I have with using a PC USB port is what could happen in the event of an atomizer short. It could be disasterous for the PC you are plugged into. I know that this is rare but it is possible.

Using my method, using the Kensington battery acting as a buffer, would trip the circuit and revent damage to anything. Using the AC/USB adapter you might lose a 4.00 piece of equipment. Your PC motherboard is a lot more expensive.

Kevin

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Gibby, the only problem I have with using a PC USB port is what could happen in the event of an atomizer short. It could be disasterous for the PC you are plugged into. I know that this is rare but it is possible.

Using my method, using the Kensington battery acting as a buffer, would trip the circuit and revent damage to anything. Using the AC/USB adapter you might lose a 4.00 piece of equipment. Your PC motherboard is a lot more expensive.

Kevin
Yeah you are right, there is a bit of risk there.

Gibby

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
There's no way I'm plugging my PS pass thru to my computer!. For $3 I bought the AC to USB dual power supply listed above and it kicks .... No way I'm gonna risk blowing up a very expen$ive MacBook Pro by running 2 amps thru the USB port. For $3 I get all the power the PT needs and no risks.

I'm glad that adapter worked out for you quitter. Mine is still going strong over 2 months and counting. Not one glitch or trip, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread