The Ever Changing ... Prodigy V1 (still not even at V2 yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkstheplanes

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
South San Francisco
Last edited:

mgrimes

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Seconded. They should behave like your standard USB -- the PS3 is, afterall, basically a PC.

Hey Walrus... If you ever decide to get a beret...

Just remember nothing is expected when it comes to USB. I recommend you go to a store, jack a PT into a PS3, vape once, determine you got "smoke" and bail.

My PowerBook G4 (late model before switch to Intel) will not work with my PT at all - light goes on, never any vapor - not enough to drive it. But my PT works like a CHAMP on my MacBook Pro. :thumb:

Last edited:

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
Thanks guys I guess I'll try what mgrimes said I just don't want anything bad to happen to my PS3 but the stores should be just fine to test with. After I find that out out the next will be a mini b adapter to see if it might work with the controller. Let u know after i get a PT.

If you are near electrical plug, you may want to try plugging the USB cord to electrical adapter and try that. That way your USB cable will work anywhere you have a plug. There is a deal today at one of the "deal" sites that has the Belkin USB Power Adapter on sale for $5:
DealsClick.com-One Great Deal Every Hour
But I have not tried the product, so I am not sure if it will work with ecig.

mgrimes

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
If you are near electrical plug, you may want to try plugging the USB cord to electrical adapter and try that. That way your USB cable will work anywhere you have a plug. There is a deal today at one of the "deal" sites that has the Belkin USB Power Adapter on sale for $5:
DealsClick.com-One Great Deal Every Hour
But I have not tried the product, so I am not sure if it will work with ecig.

Probably already been mentioned, but I use my iPhone A/C adapter when I'm near power and away from laptop with passthrough. Any modern iPhone/iPod A/C adapter will work just fine -- I say modern because the original iPods used Firewire.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
I must be missing something here. If 5volts is the sweet spot, then wouldn't a USB straight passthrough from a USB capable of 1-1.5 amps that has a switch be the exact same configuration as a prodigy? Then I could just wire in a switch from a plain passthrough with no batt inline to my kensington mini portable USB supply and have a) the 5 volt vape b)battery life and c) a simple kit and kaboodle that costs like less than 50 bux? Maybe that's a question for the modder's forum, but it seems to me like cut one wire and add a switch and its over. Or, just cut out the battery from a passthrough with a manual switch on the far end and then I have a prodigy experience?

Steve

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I must be missing something here. If 5volts is the sweet spot, then wouldn't a USB straight passthrough from a USB capable of 1-1.5 amps that has a switch be the exact same configuration as a prodigy? Then I could just wire in a switch from a plain passthrough with no batt inline to my kensington mini portable USB supply and have a) the 5 volt vape b)battery life and c) a simple kit and kaboodle that costs like less than 50 bux? Maybe that's a question for the modder's forum, but it seems to me like cut one wire and add a switch and its over. Or, just cut out the battery from a passthrough with a manual switch on the far end and then I have a prodigy experience?

Steve

Pretty much ... Thus, that is what the USBpass is for. The issue being, a USB power pack isn't as cheap to replace and cylinder type Li-Ion batts. Lots of people get a USB pass (which carries the switch) and plugs directly in to the power pack so they don't have to try and mod an existing USB power pack.

5v is indeed the sweet spot. We have been unable to find 5v Cylidrical Li-Ion batts, thus we use cheap OTC RCR's with a resistor :)

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Okay, Steve, I'm probably confused from the video featuring the "old" Prodigy, but which delivers a better vape when using the Prodigy: the 801 or the 901?

I can see the "better" getting complicated quick, so let me cut it down to these criteria:

1. Throat hit

2. Flavor

Those are the two that seemed to factor in on your video...

If the answer to this is somewhere else in this forum, then please accept my apology and point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Okay, Steve, I'm probably confused from the video featuring the "old" Prodigy, but which delivers a better vape when using the Prodigy: the 801 or the 901?

I can see the "better" getting complicated quick, so let me cut it down to these criteria:

1. Throat hit

2. Flavor

Those are the two that seemed to factor in on your video...

If the answer to this is somewhere else in this forum, then please accept my apology and point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Without actually having used a Prodigy, but having used both 901s and 801s on 3.7v and 5v, I'll go out on a limb and say that for throat hit, the 901 is stronger, and for flavor, the 801. That's not to say you can't get both on both.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Without actually having used a Prodigy, but having used both 901s and 801s on 3.7v and 5v, I'll go out on a limb and say that for throat hit, the 901 is stronger, and for flavor, the 801. That's not to say you can't get both on both.

Hi Walrus! If you wanted to get the throat hit and still get great flavor, would you just boost the level of flavoring in the juice?

Niniane

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Louisiana
(real question) i don't know that this has been asked, i know the "real" Prodigy will look like the pic, but do they actually have the "Prodigy" name on them, as they do in the picture?

would aesthetic alterations be a void to the warranty, such as pinstriping, permanent markers to write your name on it, painting it, drawing peace signs on it, etc? :)

I am curious about this as well (yes I admit it, I am a girl and therefore need to know if I'd be allowed to pretty it up/cover the big logo for fashion purposes :oops: )

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi Walrus! If you wanted to get the throat hit and still get great flavor, would you just boost the level of flavoring in the juice?

I honestly never really tried that... but I think part of the flavor loss is due to the heat generated... so I'm not sure how much that would help. It might just make the throat hit harder... speculation though.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
I honestly never really tried that... but I think part of the flavor loss is due to the heat generated... so I'm not sure how much that would help. It might just make the throat hit harder... speculation though.

Is it safe to assume that you will be trying this in the near future? I ask, because I've observed that you have a real talent for experimentation with juice (and everybody seems to love the results). :)

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009

On another thread, lachesis said that the 801 has a much easier draw than the 901, which could lead to insufficient vapor if the user draws too quickly on standard e-cigs. However, wouldn't the Prodigy's 5 volts produce accelerated atomization, making the 801's "super-easy draw" (I don't have an 801, so I am relying on lachesis' description) the best fit?

I think I've read here that USB passthroughs have 5 volts, so if that is correct, then anyone with both 801 and 901 USB passthroughs could presumably answer this question. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. :( If anyone does, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Is it safe to assume that you will be trying this in the near future? I ask, because I've observed that you have a real talent for experimentation with juice (and everybody seems to love the results). :)

I stuck with the original design, so I'm not going to have the higher voltage to play with until I get my mod working. We'll see...

mmmvaping

Moved On
Apr 2, 2009
LOL

We are already going against *the grain* with the size of the Prodigy. Don't want to kill too many birds with our first stone.

We will be making a smaller version of the Prodigy that will be due on in a couple months, and that will likely be a much different design than the original, so we may be able to feasibly add some cool features :)

Heck yea I hope its a great design. If its a good size and very sleek and metalic Ill be the first to buy.:thumb::thumb: THanks guys and look forward to seeing more of your sweet Mods. Im going to hold off for the new design mentioned above.:D:D:D:D:D

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Are you working on a home-grown mod?

yeah... the change in the Prodigy has me interested in making a mod that uses two 18650 batteries in series, regulated down to 5v. I want the best of both worlds :) Long battery life, and higher voltage.

Of course, it'll be heavy, bulky, ugly as hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread