The Ever Changing ... Prodigy V1 (still not even at V2 yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Guys ...

Spent roughly 2-3 days testing voltage regulators, diodes, resistors, etc... To find that perfect sweet spot.

After roughly 60-70 different pieces tested, and several overnight shipments later ... We have it finally perfected!

So, with that said. The Prodigy will be a 1 style volt Personal Vaporizer ...

Originally made, to work with both 3.7v and 6.0v+ power, we simply weren't happy with the result. 3.7v (once a higher voltage is experienced) is nothing ... literally. 6v, while still simply amazing, cooks juice at an UNBELIEVABLE rate ... and when in the hands of an inexperienced user, can toast atomizers like nothing ...

So with that said, We have now dropped the voltage on the Prodigy to run at its peak (under load) between 4.7v - 5.5v (5.0v average). This is the sweet spot for not only the 801, but for the 901/401/510. The throat hit is still intense, vapor volume has actually increased, and juice lasts roughly 30-40% longer than at 6v+. The harshness (that many people have issues with at 6v+) is now completely gone, and the issue of toasting atomizers unexpectedly has decreased immensely. Our goal was to find the perfect voltage for ALL atomizers that will be able to please 95% of the esmoking population and I think we found that!

For those that originally wanted to have a 6v+ ecig, please email Casey at info@puresmoker.com and we will have yours specially made. Otherwise, anyone who ordered the 3.7v 901 Prodigy's will infact be sent the new and improved. All Prodigy's will be shipping with 3.0/750mAh RCR123a Batteries WITH an RCR123a Specific Charger (not the original universal)

If anyone has any questions/issues/comments/etc... feel free to post. I will try and stay on top of them :)

Thanks Guys!

EDIT: O, and timing. We are roughly about 7-10 days out :)

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Steve,

So 18650's are no longer an option, even if we provide them ourselves? They won't fit anymore?

They will still fit (ID on tubing has not changed) Simply the eletronics. If you want to run either 6v/3.7v, let casey know. If you use a 18650 with the new Prodigy with resistor, it will drop the voltage under load to roughly 3.1X (volts)

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
How will the new design run with two 3.7v CR123's? I ask because I've got about a dozen of them :)

LOL ...

We didn't test with 3.7v batt's, simply because we didn't have any. We did have a couple screwy 3.0v pumping out roughly 8v, and underload with resistor, they were sitting at roughly 4.8 - 4.9v, so you are still in the very very sweet spot :D If used with the batteries that come from us, you will sit right at 5v ... I left the spread open so people can use their own RCR's and will still fall anywhere and inbetween of roughly 4.7v - 5.5v :) I would say roughly 90%+ of RCR's will work just fine :)

With the added .5 ohm resistance added by the resistor, we are looking at a run time on (2) RCR123a Batteries (3v/750mAh) of 1 HOUR STEADY. Meaning, you could hold the button down for up to an hour before needing a recharge. Taking that in to account, its safe to say there will be an average run time of 4-8 hours (depending on use) before needing a recharge, perhaps even longer. Those that have a PV at their lips 24/7 will be closer to the 4-5 hour range :)

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
sorry i'm a tad tipsy ... so it will stil be giving out more than the usuall e cig power of 3.7 volts ?????? .. its the higher volts thats attraced me

I wish I was :( HAHA ...

Yes, will still be pumping out more than 3.7v ... Roughly 1.5 - 2v more. More Voltage without the added headaches of cooking juice too fast and some harsh harsh hits when not fully juiced up :)

well thanks for the update sounds like it should work well as long as the soder joints and wiring are solid :p...other then that 7-10 days is a long time /pout
but thanks for all the hard work im sure the product will be worth the wait

I need to take a couple pictures of the Weller soldering guns ... They are freaking SWEEEEET !!!! And yes, we will be using LEAD-FREE solder, in case anyone is wondering ;) :D

Appreciate the kind words combo :)

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
While the higher voltage is intriguing, I've gotta stick to my initial reasoning behind the purchase... I've sent an email requesting the original specs. Now, if you made the resistor modular... that'd be great!

Hmm didnt know you could make modular resistors ...im pretty basic i understand resistors do just one thing which is resist electricity...im guessing a modular one is one that you can adjust somehow ?

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Hmm didnt know you could make modular resistors ...im pretty basic i understand resistors do just one thing which is resist electricity...im guessing a modular one is one that you can adjust somehow ?

I meant one that could be easily removed/bypassed...

I think a Prodigy with a potentiometer would be cool too :) Or even a rheostat...

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Modular = User able to add/subtract ...

The issue with that Walrus, is that the switch (where everything is located) is pinned in .... We have a very limited amount of space to work with (without making the prodigy larger which we don't want to do).

Not a problem on keeping it original! You can always dissect later and add your own resistor/diode :)

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
I meant one that could be easily removed/bypassed...

I think a Prodigy with a potentiometer would be cool too :)

ok lol now your using big words and i know i could probably just google it but im here and now so i just gotta ask

what is a potentiometer?....something that measures potential energy ?

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
Modular = User able to add/subtract ...

The issue with that Walrus, is that the switch (where everything is located) is pinned in .... We have a very limited amount of space to work with (without making the prodigy larger which we don't want to do).

Not a problem on keeping it original! You can always dissect later and add your own resistor/diode :)

hmm kinda figured that all the wiring and such was gonna be in the switch housing...im kinda curious though should any of that stuff ever fail is the switch/housing going to be user replaceable ?

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
ok lol now your using big words and i know i could probably just google it but im here and now so i just gotta ask

what is a potentiometer?....something that measures potential energy ?

A potentiometer is simply an adjustable resistor... think the dimmer knob on a light switch. A rheostat is a potentiometer with only two settings.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
hmm kinda figured that all the wiring and such was gonna be in the switch housing...im kinda curious though should any of that stuff ever fail is the switch/housing going to be user replaceable ?

Within the housing, no ... Thus the prodigy is not 100% modular. Adapters/end caps/etc... are modular, so we have a Hybrid :)

A potentiometer is simply an adjustable resistor... think the dimmer knob on a light switch. A rheostat is a potentiometer with only two settings.

We had lotsssssss of fun with a rheostat the last few days :)

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA

Great thanks for the answer only downfall is that now I get the feeling im gonna drink a lil bit too much one day and go around dissecting all the dimmer switches in my house ...
I can see my wifes face now when she finds me passed out on the couch with all the light switches missing and screwdrivers and magnifying glasses spread out all over the coffee table.

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
Within the housing, no ... Thus the prodigy is not 100% modular. Adapters/end caps/etc... are modular, so we have a Hybrid :)

We had lotsssssss of fun with a rheostat the last few days :)

hehe glad you had fun but what i actually meant is the switch housing with the wiring inside of it user replaceable ...I mean basicly is the whole switch user replaceable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread