When 5V really isn't 5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Guys, this can kill your computer no matter what your computer supports. It's called thermo dissipation. The heat will find it's way to your motherboard. That's what kills your mobo and since this thing is a beast, ya, get a 4 dollar ac adapter.

It's science, can't argue with science.
Thanks buddy. You do realize though most modern mother boards can operate at about 160 degrees F, so i am not sure is just due to thermo dissipation, meaning sure it could be a factor, but not the deciding factor. Could it fry it sure, so if you want to reduce the chance of effing your MB, then absolutely don't plug the thing into your computer. Me personally, heh, sometimes i do, most of the time i use something else.

V/R

Gibby

Last edited:

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I'm glad that adapter worked out for you quitter. Mine is still going strong over 2 months and counting. Not one glitch or trip, ever.

Thanks Markarich! That was a great tip!! The adapter is actually a pretty nice unit. Hard to believe they're going so chaep!! I think I'll order a couple more just to have around. I have one in my office. I think I'll get one for home and maybe one for the road when I travel.

Now my big issue is finding a USB for the car lighter that can handle the current. The two units I have now are rated at 1/2 amp and they flat out don't work with this PT. I'm gonna post a seperate thread to see if anyone has tackled this yet.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Thanks Markarich! That was a great tip!! The adapter is actually a pretty nice unit. Hard to believe they're going so chaep!! I think I'll order a couple more just to have around. I have one in my office. I think I'll get one for home and maybe one for the road when I travel.

Now my big issue is finding a USB for the car lighter that can handle the current. The two units I have now are rated at 1/2 amp and they flat out don't work with this PT. I'm gonna post a seperate thread to see if anyone has tackled this yet.

I've found one constant current one at 850mAh. Being constant current, it doesn't trip, but it will only provide 850mAh max, so the vape is not nearly as intense, but it does work. I reference it in post #26 of this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...er-adapters-work-ps-usbpass-3.html#post558949

You could always get a Kensington unit for you car, they are refernced many times in the above linked thread but here as well:
Portable Power Pack for Mobile Devices - K38021US - Kensington

You may be able to pick one up on clearance for REALLY cheap(last I heard it was $14.99 clearance price) at Best Buy. Which is fantastic considering the original retail price was $59.99

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Iwas actually able to locate one at:

usbfever.com - Accessories for USB Gadgets, PC, iPhone / iPod, PDA / Phone Accessories, Charger, Bike / Car Mounts

It's a bit pricey at $20 shipped (at least for a USB lighter adapter) and it's coming from Hong Kong, but it looks like it'll do the job at 2 amps! I'll keep you posted on how it works when I get it.

Yeah, definitely looks like it will work, good find. Keep us informed.

Wow, it seems alot of new ones have appeared since I last checked. Here's one from the UK:
http://www.buybits.com/product/sku_bb-amp-car-lighter-usb-adapter.aspx

Last edited:

kgonepostl

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
thanks buddy. You do realize though most modern mother boards can operate at about 160 degrees f, so i am not sure is just due to thermo dissipation, meaning sure it could be a factor, but not the deciding factor. Could it fry it sure, so if you want to reduce the chance of effing your mb, then absolutely don't plug the thing into your computer. Me personally, heh, sometimes i do, most of the time i use something else.

V/r

gibby

best-reply-EVER!

kgonepostl

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
I don't doubt that Casey. But, how many burned resisters have you seen due to a shorted atomizer? Think of your computer as being one of those resisters.

Kevin

Correct, you have your early voltage VA and everything after that is treated as a resister. The question is does it truly get hot enough? Idk, Some part of me thinks it doesn't but I still wouldn't plug it into my uber rig until I knew.

And there are multiple considerable factors which is a big duh. With the average noob not properly ventilating their computer by keeping it locked inside a tiny cubby in their office desk and it's already too freakin hot in the tower but I'll figure it out.

I'll consult my engineering friends, I have some ideas but I'll run it by them first. I'm gonna look up the heat threashold of my current mobo and try to compare the heat at the last resister point before it's treated to the computer to see if it even comes close

Casey is right though. Not really their fault. I'm very critical towards puresmoker but you shouldn't have to ask them to bend the laws of physics for you. You guys asked for a heavy hitter and they gave it to you.

Use a cheap usb wall plugin if your afraid. That will work pretty good me thinks. I never got their amperage reading though when they were doing the multimeter test though. If they could supply that for me I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Correct, you have your early voltage VA and everything after that is treated as a resister. The question is does it truly get hot enough? Idk, Some part of me thinks it doesn't but I still wouldn't plug it into my uber rig until I knew.

I'll consult my engineering friends, I have some ideas but I'll run it by them first. I'm gonna look up the heat threashold of my current mobo and try to compare the heat at the last resister point before it's treated to the computer to see if it even comes close

Casey is right though. Not really their fault. I'm very critical towards puresmoker but you shouldn't have to ask them to bend the laws of physics for you. You guys asked for a heavy hitter and they gave it to you.

Use a cheap usb wall plugin if your afraid.

I agree, I've been an IT pro for longer than the term IT has been around. So I naturally think about such things far more than I should. One of my friends recently had a problems with his son's PC. He had an external USB WiFi adapter that shorted out and it killed the USB ports on the PC's motherboard. Luckily that's all that died, it could have taken out the entire mother board. The newer PC's have been designed to handle this better than the older ones. I tried an older USB powered hub and it couldn't handle the power drain.

So, I don't recommend using a PS PT in your PCs USB port. Now the stock Joye-510 PT doesn't pull enough power to harm a PC. But it also is a piece of junk and doesn't supply enough voltage to vape with.

Kevin

kgonepostl

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
I agree, I've been an IT pro for longer than the term IT has been around. So I naturally think about such things far more than I should. One of my friends recently had a problems with his son's PC. He had an external USB WiFi adapter that shorted out and it killed the USB ports on the PC's motherboard. Luckily that's all that died, it could have taken out the entire mother board. The newer PC's have been designed to handle this better than the older ones. I tried an older USB powered hub and it couldn't handle the power drain.

So, I don't recommend using a PS PT in your PCs USB port. Now the stock Joye-510 PT doesn't pull enough power to harm a PC. But it also is a piece of junk and doesn't supply enough voltage to vape with.

Kevin

Netgear usb wg111 v2. Your speaking to the right guy. Even with a long usb cord connected to a hub it's bad. I opened it up after it got burning hot to find out that they didn't have the common sense to put a heat sink in the damn thing:lol:

Wireless dongles are the worse I've come accross so far when they come to heat. And I agree. I got a hint somewhere that it's only going to short out the usb port and not the mobo if it does happen. It's not a major component, I don't think it's gonna cause a short unless if it warpes the board.

That's why I gotta do this testing, glad you understand. We're in the same boat you and I.
And I have to note that it's not in constant use, I mean every nanosecond like a usb device so there's a cool down factor. People take 5-6 pulls and put it down for 10 minutes.

That's why brainstorming rules. You think of an idea and your happy you debunked your own idea. Still gonna run tests.....just to see if I can prove me wrong again! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread