Why / how do mods hold their resale value ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homedude

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2011
Conroe, Texas
I was genuinely surprised when I started comparing the prices of used mods to new ones... To say that they hold their value is an understatement. I look for used goods to be in the 50-60% of retail range but PV mods seem to be pulling 80% or more of their initial value. Is the supply really that low and the demand that high ? Is their usable lifespan really that long that they don't depreciate ? Please don't take this as a criticism of anyone selling in the classifieds. It's an honest question that I really don't know the answer to.

PsychOfMSE

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
Lexington, KY
The main reason is people pay! If no one would pay prices would drop

People will pay what they think an item is worth.

I, for one, love the fact that I can buy a mod and if it doesn't work out for me I don't get taken when I re-sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
The main reason is people pay!

these are the type of people used car salesmen absolutely love too see walk onto their lot !!!

week ago i seen a provari in the classy's selling for 3 dollars more then a new one,that was without shipping either

i got a new ipro with 3 sets of new batteries shipped for 110...that was a really good deal there !!!

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I was looking at getting a back up Provari but when they sale for 10 bucks less than I can buy a new one then no thanks. Anyone who pay's more than 70-80% for a used mod in new condition (no major blemishes) or 50-65% for one with a blemish or 2 is not too smart. Sure when something is in high demand and hard to get it will go for more than this and that is understandable but I see many mods like the provari that are easily obtainable go for 90-95% It is a sellers market here in the classifieds because of poor negotiation skills of the buyers. I have found myself browsing the classifieds every now and again just to get a good laugh at what people are paying :laugh:

Last edited:

Homedude

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2011
Conroe, Texas
If people are paying, you can't blame someone for asking...

I'm one of those people who like 'new' and is willing to pay extra and wait for it. On the other hand, it's nice to know that if I ever need to sell a mod, it should work in my favor.

It really is interesting watching and learning about the e-cig business as it gets a foothold and starts to gather mainstream acceptance. I wonder what 'cheap' mass produced mods like the lava tube will do to the market for handmade devices.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Anyone who pay's more than 70-80% for a used mod in new condition (no major blemishes) or 50-65% for one with a blemish or 2 is not too smart.

I must be one dumb sum........ After buying a new BP on sale from NotCigs, I bought a couple more, like new with extra goodies 'tossed in' off the classies, for 20-30 bux less than the new sale price. Not smart...

dunce.jpg

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
Some people on here are on a fixed income. So a penny save is a penny earned. I agree that some of the prices make no sense to me. I rather pay $10-20 more for a new item. But for others that extra $10-$20 is very much needed.

Plus if someone is willing to pay a higher resale item. Why not especially if you are low on funds

whitetortuga

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
United States
If I needed a mod or batteries, I would buy from some of the members here for 70%-80% the retail price. I figure why not? If they are reputable members, who have been here a long time, I'll support them! This forum has a lot to do with being a community; we share things, buy things, sell things. Think of it as a way for supporting someone else by getting what you want and they get what they want!

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.. A lot of these people have helped me out tremendously, and if I see a way to help them out, I'll jump on it.

Homedude

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2011
Conroe, Texas
Whitetortuga, I've typed and deleted a half dozen responses at this point and I can't seem to express my feelings without coming across as condescending or insulting. It is truly not my intent.

I've been a part of many online 'communities' for many years. I've seen people devote countless man-hours and dollars for the good of the community. I've also seen many people taken advantage of in the process. Simply put, I feel that if it truly was in a 'community' spirit, the sale price would be reasonable to begin with. If a respected member is truly in need, the community, and that persons true friends will step up to help them out. I can't drum up any sympathy for someone who is just making room for a new toy in their collection, they're just trying to make a buck and it's me vs. them. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just business.

I hope it's understood that I'm not bashing anyone or this community. I'm one of those people who try to keep friends and business very well separated.

golferman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Henderson, Nv USA
A lot of times you buy a mod and give it a try. And a lot of times it is just not what you have hoped for so you then sell it on the classys and don't take to much of a hit if any. I think it is a great process. I have bought at least 10 mods that I have turned around and sold. And if I am down 10% of my total investment I would be surprised. I was able to try these mods out for a week or so and was able to recoup most of my cost. I have tried out different tanks and have yet to find any I really like and have not really lost any money. If I had to buy, try and then sit aside I would really be hurting right now. I have 3 mods now that I have settled on. It was a 6 month trip but I am very happy with what I am using now. It has made it the trip to finding what really satisfieds you really painless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread