Why / how do mods hold their resale value ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Central Texas
invape.com
It is a sellers market here in the classifieds. If all your saving is a few bucks it makes it an unreasonable risk. If your saving 30-50% then it is worth it. Do you guy's not know how to negotiate? Salesman at electronic stores and cars lots love you guy's :pervy::laugh:

It's worth whatever someone will pay, actually. Salesmen at electronic stores and automobile lots? You make many uninformed assumptions.

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
Just remember that your mod is only worth something to another vaper. On the street, it holds no value.

Wait until said mod is out of stock or is in high demand. Then list it in the classys .

Just some advice from a classys addict

sent from my always glamorous Android using Tapatalk

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
Also, a lot of classy buyers are regulars. Most with a collection of mods worth more than most used cars. I know when I've got 50 mods sitting here that some never, ever get used. ....... & those would be the ones id be more likely to list in the classys. Essentially, if you buy from a mod horder--- you are buying new ( maybe vaped on once to try after getting it in the mail)

sent from my always glamorous Android using Tapatalk

TUC

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Central Texas
invape.com
I have found myself browsing the classifieds every now and again just to get a good laugh at what people are paying :laugh:

I usually browse them when I'm looking for something to buy, sell, or trade. I have little time or patience for those who purposely feel the need to belittle others, in order to feel better about themselves.

You sound like a used car salesman. :)

This is just my opinion...only my opinion...and cannot be held against me in a court of law.

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
Homedude - this is a community, for those of us in need just check out the "PIF" sub forum.

As far as the classies are concerned, "what the market will bear" is a big part of it.
But, mainly, it is because most of the best mods are made in batches by individuals,
and not ordered in bulk from a third party mnf. So, supply is low, demand is high, and
there is a long lead time.

The P18+ from SuperT is in such high demand, a seller could prolly get more than retail
just because buyers would be eager to get one instantly, rather than wait for one to
become available from the vendor and still have to wait for it to ship.

It is a sellers market and, unfortunately, there will always be people trying to take
advantage of this. But, like others said, this allows people to try mods and sell the ones
they don't like, without taking too much of a monetary hit.

For the most part, I think this is a good thing.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
For some mods this makes sense, where limited availability or perhaps a rare version applies.

that is understandable

This forum has a lot to do with being a community; we share things, buy things, sell things. Think of it as a way for supporting someone else by getting what you want and they get what they want!

if you look closer you will see it mostly a CONUS only community

A lot of times you buy a mod and give it a try. And a lot of times it is just not what you have hoped for so you then sell it on the classys and don't take to much of a hit if any. I think it is a great process. I have bought at least 10 mods that I have turned around and sold. And if I am down 10% of my total investment I would be surprised. I was able to try these mods out for a week or so and was able to recoup most of my cost. I have tried out different tanks and have yet to find any I really like and have not really lost any money. If I had to buy, try and then sit aside I would really be hurting right now. I have 3 mods now that I have settled on. It was a 6 month trip but I am very happy with what I am using now. It has made it the trip to finding what really satisfieds you really painless.

better research and you would get it right the first time

Salesman at electronic stores and cars lots love you guy's :pervy::laugh:

trust me !! you don't want to know how much i agree with the statement at all !!!

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I usually browse them when I'm looking for something to buy, sell, or trade. I have little time or patience for those who purposely feel the need to belittle others, in order to feel better about themselves.

You sound like a used car salesman. :)

This is just my opinion...only my opinion...and cannot be held against me in a court of law.

I just don't get why you guy's pay so much for used products :unsure: I don't need to feel better about myself I couldn't be happier at all. I quit smoking and with the money I am saving from that helped me get a 40% scale RC plane in like new condition for 3,800.00 New cost 5,500.00! I know nobody that pay's 95%+ for used anything unless it is hard to acquire. Provari's are not hard to acquire!

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I enjoy a couple mods and I think the analogy is best when you look at really cherished and popular classic cars.

Many of the high end mods are like "trailer queens" in the car world - bought, used very little, admired and polished. They sell for a lot to a happy bunch of hobbyists. For example, a 1970 Hemi Cuda convertible. They're not out grocery shopping. Their value holds or goes up.

For the rest of us, we get a "daily driver", like my '66 Dart GT convertible with a small block engine. It's fun and works, but could use a paint job and there's less interest and demand. I can park it at the grocery store. It didn't cost much and that's fine with me. I can drive it with the wind in my hair and go pretty fast, but it's not that Cuda.

So the most popular, somewhat hard to get mods are pricey to start and hold their value. Many do get daily use but unless you take them out a lot show little wear. They are works of art in the eyes of many.

My daily driver vape is a Roughstack, bought used for about 70% of new, or about $30. It goes everywhere with me and I don't have to worry about it. I'm a hobbyist on a budget, so I can drive my Dart to the grocery store and park it with the top down, and I don't have to worry about door dings. If I drop my Roughstack (again) as I get out of the car, it's just another scratch or chip. If I ever become a collector I'll be proud to show off my Precise beauties and Cuda at home but I'll still take the Roughstack out to play in the Dart.

The Cuda is worth it to someone who appreciates it, as are the sweet mods. Different strokes for different folks.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
I enjoy a couple mods and I think the analogy is best when you look at really cherished and popular classic cars.

Many of the high end mods are like "trailer queens" in the car world - bought, used very little, admired and polished. They sell for a lot to a happy bunch of hobbyists. For example, a 1970 Hemi Cuda convertible. They're not out grocery shopping. Their value holds or goes up.

For the rest of us, we get a "daily driver", like my '66 Dart GT convertible with a small block engine. It's fun and works, but could use a paint job and there's less interest and demand. I can park it at the grocery store. It didn't cost much and that's fine with me. I can drive it with the wind in my hair and go pretty fast, but it's not that Cuda.

So the most popular, somewhat hard to get mods are pricey to start and hold their value. Many do get daily use but unless you take them out a lot show little wear. They are works of art in the eyes of many.

My daily driver vape is a Roughstack, bought used for about 70% of new, or about $30. It goes everywhere with me and I don't have to worry about it. I'm a hobbyist on a budget, so I can drive my Dart to the grocery store and park it with the top down, and I don't have to worry about door dings. If I drop my Roughstack (again) as I get out of the car, it's just another scratch or chip. If I ever become a collector I'll be proud to show off my Precise beauties and Cuda at home but I'll still take the Roughstack out to play in the Dart.

The Cuda is worth it to someone who appreciates it, as are the sweet mods. Different strokes for different folks.

not a realistic analogy,,,how many mods been around for 40 years ?? been restored with OEM parts ?? owned by Elvis ??

TUC

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Central Texas
invape.com
I just don't get why you guy's pay so much for used products :unsure: I don't need to feel better about myself I couldn't be happier at all. I quit smoking and with the money I am saving from that helped me get a 40% scale RC plane in like new condition for 3,800.00 New cost 5,500.00! I know nobody that pay's 95%+ for used anything unless it is hard to acquire. Provari's are not hard to acquire!

I don't have a provari...yet. When I do get one, it may be here or there.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
I was looking at getting a back up Provari but when they sale for 10 bucks less than I can buy a new one then no thanks. Anyone who pay's more than 70-80% for a used mod in new condition (no major blemishes) or 50-65% for one with a blemish or 2 is not too smart. Sure when something is in high demand and hard to get it will go for more than this and that is understandable but I see many mods like the provari that are easily obtainable go for 90-95% It is a sellers market here in the classifieds because of poor negotiation skills of the buyers. I have found myself browsing the classifieds every now and again just to get a good laugh at what people are paying :laugh:

It is a sellers market here in the classifieds. If all your saving is a few bucks it makes it an unreasonable risk. If your saving 30-50% then it is worth it. Do you guy's not know how to negotiate? Salesman at electronic stores and cars lots love you guy's :pervy::laugh:

Dude, you have neither the time on the forum nor the maturity to comment here it seems.........

denali, you're darned right its CONUS -- do you know how hard it is to ship to some countries (sometimes illegal!8-o), the questionable postal system of yours and other countries, and the added cost that is not part of the listed price?:confused:

Homedude - this is a community, for those of us in need just check out the "PIF" sub forum.

As far as the classies are concerned, "what the market will bear" is a big part of it.
But, mainly, it is because most of the best mods are made in batches by individuals,
and not ordered in bulk from a third party mnf. So, supply is low, demand is high, and
there is a long lead time.

The P18+ from SuperT is in such high demand, a seller could prolly get more than retail
just because buyers would be eager to get one instantly, rather than wait for one to
become available from the vendor and still have to wait for it to ship.

It is a sellers market and, unfortunately, there will always be people trying to take
advantage of this. But, like others said, this allows people to try mods and sell the ones
they don't like, without taking too much of a monetary hit.

For the most part, I think this is a good thing.

Well said, Vapndrgn. The classys have helped ,e on my vaping journey immensely -- and the mod I haven't liked someone else has and vice versa. I mean, the thing still works perfectly and is undamaged, why would it lose value? Some are pieces of vaping art that cannot be duplicated IMO -- since this is part of my fun on the forum I'll stop here............

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
I don't have a provari...yet. When I do get one, it may be here or there.

choose wisely grass hoppa

Vaping is really in its infancy. That being said, there are many more to come, and what you see here now...well, some WILL undoubtedly be worth many times their original worth. It's simple economics...supply/demand.

Hudson,Edsel,Studebaker ??

Rare find for sale:

1962 Silver Bullet with LR Boge Cartos
Owned by the King himself

$500,000.00 OBO
PM if interested

Also available:

Ocean front property in Arizona- Priced to sell!!!!!!!!!!

tipped the chair over backwards laughing so hard at that,,won't be able to sleep for i'll still be laughing about that :)

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Dude, you have neither the time on the forum nor the maturity to comment here it seems.........

denali, you're darned right its CONUS -- do you know how hard it is to ship to some countries (sometimes illegal!8-o), the questionable postal system of yours and other countries, and the added cost that is not part of the listed price?:confused:

Well said, Vapndrgn. The classys have helped ,e on my vaping journey immensely -- and the mod I haven't liked someone else has and vice versa. I mean, the thing still works perfectly and is undamaged, why would it lose value? Some are pieces of vaping art that cannot be duplicated IMO -- since this is part of my fun on the forum I'll stop here............

what,now there is a quota before you make mature postings here ??

have you ever tried to ship fresh fish worldwide ?? i have and it is a helluva a lot harder then a man made piece of metal

what could you possibly mean by a hidden cost that is not listed in price ,,seems you fit the smoker stereotype

if you want to ship to alaska ..its as easy as putting it in a box and mailing to the next state

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
This thread seems to be a little childish. People are making fun of others is NOT ok... We are ALL adults here if not you shouldn't be on here. When you are looking to sell your mod remember this when you ask for 85% for the price. I think people here feel a community here. They want to help there fellow vapor. A few dollars to people matter.

Bottom line instead of making fun and writing weird comments about car saleman dream customer. If you don't like the price DON'T BUY!

BTW I have not purchased or sold an item here before, however I am in sales which is why I find your comments childish. This is the standard on this site. When you sell an item go and sell it at 50% off. I think the op wrote it in a curious way and then a few people felt the need to be childish... Have fun with that. Remember you are acting like a child ONLINE that is just a whole sad situation in itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread