Why isn't a mech for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
I've hinted at this question elsewhere tonight, but thought I'd cut to the chase here.

Why isn't a mech for me?

One poster a while back commented, "If you need to ask why, (why buy a mech), you'll never understand." Well, I think understand why, and am giving serious thought to buying aone or two.

I enjoy tinkering, I like durability. I build my own coils, love experimenting with those, and love trying varieties of wicks etc. And yesterday I got into, yes... got into, lubricating my kit.

My issue is this; some say that unless a person sub-ohms/uses RBAs, then there is no real point in buying a Mech. Well, I don't sub-ohm, far from it. I don't see myself buying a Kayfun as yet. My Protanks are fine, as are my 2.0-2.5ohm coils. (I'm happy with my Protanks. I have enough spare glass tanks and spare post for coil re-building for the next few years. The o-rings are the weak link. No o-ring lasts forever).

Would a Mech disappoint me? Can an MVP do better? To be honest, my MVP is set on 3.7v 95% of the time anyway. I guess it's the purest side of me that is after a mech.

Finally; I have done the research on battery safety and electrical math. So I'd be pretty OK as a beginner as far as that side is concerned. I only ask because it's going to be expensive to set up. Mechs are cheap. A good DMM, good batteries and a good charger isn't).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
With a mech you are limited to the battery voltage as it goes from 4.1v down to 3.5v. Most of us switch and charge at 3.5v to prevent stressing out our batteries. So, your vapor on an atomizer with a given resistance begins to fade with the battery.

On a variable voltage/wattage mod you get to adjust the voltage and the electronics will keep your vape in the sweet spot. The reason sub ohm vapers choose a mech is because of current limitations of variable mods. Most will cut off and display a code at less than 1.1 ohms resistance because the current load exceeds the specs on the MOSFET ( Metal-Oxide Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor). Most mods will handle somewhere between 3 amps and 4 amps max. Past that, they quit and turn themselves off internally until the excess load is removed.

So, you only need a mech if you vape in the sub ohm range. A .8 ohm coil at 3.7v pulls 4.6 amps at 17 watts. That takes a mech.

Last edited:

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
Honestly the mech isnt teh best choice for a protank IMO. I do have a protank set for mine though when I dont feel like dripping. its 1.1ohm with 5 wraps of twisted 32. no t a huge hitter but does the job.

mechs and rebuildables are much better together and worth buying. Although my kayfun and russian didnt wor out for me, genesis atomizers taste better.

Really up to you, but if I was only used protanks I would stay with a VV/VW mod or buy a kick for the mech

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
I'm very happy with my MVP and have no real interest in sub-ohming, *and* I hate messing around with any form of li-ion batteries "naked" (i.e. without lots of protections built around them, a la the MVP). It's not that I consider mechs unsafe - they're not, as long as you use some sense - but I've seen nasty, nasty things happen with li-ions in power wheelchairs back in the 80s, so even though today's batteries are an order of magnitude safer, I just hate messing with them.

But, all of that said... I'm looking into mechs. Should all the legal stuff go down in the worst possible way for us, I want to *already* have (and know how to use) something simple and reliable with replaceable batteries, and mechs fit that description. I'm not worried that mechs will be ever be difficult to obtain - in an absolute worst case scenario, most mechs aren't all that difficult to build from scratch, just time intensive - but if regulations get seriously draconian, the last thing I want to be doing is trying to *learn* how to use a mech when my MVPs battery decides to die for good. So, I'd rather pick one up now, when I have time to consider what I'd really like, and when I can vape off the MVP as I'm taking my time getting to know my mech.

I think it's worth considering one or two as an *investment*, if nothing else. Just because you can sub ohm on them doesn't mean you have to, and if you like vv/vw, you can always kick it.

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
Should all the legal stuff go down in the worst possible way for us, I want to *already* have (and know how to use) something simple and reliable with replaceable batteries, and mechs fit that description.

Exactly!

Mechs seem durable in more ways than one. As ECF members often say, "have back ups of your back ups." In this case, have back ups of your EVs, know one knows what's around the corner.

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
Exactly!

Mechs seem durable in more ways than one. As ECF members often say, "have back ups of your back ups." In this case, have back ups of your EVs, know one knows what's around the corner.

Yep. Thus why I have 2 MVPs that I use currently, plus one new in the box, and I plan on getting about one a year for as long as I can, whether I need it or not. $40 was less than a week's worth of smokes when I was smoking, so $40 a year is doable.

I'm flat broke right now, but next payday I'll get a nitecore charger and some vtc5s (about $40 total), and a payday or two after that I'll be ready to start seriously considering which mech I want to go with (probably a cheap but reliable nemesis clone - the worst complaint I've heard about those particular clones is a crunchy switch, but that's fixable with two bucks worth of magnets.) Right now, I can still take my time and spread the cost out a little.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I don't sub ohm and doubt that I ever will. I have both electronic and mechanical devices.

The reasons I have mechs -

1. The long term economy of a removable battery device. Buy the device once, replace only a $10 battery after 6 to 12 months.

2. Smaller size compared to unwieldly long tube style devices. A 18350 mech and a kayfun nano makes a rather compact package. Even with an 18650, it still beats a vamo by about 2 inches.

3. They are pretty (at least some of them).

4. Day to day reliability, not much to go wrong. Although I have nothing to complain about with either Vamo and MVP in that department.

5. Longevity, no electronics to fail. Even if dropped in water, just dry it off, clean and go.

6. Durability, fear of government restrictions on equipment. What if I can't get an MVP due to regulation when my current one wears out? I think most of of my mechs will still be working.

7.Cheap. At least the mass produced ones (clones or otherwise) are half the price of a regulated mod.

8. Can add a "kick" for VV or VW operation if I want to, for flexibility.

Many of the same arguments apply to re-buildable atomizers.

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I have vaped for years on egos and protanks. I have been using a Smoktech SID for awhile trying out the vv/vw world. I bought a mech just because I like to tinker. Mechs arent anything more than a battery and a switch. VV/VW devices have advanced over the years so the art of mechs is slowly dying. Mechs are more durable and easily fixed. No electronics to fry or crap out on you.

As far as batteries and chargers, My opinion is they are the most overlooked items in are vaping gear and the most used. If you have the cheapest batteries and chargers that are of low quality then your experiences are gonna be less than stellar. Replacing gear every 6 months is expensive in the long run especially. Multimeters I feel are neccesary in my view because you use them for checking your batteries, coil builds, charger output etc. Sure you can use your vv/vw device but why wear your threads out just to check things?

At the end of day, if you do your research you can have great vaping gear on budget:) both vv/vw and mechs. If you like to tinker get a mech that takes a battery that your next dream vv/vw device might be. It will save you from buying more batteries of different size later on down the road.

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA
Yep. Thus why I have 2 MVPs that I use currently, plus one new in the box, and I plan on getting about one a year for as long as I can, whether I need it or not. $40 was less than a week's worth of smokes when I was smoking, so $40 a year is doable.
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MVP will still for even if stored. If legislation were to outlaw sale of these items... The first few may get a decent life but eventually, I believe, the other new ones in the stockpile will die or have an extremely lacking battery storage.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I say if your happy with Pro Tanks and the MVP why acquire more , if you plan on continuing to vape for the long term thats a different story but buying devices kind of confirms your commitment to continuing to vape and i don't like that part of it.

Thats one reason i can't get over the fence about purchasing more vaping gear , my MVP's kick .... and do it for me , why spend more $$ when i don't have to. I love being able to rebuild PT 's over and over , really keeps the costs down and my MVP works great with my Kayfun as well.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So, you only need a mech if you vape in the sub ohm range. A .8 ohm coil at 3.7v pulls 4.6 amps at 17 watts. That takes a mech.
Not anymore. Even last year's high-end regulated mods would handle 0.8 ohms and this year, there are quite a few that will run 0.5 ohms and lower.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I love and primarily use mechanical mods. I don't sub-ohm and I only use RBAs (mostly KFLs and sometimes drippers). I build my KFLs at 1.3ohms and they satisfy me from 4.2v down to 3.7v. I don't miss regulated devices and I enjoy the simplicity and durability of mechanicals. I like small setups that I can throw in my pocket so I mostly use 18350s and nano tanks.

I don't know whether or not a mechanical is for you, but I get annoyed when people say there's no point unless you sub-ohm. It really depends on how you like your vape and if you like really high wattage then you're going to need to build low or super low resistance builds. I used to buy 1.5ohm cartomizers and vape on my Provari at around 4v, and I do occasionally enjoy using a box mod at 30w, but for everyday use I really do enjoy my mechanicals. The lowest that I build are dual coil drippers at 1.0ohms and I don't think anything above 1.5ohms would satisfy me on a mechanical.

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MVP will still for even if stored. If legislation were to outlaw sale of these items... The first few may get a decent life but eventually, I believe, the other new ones in the stockpile will die or have an extremely lacking battery storage.

Yep, that's why I'm not going nuts stockpiling them, and am looking at getting into mechs instead. I've been vaping 9 months now, 8 of that off two MVPs, (So about 4 months worth of heavy, heavy use a piece), so I expect to need that boxed one in about three months... at which point I'll get a new one, and be using that one in another 3-4 months, etc. I don't plan on letting any sit around for longer than that, for that exact reason. But I like having one un-used one already in my possession at any point in time, lest anything major fail on one of my main two before I'm expecting it to go. If I buy roughly one a year, and I also kill one dead a year, then there's not really a stockpile as much as it's "there's always one ready to go without having to make a panic order because I'm down to one MVP."

icemanistheking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Bella Vista, AR
Dave, from what it sounds like, you would enjoy mechs. As for the subohm thing, there is an entire high end forum made up mainly of old school vapers who balk at the idea of subohm vaping, and several of today's most coveted mechs and attys originated on that forum (Hellfire, Satburn Mini Mod, etc.). Many other big mech modders have a presence there as well.

So whoever says that you need to subohm to enjoy a mech or you don't need a mech if you don't subohm is completely full of it :)

Edit: Though, even though you like rebuilding your Protanks, I think you should give RDAs and RBAs a shot. You wouldn't regret it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread