The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Will FDA interfere with domestic purchases?

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by Bellinghamster, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bellinghamster

Bellinghamster Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2008
    Bellingham, WA USA
    So I have no idea how the FDA interfaces with US Customs and USPS. I would assume customs agents apply FDA guidelines when deciding what cargo to impound, but what about USPS? Do they screen domestic shipments for possibly FDA banned substances?

I assume they don't screen for nicotine, as so many people buy analogs on the Internet [I've heard].

Unless something leaked and was analyzed, domestic shipments should not be interfered with, should they? [I'll say though that one domestic shipment I received was marked "Hazmat surface only" - and it only contained one of those nefarious Lithium Ion batteries]

So, do the domestic suppliers assume all liability because they are the importer? If I only purchase domestically do I have virtually zero exposure? Legal stuff makes my head spin...

2. brandeeashlynn

brandeeashlynn Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2009
    i was wondering what is goin to happen to target.com and costco.com they still sell njoy. Are they seeling them illegally or is it just how suppliers market them that makes certain sales illegal. Does it make all sales illegal now matter how they are marketed?

3. Lithium1330

Lithium1330 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2008
    Mexico
    customs hasn't listed a product called "e-cigarette" maybe target's and costco's suppliers are labeling the product in a way that customs has no problem with them, because in all seized packages they said it wasn't listed, just guessing.

4. jamie

jamie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    Njoy seems to be gone off the Target website.

5. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    You are right Jamie--was just there the other day on Target's web site. Either they ran out because of the China New Year or had so many returns that they gave up on it. Also it could be because of something we do not know about:confused:--Sun

6. itsbetterthansmoking

itsbetterthansmoking Unregistered Supplier

Feb 6, 2009
    Austin Texas
    Target must have pulled it today, since I saw it there just yesterday. Costco.com still has it up.

7. halopunker

halopunker Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2008
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I wrote target an email inquiring about it :p

8. OutWest

OutWest Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2009
    Oklahoma USA
    re: target.com

My guess is one of three things:
    they ran out
    it's a 3rd party vendor who ran out (some select 3rd parties can sell on target.com)
    their lawyers had it pulled.

9. jamie

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    Thanks and please post if you get (or not) a response.

10. b00stzx3

b00stzx3 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Maybe they didn't tell the truth about replacing atomisers and the longevity of the carts... Buncha kids I know bought the $150.00 ripoof DSE901 from a mall kiosk, and question why theyre not getting "2 packs worth!!" of nicotine from a cart, or the atomiser dying. People just need to google forums and find out the truth about things before they rush out and trust joe shmoe at the mall kiosk.

11. halopunker

halopunker Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2008
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Dear Rob,

We recently sold out of the NJOY Smokeless Cigarette Starter Kit, and can't say for sure when it might be back in stock.

As we rely on our suppliers for the inventories, we can't offer a definite date when this item will be on hand. Your best bet is to check back every once in a while to see if it's available.

<Insert Crap about Target.com Here>

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we can be of more help to you in the future.

----

Oh, and it's back up today :p

12. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    I just checked and Target does have it back--I saw them post NJoy over the Holiday as simply "will ship in 3 to 4 weeks". So my thinking is that they just pull it totally from the website instead of posting the 3 to 4 weeks ship time? Sun

13. jamie

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    Whew! Glad to see that. I was afraid it was a legal issue. Target used to be fairly conservative in that arena. Thanks for checking Halo!

14. jamie

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    Still wondering about Njoy status at Target....
    We're sorry, but your search for “njoy” returned 0 product results.

15. The Widow

The Widow Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 7, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    No longer on the target website, but Costco still has it

16. Walrus

Walrus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The USPS has no way to know what's in your package... overseas shipments must list contents on a customs label. Short of a suspicious substance leaking out or possibly a working dog smelling something, I don't see any risk at all.

The problem comes from the fact that most if not all US suppliers get their stock (or at least ingredients) from overseas. If they can't get their shipments through, they have nothing to sell domestically.

17. Programmer

Programmer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    Des Moines, Iowa
    And if those little Chinse buggers can't get the shipments to where they are going, they are goin to be very unhappy Chinese buggers. So... as things evolve legal-wise they will learn to re-label.

18. booboo

booboo Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'm always paranoid when I go to the post office to pick up my e-cig packages. I have 3orders from China sitting there right now! I'm always afraid they will say I can't have them or they have to inspect them for drugs or something?! (and I will have to go off and make a scene!) Weird, huh?

19. JJames68

JJames68 Full Member

Jan 25, 2009
    seems to me the anti-smoker folks would of found something if there was something to be found bad about these by now - are they just upset because we have found a alternative to smoking a cigarette that we enjoy

20. JJames68

JJames68 Full Member

Jan 25, 2009
    sounds like the fanatical non-smokers were never worried about second hand smoke to me, now it seems they are just worried about it "looking" like you are smoking

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_11873938

"But anti-smoking groups say that's exactly the problem. They fear that it will reintroduce a "smoking culture" into places where people no longer are used to seeing wisps of smoke and cigarettes hanging from people's mouths."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.