Will FDA interfere with domestic purchases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
So I have no idea how the FDA interfaces with US Customs and USPS. I would assume customs agents apply FDA guidelines when deciding what cargo to impound, but what about USPS? Do they screen domestic shipments for possibly FDA banned substances?

I assume they don't screen for nicotine, as so many people buy analogs on the Internet [I've heard].

Unless something leaked and was analyzed, domestic shipments should not be interfered with, should they? [I'll say though that one domestic shipment I received was marked "Hazmat surface only" - and it only contained one of those nefarious Lithium Ion batteries]

So, do the domestic suppliers assume all liability because they are the importer? If I only purchase domestically do I have virtually zero exposure? Legal stuff makes my head spin...

b00stzx3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Frederick, MD
Maybe they didn't tell the truth about replacing atomisers and the longevity of the carts... Buncha kids I know bought the $150.00 ripoof DSE901 from a mall kiosk, and question why theyre not getting "2 packs worth!!" of nicotine from a cart, or the atomiser dying. People just need to google forums and find out the truth about things before they rush out and trust joe shmoe at the mall kiosk.

halopunker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
New Philadelphia, OH
Njoy seems to be gone off the Target website.
Dear Rob,

We recently sold out of the NJOY Smokeless Cigarette Starter Kit, and can't say for sure when it might be back in stock.

As we rely on our suppliers for the inventories, we can't offer a definite date when this item will be on hand. Your best bet is to check back every once in a while to see if it's available.

<Insert Crap about Target.com Here>

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we can be of more help to you in the future.

----

Oh, and it's back up today :p

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Dear Rob,

We recently sold out of the NJOY Smokeless Cigarette Starter Kit, and can't say for sure when it might be back in stock.

As we rely on our suppliers for the inventories, we can't offer a definite date when this item will be on hand. Your best bet is to check back every once in a while to see if it's available.

<Insert Crap about Target.com Here>

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we can be of more help to you in the future.

----

Oh, and it's back up today :p

I just checked and Target does have it back--I saw them post NJoy over the Holiday as simply "will ship in 3 to 4 weeks". So my thinking is that they just pull it totally from the website instead of posting the 3 to 4 weeks ship time? Sun

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
So I have no idea how the FDA interfaces with US Customs and USPS. I would assume customs agents apply FDA guidelines when deciding what cargo to impound, but what about USPS? Do they screen domestic shipments for possibly FDA banned substances?

I assume they don't screen for nicotine, as so many people buy analogs on the Internet [I've heard].

Unless something leaked and was analyzed, domestic shipments should not be interfered with, should they? [I'll say though that one domestic shipment I received was marked "Hazmat surface only" - and it only contained one of those nefarious Lithium Ion batteries]

So, do the domestic suppliers assume all liability because they are the importer? If I only purchase domestically do I have virtually zero exposure? Legal stuff makes my head spin...

The USPS has no way to know what's in your package... overseas shipments must list contents on a customs label. Short of a suspicious substance leaking out or possibly a working dog smelling something, I don't see any risk at all.

The problem comes from the fact that most if not all US suppliers get their stock (or at least ingredients) from overseas. If they can't get their shipments through, they have nothing to sell domestically.

Last edited:

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
The problem comes from the fact that most of not all US suppliers get their stock (or at least ingredients) from overseas. If they can't get their shipments through, they have nothing to sell domestically.

And if those little Chinse buggers can't get the shipments to where they are going, they are goin to be very unhappy Chinese buggers. So... as things evolve legal-wise they will learn to re-label.

JJames68

Jan 25, 2009
sounds like the fanatical non-smokers were never worried about second hand smoke to me, now it seems they are just worried about it "looking" like you are smoking

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_11873938

"But anti-smoking groups say that's exactly the problem. They fear that it will reintroduce a "smoking culture" into places where people no longer are used to seeing wisps of smoke and cigarettes hanging from people's mouths."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread