• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Wisconsin Vapers - up for a vape in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Sweet Vicks. I can be there at 10 30. Let me know. Glad to hear JC is thinking of coming on board!!

I really think we just need to tell them about how much less dangerous eCigs are than cigarettes for both us AND others around us. It's such a no brainer, to me.

I'm not usually an activist, but I can learn, in the name of something I really believe in, like vaping!!

That message from the ECA President is pretty well done.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
That message was AWESOME - I was cheering while I was watching it (man, did my son look at me funny...)

I will be putting up what I come up with for our flyer on my blog on either Tuesday or Wednsday night....that gives me TR to update, correct, add, etc. Friday I will have them printed off.

Anyone else starting to get excited? I'm pumped!

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
OK - they threw a tea party on tax day to protest the taxes in this state - why can't we sit on the steps of the Madison capitol building, and vape as a statement.....We could educate all the people who come in and out of the capitol on a daily basis, hand out information on the Waxman bill, and get ourselves heard?

Anyone interested? I'd love to get to meet all my fellow in-state vapers as well as do something constructive to get our gizmo's some press.....

Discussion - NOW!

I have been mulling this over. I just got back from the Tea Party in Madison a few weeks ago. I'm thinking in a few months all of Dane County will be 'smoke free' (not vape-free). We get a TV news-reporter (on that day) and go to a Dane County bar and VAPE!

By the way, have you ever heard of Vicki McKenna? She is on the radio and if it wasn't for her I never would have even known about e-cigs.

Your neighbor in Brookfield

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
By the way, have you ever heard of Vicki McKenna? She is on the radio and if it wasn't for her I never would have even known about e-cigs.

Your neighbor in Brookfield

MlrGrl said the same thing - she listens to Vicki McKenna, too, and that's where she first heard of ecigs. I asked her to contact Vicki via email...I'm hopin.

Gonna join in C-? Love to have you come along...

playerags

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Brussels, Wisconsin
ya know, one week into these things I read a post about someone that had an analog and said it tasted horrible and dirty. I thought to myself, yeah right:rolleyes:, you're just trying to convince yourself. Two weeks in I completely agreed with him. I LOVED cigarettes. LOVED em. I always said the only thing better than a good steak was the cigarette afterwards. Now I smoke one analog a day to remind me how bad they taste.

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
Hey guys, whoever was going to email me did not. Or I missed in the pile of spam I get. Whatever you are planning, please let me know. I wonder if we couldn't get a little media attention on this. Channel 27 in Madison seemed interested when I told them about the product. vickimckenna@clearchannel.com

Vicks - this is the lady I was talking about. Probably the most powerful and influencial woman in the State. Oh, and she is really nice too.

Dadio

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Vicks - this is the lady I was talking about. Probably the most powerful and influencial woman in the State. Oh, and she is really nice too.

Dadio

That's an understatment!
I'm not one of those people that's all "oh...yah...she's a woman and we need more woman blah blah blah...." I've always believed when one comes up and earns my attention and respect, then they will have it.

Who knew in 2008, I'd actually discover TWO women in the world who have left me impressed.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I just finished sending Vicki McKenna an outline of our plans - this is the EM I sent her....

Vicki

Hi. I am known on the ECF as Vicks-Vap-oh-yeah, and I am the one nominally planning our event. I am very pleased that you joined the ECF to get me this message...and am thrilled to have you interested.

Our timeline is: May 11th, 10:30 am - 12:30pm We will be on the Capital Steps, vaping, handing out informational flyers, and answering questions about our cause.
We will break for lunch, and be back at 1:30ish. We may or may not decide to do the afternoon session, depending on the reception of the morning session. I do not want to cause undue alarm or make this out to be a hostile gathering...it will be an education/informational gathering, we are trying to get information of a flawed Tobacco Control bill in the right hands before it is voted on and signed into law.
The upcoming Tobacco control bill - H.R. 1256, the Family Smoking and Tobacco Control Act, is the legislation that we oppose in its current form. The bill is scheduled to come up for debate in the Senate (it has already passed in the House) soon.

-The bill was sponsored by Altria - who own Philip Morris, makers of the Marlboro brand of cigarettes. If passed in its current form, the bill would have the following provisions:

1)The FDA cannot outright ban traditional tobacco cigarettes...but they can't say they approve them, either. Cigaratte manufacturers cannot state they are regulated or controled by the FDA (some think this would send the message to citizens that cigarettes are "approved" by the FDA) So, very hush, hush on this - the hill doesn't want the public to know this is going on.....

2)The FDA could do the following with tobacco:
1-control the amount/content of advertising for tobacco sales
2-control the amount of nicotine in a cigarette
3-control any alternate tobacco and/or harm reduction products on the market since 2007.

This means SNUS, chew, dip, snuff, our E-Cigs, and I'm not sure what else would be firmly under the thumb of the FDA, and would be held to pharmacological testing standards to be marketed in the US instead of mirrored against the product they are intended to replace (cigarettes). Bottom line is that with FDA regulation you can kiss any new products bye-bye (unless marketed as an NRT, limited use product) for the next 10 years for long term tests to be completed, at an estimated cost to the manufacturer of 20 million dollars.

3)Here's the real scary part: The FDA, if given control of nicotine, will direct the tobacco companies to reduce the amt of nicotine in their cigarettes, in an attempt to make cigarettes less and less addictive. Clear thinkers can see that if you put less of the addictive substance in a cigarette, yon smokers are going to smoke MORE cigarettes to get their fix....So this bill will make tobacco sales SPIKE (and tax $$ increase, too).

We would ask that our Wisconsin Senators

- oppose this legislation unless/until it is amended to allow the least hazardous smokefree tobacco/nicotine products to remain on the market, and
- to support tobacco harm reduction amendment(s) for smokefree tobacco/nicotine products that are consistent with provisions in the Burr/Hagan bill and the Buyer bill.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need in the way of information from me, and if you will be joining us in either a civilian or news capacity.....just for the record, I would LOVE to have TV coverage of our little event.

I will be working on our formal hand-out tonight, and will post it here and on my blog for review and suggestions on revision....

This is getting bigger and better all the time - I'm so pumped!

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Wow....this is really coming together well, Vicks! Congrats and great effort y'all are putting into this! If I was still living in the Twin Cities, I'd gladly drive over just to support my cheesehead cousins! ;-D Best of luck and I look forward to hearing how the event went! I would certainly like to see something similar happen here, in NC!

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
OMG! I was just writting up a note to Vicki, checked the thread for something and just saw the EM you sent her -

THANK GOD I didn't get a note off to her. You ROCK! What a great letter!! You hit every talking point exactly! So much better than anything I could have done.

I am sorry that I was tardy, but I'm not sorry I didn't get it sent....(does that make sense? LOL)

Now, I don't know if it can reach, but now turn on 1130AM...Vicki should be on right after the hourly news.
With the news this morning of State Senator Jon Erpenbach's lastest sneakiness, I have a feeling smoking, both analong & E may be a big topic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread