Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
With RX200 turned off, hold FIRE and DOWN for a few seconds and it will display the battery voltage in each battery as the board is sensing them. That is what I was asking you to do. Wouldn't hurt to have a multimeter.
The RX200 is one of the most inaccurate battery voltage meters I ever seen in my life!

Reactions: Sun Valley

ichihollow

May 20, 2016
The RX200 is one of the most inaccurate battery voltage meters I ever seen in my life!
It's like that with anything I've ever worked with that measures its own status. I don't think I've seen anything, other than a cellphone and they're not fantastic at it, that does a really good or accurate job of that. The other thing I will say about that is the method the RX200 uses is not set up for accuracy. The main current is three batteries in sequence, and two wires that attach to the two connections between the positive and negitive of the batteries. The chip's processor is then calculating battery status off of the readings between the board and battery 1, between battery 1 and battery 2, between battery 2 and battery 3, and between battery 3 and the board. If they wanted the chip to be accurate, the batteries would all have their own connections to the board. The way it is done is to make it cheaper to produce.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
It's like that with anything I've ever worked with that measures its own status. I don't think I've seen anything, other than a cellphone and they're not fantastic at it, that does a really good or accurate job of that. The other thing I will say about that is the method the RX200 uses is not set up for accuracy. The main current is three batteries in sequence, and two wires that attach to the two connections between the positive and negitive of the batteries. The chip's processor is then calculating battery status off of the readings between the board and battery 1, between battery 1 and battery 2, between battery 2 and battery 3, and between battery 3 and the board. If they wanted the chip to be accurate, the batteries would all have their own connections to the board. The way it is done is to make it cheaper to produce.
The Reuleaux DNA200 is wired the same way and it is dead on accurate. And it is those readings on the RX200 that it decides whether your batteries are imbalanced or not. That is kinda important to monitor. You just can't guess if it is imbalanced or not. That is just crazy!

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Agreed, but it will be a good indicator of what the board is sensing from the batteries as connected to throw the error message. He put an rx200 board put it in something else w/ 3) 26650s and we have no idea if the wiring is in proper sequence. Seems like a simple test worth performing to help determine if a wiring error was made or if the board must be replaced.

ichihollow

May 20, 2016
Agreed, but it will be a good indicator of what the board is sensing from the batteries as connected to throw the error message. He put an rx200 board put it in something else w/ 3) 26650s and we have no idea if the wiring is in proper sequence. Seems like a simple test worth performing to help determine if a wiring error was made or if the board must be replaced.

That's out for debate because the chip reports 5.41 0.00 0.00, it doesn't stay up long enough for me to take a picture with my phone but it doesn't matter of I move the batteries around or now I get the same readout with a few tenths in difference in the reading. That's way wrong though because the batteries should only be 3 to 4 volts, batteries say 3.7. But the device reports battery 1 @ 5.41.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
That's out for debate because the chip reports 5.41 0.00 0.00, it doesn't stay up long enough for me to take a picture with my phone but it doesn't matter of I move the batteries around or now I get the same readout with a few tenths in difference in the reading. That's way wrong though because the batteries should only be 3 to 4 volts, batteries say 3.7. But the device reports battery 1 @ 5.41.
As I understand it:
  • 1st lead should read voltage of 1st battery against ground.
  • 2nd lead should read voltage of 1st battery + voltage of 2nd battery against ground but the display should subtract voltage of 1st cell and compensate for resistance so display reads voltage of 2nd cell.
  • 3rd lead (+ on board) should read voltage of 1st battery + voltage of 2nd battery + Voltage of 3rd battery against ground but the display should subtract voltage of 1st cell & 2nd cell and compensate for resistance so display reads voltage of 3rd cell.

What it is telling you is that the leads are hooked up wrong to the board. You are getting 5.41v because 2 batteries in series are being reported to the board on that cell balance lead or the board may be no good. Try disconnecting the balance leads and switching them around. It may correct the issue or the board may be damaged.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Hmm, that does change things based on your description of how the board uses the monitor wires. I didn't think it would matter which junction they were attached to, but it very well might be the whole problem if that's how the board is doing it.
Electronically I don't know how else it could work. Lets just hope the reversal did not damage the board.

ichihollow

May 20, 2016
I swapped the battery monitors connections, saw smoke, quickly removed batteries, checked wires tried again no smoke battery voltage, as reported by chip 0.35 0.00 0.00, I will have to recheck voltage from the three batteries with a multimeter again, earlier all three batteries produced 4 volts individually, and 12 volts when testing the positive and ground connections at the board.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I swapped the battery monitors connections, saw smoke, quickly removed batteries, checked wires tried again no smoke battery voltage, as reported by chip 0.35 0.00 0.00, I will have to recheck voltage from the three batteries with a multimeter again, earlier all three batteries produced 4 volts individually, and 12 volts when testing the positive and ground connections at the board.
Well maybe you had them right the first time and the board was just bad. Supposedly has reverse battery protection so it shouldn't have torched. The smoke was a bad sign though. Think the reason it was given to you with those instructions was that it was bad in the first place.

Sorry if I gave you bad advice, but I know you understood my reasoning.

ichihollow

May 20, 2016
Well maybe you had them right the first time and the board was just bad. Supposedly has reverse battery protection so it shouldn't have torched. The smoke was a bad sign though. Think the reason it was given to you with those instructions was that it was bad in the first place.

Sorry if I gave you bad advice, but I know you understood my reasoning.
It was worth trying, it was a warranty replacement because of a scratch, supposedly, but this might have been the real cause of the return.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
It was worth trying, it was a warranty replacement because of a scratch, supposedly, but this might have been the real cause of the return.
Wouldn't be surprised if the damage was done long ago. People don't give away mods with those instructions for no reason. Shame you destroyed the case as they are pretty robust and a DNA75w board putting the 3 batteries in parallel would have been simple, relatively inexpensive and given the mod a new lease on life with much more accuracy, Escribe functionality, or you could have made a dual battery squonker out of it.

ichihollow

May 20, 2016
Wouldn't be surprised if the damage was done long ago. People don't give away mods with those instructions for no reason. Shame you destroyed the case as they are pretty robust and a DNA75w board putting the 3 batteries in parallel would have been simple, relatively inexpensive and given the mod a new lease on life with much more accuracy, Escribe functionality, or you could have made a dual battery squonker out of it.
Chip might be dead but the project isn't, just time to go in a different direction is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread